Just Pretend

(After planning all night with the help of your aunt and uncle on how and where to take Lizzie on a date. It's the next morning you decide to wear one of your favorite band shirts and black jeans with all white air forces on your first day of high school)

(Y/N sees Lizzie waiting him you by the porch and says his goodbyes to his aunt and uncle and goes outside)

Y/N: (smiles) How long have you been waiting outside for?

Lizzie: Not that long I told your aunt I was gonna wait for you outside now come on we don't want to be late for our first date (walks down the stairs)

Y/N: (thinks to himself) I'm gonna ask her during lunch (smiling)

Lizzie: (notices you smiling) what or who gots you smiling like an idiot idiot? (Jokingly pushes you)

Y/N: (taken out of his thoughts) Oh nothing don't worry about it liz (shyly smiles)

Lizzie: Hmm sure Y/N whatever you say (loops her arm with yours)

(Y/N once again getting butterflies but was determined to ask Lizzie out later today)

(It was lunch time Y/N is looking all over for Lizzie, and when he finally sees her, he sees her laughing with some guy and his smile quickly fades away)

Lizzie: Hi Y/N! Meet my new friend Alex we met during drama we got partnered up together (smiles)

Y/N: (feeling a bit of jealousy) Hi Alex it's nice to meet you (forces a smile)

Alex: (smiles) likewise Y/N (sees his friends) I gotta go Liz but are we still up to go over the syllabus and material that Mrs. Robertson gave us?

Lizzie: Yes definitely! (Says excitingly while you just stand there awkwardly)

Alex: Great! I'll see you after school (he walks away)

Y/N: He seems nice (says with a weak smile as you both walk to the lunch line)

Lizzie: He really is! We just clicked right away we got so much in common he dreams to be an actor just like me (grabs a lunch tray and the lunch lady gives you two slices of pizzas)

Y/N: So that means we won't walk together after school huh? (Both of you takes a seat at the lunch table)

Lizzie: I'm sorry Y/N but we gotta go over.. (you interrupt her)

Y/N: The syllabus and stuff your drama teacher gave you to look over with each other, yea I heard (looking down)

Lizzie: Are you okay Y/N? You seem off (looks at you concerned)

Y/N: (blinded by jealousy and soon he has second thoughts he decides to not go through with asking Lizzie out and decides to just pretend everything is fine) Yea I'm fine Liz just feeling a bit overwhelmed from last period.

Lizzie: Oh okay (doesn't believe you but goes along with it).

(After school Y/N sees Liz and Alex walking home together and feels like he just received a gut punch it hurt seeing her with some other guy but reassured himself their just friends. He grabs his iPod from his backpack and puts on his headphones and hits shuffle and Crawling by Linkin Park starts to play)

(Once he arrives home he sees Liz and Alex talking and laughing, Liz sees you)

Lizzie: (yells) Hi Y/N!

(You see her waving at you but you don't say anything and just wave back at her then make your way inside your house)

Alex: Are you okay Liz?

Lizzie: (seems concerned) Yea I'm fine, where were we??

(Y/A/N sees you come in)

Y/A/N: Hey sweetie how was your first day (notices you sad) What's up honey? Did you ask her?

Y/N: Uh no actually I didn't I chickened out auntie (drops his backpack by the door goes to the living room sitting next to his aunt)

Y/A/N: I feel like I know why, does it have to do with a certain gentleman who's currently with her next door? (you don't say a word you just nod your head) awww honey come on talk to me, why didn't you ask her?

Y/N: (sighs) You should've seen how she looked at him and I was just awkwardly just standing there yea they just met today but it made me feel jealous and like I've been pushed aside

Y/A/N: Sweetie your over thinking again like you said they just met it far too soon to assume anything (rubs your back) so don't give up okay? (Smiles)

Y/N: You're right auntie just let my insecurities get the best of me (smiles) she's still my best friend that's what really matters.

(But as time went on Lizzie and Alex became really close and then became something more they started dating in the second semester of the 9th grade and soon you and Lizzie have slowly drifted apart as you have your own group of friends and she has her own group of friends. To take your mind off of her you and along with your new friends have started going to the gym and once senior year came around you've gotten to the greatest shape of your life)

June 7 2008 4 Days before graduation

(Lizzie goes next door to see you. Even though you two drifted apart as time went by she still cared about you she knocks the door expecting you to open the door but instead your aunt answers the door)

Lizzie: (surprised) Oh hi Mrs L/N, is Y/N home? He hasn't answered my text messages

Y/A/N: I'm sorry Liz you just missed him (let's her inside and sighs) We need to talk.

Lizzie: Is everything okay?

Y/A/N: It's about Y/N, he made me promise not to tell you but I believe you deserve to know (takes a deep breath) He has enlisted into the military Liz he's leaving right after your guys graduation. (Says sadly)

Lizzie: (shocked) Why? I'm his best friend he should've told me

Y/A/N: Was his best friend Liz after you've met Alex you pushed him aside completely forgetting about him and to top it all off you and Alex been dating for about 4 years now honestly it crushed Y/N when you told him. It's like he heart was ripped from his chest because....

Lizzie: Because what?

Y/A/N: Because he liked you like was head over heels for you Elizabeth and frankly I'm shocked that you are  just now founding out about this everyone knew how he felt for you but you drove him away(starts tearing up) Y/N is my nephew but in all honesty I see him as my own son Elizabeth, me and his uncle tried so hard to convince him not to enlist but he was determined saying that is what he wants to do for a living so we just decided to respect his decision (wipes away her tears)

(The words that Y/Ns aunt said shock Lizzie to her core cause she too felt the same for him but deciding not to ruin their friendship she pushed them feelings aside but it didn't matter because she still  managed to ruin their friendship once she met and later got into a relationship with Alex then suddenly someone opens the front door it was Y/N and his uncle)

Y/U/N: Honey we're home

(Y/N just freezes at the sight of Lizzie while she waves hello to him with a sad smile)

A/N: Wow that was a long chapter sorry for the huge time skip but we're inching closer to meat and potatoes so to speak of the story, where things heat up between them stay tuned for the next chapter!