9. Coffee Dispute

Adam Walton

It's been two days since that horrible yet fun dinner. 5 days till I finally start as a prosecutor. It's a mystery to most people how I suddenly landed a job as a prosecutor. Well, most people are just jealous.

I've been leading the law world for the past 2 years. Being one of the best defense lawyers in the city also brought me a lot of enemies. People fear me. My father wants me to take over his job and manage Ander Waltson. However, I wanted to try a different path before I fully started managing our firm.

My grandfather started this firm with my grandmother about 50 years ago. They were equal partners. Then, they fell in love. The business bloomed after just 4 years of its commencement. Our law firm is currently leading the law business. It's considered second best in the country and best in NYC.

I had been planning to switch to prosecution for a very long time. Then, I saw a great opportunity after I learned about Bella's situation. It only took me a few millions to take over Edmund Kent's job as a prosecutor. My connections also helped me to get this position in such a short time.

Now I am sitting in my Diavolo Red Aston Martin V12 Vantage outside Starbucks. Yesterday I went to Glacier Co. to investigate more about Mason Green's conflict with Rendell Morgan. Everyone had different things to say. So, I didn't believe anyone.

Mason's sister Clair showed me a few screenshots of Rendell and Mason's conversation on texts. It's not solid proof, but it's a start. My cousin, Luke, is a hacker. He will surely be ready to help me if I ask him. I just need to know what goes on Rendell's phone. In his statement, he said he was at his uncle's house on the night of Mason's murder.

I went to the crime scene and tried to clear my assumptions. Police, not prosecutors, are in charge of the crime scene and the initial investigation. However, police investigators welcomed my help.

Coffee is the only thing keeping me from sleeping. I hardly sleep for 4 hours each day. No, I don't have insomnia. I just work hard. The only way to concentrate is if I sleep less. It's the secret to my success.

I am about to get out of the car when my phone starts to vibrate. I hope it's not Luke calling me to borrow my Yacht, Bella. This reminds me of the day when Bella embarrassed herself when she heard me saying her name. It was so satisfying seeing her pale rosy cheeks go red with embarrassment. She looked pretty cute. I can't help but smile at the memory of her flushed cheeks.

My phone vibrates again, forcing me to check it. Aiden. My asshole of a brother never leaves me alone. I have been constantly ignoring him after that dinner. He was an asshole for speaking in that manner with Bella. Aiden hates meeting new people.

But once you know him he turns out to be the sweetest person.

I was pretty surprised about how well Bella handled the situation. Normally, she would just get up and throw her drink in the face of the person. I was secretly wishing for that to happen. I would have loved to see the look on my little brother's face if that happened.

I pick up the call up knowing that he won't shut up if I keep ignoring him.

"What the fuck do you want, Aiden?" I ask him harshly. He deserves this after pulling that stunt 2 days ago.

"Yo, big bro. Don't be so harsh. Are you still mad at me because of dear Bella?"

Of course, I am. I don't say it. He doesn't need to know. I know he didn't mean to be rude. It's just that he can't help it. Seeing new people just brings out the worst in him. He is not an introvert. He just doesn't like a lot of people in his life.

"Do you have something important to say?'' I ask, annoyance clear in my voice.

"I have two important things to ask. First, which song should I cover next? Strawberries and Cigarettes or Little freak?" he asks excitedly.