7. Dinner with the Waltons (Pt. 1)

Bella Reynolds

After my encounter with two assholes, out of which one ended our conversation with a wink, Aaron and I went to Rendell's former workplace. On our way, Aaron forced me to spill the beans on Adam and my convo.

I had to tell him in order to shut him up but left out the part about the other asshole who almost made contact with my face. Aaron texted everything to Amy. He is faster than the media. I mean, come on, it's not a rom-com. No one wants to know what happens between Adam and Bella.

We arrived at Glacier Co. in about 15 minutes. The manager of Rendell and Mason's department, Dylan Richards, was determined to not let us talk to any of Rendell's team members. What an adamant bastard. I never liked that guy anyway.

His stubborn ass melted with greed when I offered him a generous amount of money. He was ready to forget the code of ethics the moment I said ten thousand. What a cheap creep. Dollar signs were visible in his eyes.

There were two other members on that team other than Rendell and Mason. I talked to Mia Jacobs while Aaron talked to team leader Susan Mark.

I know Mia very well. Rendell used to bring her a lot to our house. I asked her mostly about Rendell and Mason's interactions. After finishing every sentence, she would tell me that she doesn't think Rendell is a murderer. She told me there was no bad blood between Mason and Rendell.

Aaron told me that Susan was sure Rendell can kill someone. She said that there was indeed bad blood between Aaron and Mason, however, she didn't know the reason.

Dylan didn't know anything about that. He said he rarely saw Aaron and Mason interact, but when they did, it was nothing bad. Just work.

Aaron and I finished our interrogation in less than an hour. We both were confused after we shared the details of both Susan and Mia's side of the story. Only Rendell can clear my confusion now.

After finishing our business at Glacier Company, Aaron and I went to the morgue where Mason's body was kept. I won't be lying, but I've seen worse bodies than his. However, I feel really bad about Mason, as I have interacted with him so many times. The murderer beat him to death, then he shot him in the head.

According to the police, the person who fired the gun knew where to shoot. The person was familiar with the gun. I could use it to my advantage, as Rendell has never once held a gun in his hand.

Aaron and I were done with today's work by the afternoon. Aaron left to have lunch with David, and I went home.

______________________________________________________________________________

As I enter the mansion, I take in my surroundings, and as I guessed, James isn't anywhere around. So the cutie is a fast learner. Without any further delay, I take the stairs to meet Rendell, but Grandi stops me in my tracks.

''Where were you, young lady?'' Grandi asks as if she didn't know about my job.

I turn my head and get down the stairs to where Grandi is standing wearing a beautiful gray Dior dress.

''I work, you know,'' I tell her matter-of-factly.

''You are back from work, so I am assuming you are free this evening,'' she doesn't ask me. She just throws her assumption into my face. I hate her bossy side. I think that's where I got my bossy attitude from.

''Yes. I am. You are not taking me to some elite-class party. Are you?'' I hope not. I don't have the energy to doll up for a party. The only parties I attend now are Christmas parties hosted by either Aaron or Grandi.