20. A punch straight to the heart

Bella Reynolds

I am trying to understand what just happened. Not too long ago I was having a civil conversation with Adam, at least that's what a civil conversation is in my opinion, now Rendell is standing on the third step of the stairs looking between me and Adam with rage-filled eyes. Not to mention, he just tried to injure me with a now-broken glass.

I try to make sense of everything and glare at Rendell. "Rendell, what the hell?"

"You invited my enemy without telling me." Oh. I totally forgot Adam's the prosecutor. He's not wrong though. Adam is Rendell's enemy and mine too.

"He's Grandi's guest." I clarify. I know I shouldn't and that Rendell doesn't deserve any explanation, but it just felt right in the moment.

"But this guest seems to make you more happy than your Grandi." Rendell moves his feet towards me.

Being a direct target of Rendell's glass attack somehow terrifies me. I have never once been a part of any dramatic fights. I am trying to collect myself here. I don't want Adam to know that any kind of violence just freezes the hell out of me. I can see from the corner of my eyes that Adam's hands are clenched into fists.

Rendell stands in front of me with his bloodshot eyes filled with rage. "Rendell, you are drunk. We will talk tomorrow." It wasn't supposed to come out as a whisper. Now everyone's aware of my nervousness, including my mortal enemy.

"Will you please me too after you're done with him?" Rendell says in a scathing tone.

"Rendell, watch your mouth." Grandi raises her voice from somewhere behind me.

I meet Rendell's eyes in disbelief. He seriously can't think that I am sleeping with Adam, my mortal enemy, the person who gets on my last nerves. Most of all, he is accusing me of infidelity in front of Adam.

Rendell ignores Grandi and takes another step towards me. I notice for the first time that he's holding another whiskey glass in his hand. "Tell me you haven't slept with him while I was worried about my future," he shouts in my face and throws the glass behind me forcefully.

I flinch, my eyes filled with tears now. I can't believe I am letting Rendell slut shame me. But my mouth decides to be selectively mute in this situation.

I finally collect my emotions and reply, "I'm not going to argue with you when you're drunk."

"Why not? Has your fuck buddy asked you not to talk to me?" He accuses even further.

I am about to slap Rendell because I am not dealing with a piece of crap like him when Rendell is punched out of nowhere by none other than Adam Walton. I immediately take three steps back, because the sound of the punch from this close nearly made me deaf. Or was it the sound of Rendell's jaw breaking?

"Shut your filthy mouth before I do it for you," Adam growls.

Rendell raises his head and rubs his jaw in pain. God, his mouth is bleeding. "Oh, so he provides other services in exchange for you sucking his dick?" Rendell laughs evilly.

Adam takes a step towards him. "You fucking-

"Adam, leave," I say loudly.

Adam stops in his tracks and turns his head towards me in confusion.

"Bella, this piece of shit-

It's my breaking point and I start crying. Adam approaches me in haste. He is about to touch my face when I take a step back. "Please," I beg. I wipe my unending tears with the back of my hands like a kid. "I can't deal with you right now," I whisper, so only he can hear me.