2. Devil's Night

Bella Reynolds

This day keeps getting worse. Rendell is charged with first-degree murder and now I have to see that rude prick calling himself an officer again. Also, his name is Caleb White, but I'm still gonna call him a rude prick because why not.

It is hard to get Rendell out on bail because according to the new law, judges have the option to set bail in almost any case involving a violent felony.

He is at the police department and is being held in police custody pending a court hearing. I have to prove Rendell's innocence before he is sent to jail. Typically, the court hearing will be within 48 hours. I can't even imagine what must be Rendell feeling. He must be so heartbroken.

God, I miss him already. Tonight was supposed to be the first night after almost two months when we were going to be home at the same time. Rendell is an app developer. He has been working nonstop on a new app which was supposed to be launched in 2 weeks from now. I feel really bad for Rendell. Rendell was working hard on this app.

I've also been really busy for the past 3 months. The only time I came home in these 3 months was for dinner and to sleep at night. I even showered at my gym.

Gym. The worst thing about my gym is that I have to see Adam Walton. That guy doesn't say anything, but his forest green eyes, love the color, by the way, say everything. I mean, why do his eyes have to be my favorite color? This is so unfair.

He sometimes looks directly into my eyes like he's thinking something. I feel so self-conscious under his intense gaze. It's like he could see straight through me. We both play a silent game with our eyes where the one breaking eye contact first loses. I try to win every time, but then the devil starts doing dumbbell shoulder presses out of nowhere. I mean, I don't want to see him work out. I am more interested in walls than his sexy body. Body, I mean. Just body. Ignore the word sexy.

The point here is, that Adam should leave this gym and go somewhere else. There isn't just one gym in New York City. I once thought of joining another gym, but then I thought why should I be the one to go? I don't wanna give him the idea that he has an influence on me by leaving. Which he doesn't.

I've been using this gym for a year now when Rendell and I shifted here for his job purpose. Adam was already a member of this gym. Stop thinking about a certain green forest-eyed Devil. I tell myself. Damn Adam Walton, stop invading my thoughts or I'm gonna sue you.

Now, I'm sitting in my car outside my house. Our House. Rendell and my house. I'm not used to living alone even if it's for a day. I get scared when I'm alone. Suddenly, the thought of my dead parents crosses my mind.

They died two years ago in a car accident. Their car's brakes failed as I was told. They left me with their fortune of 39 billion dollars. When I left them for Rendell about three years ago, I also left the elite life that was given to me when I was born.

I loved my parents and they loved me, but Rendell became my whole life shortly after I met him. My parents didn't even attend my wedding. There were only 4 people at our wedding. Aaron, Grandi, my cousin Amy and Rendell's uncle Ronald. Rendell's parents are divorced and he doesn't talk to any of them.

My thoughts were interrupted by my stupid phone.

''Aaron told me everything. I told you that Robert wasn't the right guy for you. He proved me right. Murder, seriously,'' Grandi is yelling at me from the other side of the phone. I'm scared for my life now. She rarely gets angry.

''Rendell,'' I correct her.

It has become her habit to call Rendell by different names just to prove to me how much she doesn't care about my husband. According to Grandi, he doesn't deserve me and only loves my money. But that's where she's wrong.

He never cared about my money. He knew when I left my parents, I also left all the money behind. His love for me still didn't change a bit. He loves me for who I am, not for my money. That's what I've been trying to tell Grandi since I married Rendell, but she thinks Rendell's sweet words have blinded me from seeing his greed.

"It's not what you think. He's innocent,'' I clarify. The night isn't even over yet, but things are getting out of my hand. Maybe I should just cut the call. She will understand, right? I thought.

''Don't even think about it, Bella Reynolds,'' she yells even louder. Wait, what? Is she a mind reader or something?

''I will be sending James in the morning. Bring all your stuff here. You can't live there alone. Also, your workplace and the Supreme Court are not very far from here,''

Her tone is authoritative.

''But Grandi, I can't-,''

''No questions asked, Bella,'' She cuts me off immediately. WOAH! I'm getting more scared of her now. She doesn't wait for me to reply and cuts the call.

''Aaron Ridley, you are dead meat,'' I yell to no one in particular and get out of my car.

It's Adam Walton's night. Devil's night, I mean.