1. An Unexpected Night

Bella Reynolds

There are police cars everywhere as I arrived home from a long tiring day. I get out of the car too stunned to speak and what I see next completely shakes my soul up. Rendell is handcuffed and constantly saying something to the police, but I am so shocked that I can't even hear him. I can't believe what I am seeing. I think maybe I am seeing things because I am tired.

''Officer, at least wait until my wife comes home,'' I am just looking at him trying to take in everything that is happening when Rendell's gray eyes meet my brown ones which bring me back to life.

''Rendell? What's going on? Why are you handcuffed?'' I have a list of questions to ask him but I try to stay calm.

''Bella, I swear I didn't do it,'' He pleads.

''Do what?'' I ask impatiently. I have no idea what is going on, but I have never seen him like this before. Rendell looks away which makes me lose my calmness and my hands squeeze into fists.

I turn to the officer standing beside Rendell with a questioning look.

''Rendell Morgan is arrested for the murder of Mason Green,'' The officer has a bored expression on his face when he explains to me. My eyes widen at his words and the paleness of my face is a dead giveaway that I can't believe what he just said.

I never even in my wildest dreams could think of Rendell and murder in the same sentence. I lower my head as my eyes flood with tears but I don't let them come out. You can't cry now. You have to be strong, Bella. I tell myself.

Then I turn to Rendell, but he is already looking at me. We stay like this for a while not knowing how to speak.

''Bella, I didn't do it. You know me. Mason was more like a friend to me than a colleague,'' Rendell is the first one to break the silence and I am speechless for the first time in my life. It takes me a while to speak.

''Rendell, I trust you,'' I take a step towards him and hold his face in both my hands.

''I will get you out of jail no matter what. You just have to be patient. Can you do that for me?'' And then I give him a promising kiss. It is more like a promise to myself that I will get the love of my life out of jail. No one can mess with my family. We both are unable to open our eyes for a few moments afterward.

''Rendell Morgan, it's time,'' The officer's words make us open our eyes. Rendell tucks a strand of my hair behind my left ear.

His next words nearly break my heart. ''I love you, Bella. Don't forget that,'' I think it's my first time hearing that in so long.

I decide to call my best friend for some moral support, but as always he is too busy to answer my calls.

''You have a right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you,'' The officer states the Miranda rights to Rendell as he opens the car door for him to get in.

''I'm his attorney, so I will be coming with him,'' The officer gives me a doubtful look. I still don't know his name, but he looks somewhere between his late thirties to early forties.

''I'm a criminal defense lawyer,'' I immediately clear his doubt. The officer looks irritated as he is constantly rubbing his left eyebrow and tapping his right foot. What a rude man he is. I feel a sudden urge to slap him in the face because of his unprofessional behavior.

''Don't worry officer, I won't insist on coming with you. I have my ride,'' I assure him in a professional tone to make him realize how unprofessional he is being. In return, the rude prick just nods which makes my blood boil and I am just one step away from strangling him when my eyes lock with Rendell's. My deadly expression softens when he smiles at me.

''I'll be right behind you,'' I tell Rendell. He gives me an assuring nod. After throwing daggers at the officer with my glare for at least a minute, I leave for my car.

I would have considered crashing that rude dude's car if my husband wasn't in it. I start my car thinking of different ways to slap some sense into that officer's useless brain.

My schemes against the officer are interrupted by the vibration of my phone. I pick up the call from my only friend and the person who does all the dirty work for me.

''13 missed calls! I told you no work calls after 10 PM. I am in the middle of eating vanilla ice cream off of David,'' He chuckles and I could hear David snort in the distance.

David and Aaron met a year ago. David was one of my client's cousins. Aaron and David clicked immediately the moment they locked eyes and the next thing I knew they both were dating. They might be the most compatible couple I've ever seen. Aaron is always happy around David. I feel bad for David as Aaron is such a pain in the ass. But I've seen how much they love each other and don't get me started on the fact that they can't keep their hands to themselves, even in public. They both need some serious lessons on self-control.

Even Rendell and I have no sparks left in our relationship. We have been together for eight years and married for three years. My parents, dead now, never liked Rendell because he didn't come from a rich family. They thought he didn't belong in my elite world, but I always ignored them. My heart never stopped beating for Rendell.

Let me fill you in on the details of how Rendell and I met. We met on a blind date when I was twenty. His friend, Harry, was supposed to be there, but he sent Rendell instead. I guess, he was too lazy to come on a blind date. Rendell and I talked a lot and exchanged our numbers. We regularly texted each other. I developed a crush on him. Then one day Rendell asked me out on a date out of nowhere. I immediately said yes and the rest is history.

''Too many details and it's important Aaron,'' I use my serious work tone now because only then he will give me all his attention.

''If it's about the case of Camila Greg that Adam is working on, then let me spoil your mood. He's doing great and I heard some people at the court say that he will most likely win this case in the next trial. And if you're that curious, why not ask him yourself? After all, y'all are gym buddies,'' He keeps complaining and I can still hear David laugh in the distance.

''It's not about Adam and we are not buddies. We only happen to use the same gym which is not the point right now. Rendell's been arrested and I'm on my way to the police station. I'm sending you the name of Rendell's colleague, get me his details. Oh and by the way, the colleague's dead,'' I say in a sharp tone as I am getting irritated by Aaron's jokes which I would normally handle with a middle finger and a few cuss words that I have only reserved for him, but today my mind is captured by other things that I even ignore the fact that Adam is about to win, yet another case.

Adam Walton has been my worst nightmare since law school. He was better than me at everything. He was better at school, he scored more in the bar exam, and now has a higher win percentage than me. On top of that, he has the face of a Greek God, which angers me even more. And the worst thing about using the same gym with him is his smirk every time he wins a case.

''Bell, I'm so sorry about Rendell. You must be worried, so I won't ask you any further questions. I'll get you his dead colleague's details by the morning. Do you want me to come?'' His sympathetic tone brings me out of my thoughts about a particular forest green-eyed devil.

''Thank you, Aaron. No need to come. I'll handle it on my own. I'll fill you in on tonight's details in the morning,'' I am back to my normal self.

''Don't worry and take care, Bells. Call me if you need anything,'' He sounds genuinely worried for me. Other than Rendell and Grandi, my grandmother, Aaron is the only person who cares about me.

He is always willing to help me, but also because it's his job as I pay him. He's a private investigator and we work side by side. I'm so glad that he chose this occupation because I don't know what I would do without him.

I miss the days when Aaron and I used to live next door to each other. I was only eight when Aaron and his family shifted next door. We didn't talk for at least a year, and then one day when I was crying outside my house because dad and mom fought, Aaron came up to me and comforted me by saying how it should be illegal for beautiful girls to cry. That made me laugh and we became instant friends. After that, we hung out every day and have been inseparable ever since.

''You too and say hi to David for me,'' With that, I cut the call and arrive at the police station not long after that.

''Showtime.''