CH 6: Hares & Contempt

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

The light hiss of waterfalls and the sweet bloom that carried on the wind only made a sound

The light hiss of waterfalls and the sweet bloom that carried on the wind only made a sound.  Its smokey wood was adorned with draping ropes, bells and tassels that matched the flowers in color. Many other decorations were strung all around seating areas as they swayed in the breeze. I placed my hand on its trunk and greeted the tree as I had when we first met: As a friend.  

Like it was nothing at all, Seventeenth jumped up impossibly high and plucked a few fruits from the branches and landed with a light thud on the ground. 

I have to remember, Seventeenth and everyone here, they are all immortals. The power of Mo Yoan, Seventeenth's speed and strength; it is nothing at all to them. I guess I will get used to seeing it one day.

Si Yin opened his hands, and four large blushing fruits were gathered in his palms. One of the fruits had a flower bud that clung to its stem still. Si Yin set the fruit down and gently placed the baby blossom between his fingers. 

"Oh, forgive me little flower, you were not ready to leave from the tree..."

Si Yin plucked the plump flower bud and smelled it with a smile for a moment before looking my way.

"Here, Prizzy, let us not let this blossom be wasted." 

He reached over to me and placed it in my hair above my ear. He handed me a fruit and we sat down to enjoy them. I bit into the familiar sweet velvet flesh as nectar filled my mouth while I looked around the sacred grounds. 

I heard Si Yin make a breathless gasp. 

"P-P-Priz-zy ... Y-You really are friends with the great tree... The bud.. The bud in your hair is..is... is blooming!!  

I felt a tickle by my ear and placed my fingertips over it as my eyes widened. Instead of the once plump bud; there was a fully bloomed blossom in its place.  A smile gleamed across my face and my eyes raised to the great tree with adoration. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Si Yin's innocence warmed my heart. His sweet, toothy smile turned up his cheeks as he talked to his food.

"Sixteenth brother will be making pies out of you soon. Soon we will enjoy candies as well!" He looked to me then. " Before you came, Prizzy, we had only tea from the petals and leaves. Now that you have pleased the tree so, we will get to enjoy so much more from these peaches."

Peaches...

"These are called peaches?" I chirped.

"Yes, pink peaches actually, the best kind. The flesh on the inside of these are especially colored. That is one reason why their taste is so rich," His brow raised, and he looked at me quizzically then. "Have you really never had a peach before?"