34

Katya cried out as Kirigan fell to his knee, looking up at us. He glared, and I was unsure if it was meant to be aimed at me or Inej. The world seemed silent for a moment as he reached a hand up to pull the knife from his chest. But as he did, black veins crawled up his neck. My eyes widened.

"It will take more than this!!" he yelled, standing once again as he threw the blade to the ground. He lifted his hands, forcing the Fold to re-engulf the back end of the skiff, where all of us were. "You stay in the dark!" I looked around but could barely see Inej a few feet away from me. We heard a cry and a crash from behind us, and my head snapped towards the sound. We both ran back and saw Zoya unconscious on the ground.

"Zoya," Inej said softly, shaking the girl lightly to try to wake her up. "Zoya." I heard a growl behind me and spun around before getting thrown backwards. I groaned as my back hit the raining and I dropped to the floor. I looked up shakily as Inej threw her knives at the few volcra that were visible.

As she ran out, another creature landed on the rail behind her, but before I could call out to her, Kaz ran up the stairs and slammed his cane into its head. The beak embedded itself in the volcra's skull, and he pulled it back before swinging the cane as hard as he could. The creature fell off the back of the skiff, but I could see another flying towards them from the side.

I quickly jumped up and made the same movements that I had seen my father make many times before, forming the cut and throwing it towards the deformed thing. It was instantly split in half, and Inej and Kaz looked towards me with wide eyes. I shook my head and ran towards them.

"Are you okay?" I asked them. Inej frowned and shook her head.

"'Are we okay?'" she asked. "You got thrown twenty feet! Are you okay?" I sighed and nodded.

"I'm fine," I assured her. "I've had worse." She ran back to check on Zoya, and Kaz quickly wrapped me in a hug before stepping back.

"Are you sure?" he asked quietly. I nodded and looked towards the main deck. He nodded. "Go. I'll take care of them." I nodded and ran down the stairs to see Ivan slowing Alina's heart.

"How dare you," he said. "He gave you everything. Remember your place." I ran towards him and aimed a kick to his stomach, making him double over, before pushing him over the railing, slight regret coursing through me.

"Sorry, Ivan," I muttered. Kaz, Inej, and Zoya ran down to the main deck, and I looked up as I realized that the shield of light Alina had been using to keep us safe was gone. Kaz looked back at Zoya.

"I recommend we get moving," he said. She nodded and ran up to the sail. I ran over to Alina, still unconscious on the floor, and shook her gently.

"Alina," I said urgently. "Alina!" She remained unresponsive, and I looked up at Kaz fearfully. I heard another set of running footsteps, and Mal kneeled beside me, looking down at Alina.

"What happened?" he asked quickly.

"It's Kirigan's Heartrender," Inej told him. He placed a hand on Alina's shoulder, shaking her gently as I had.

"Come on, Alina." He shook his head. "Alina, come back for me, please. Alina?" He let out a quiet sob. "Please wake up. Please come back. Please." Volcra growled around the skiff, and I glanced up at them quickly. "Come on, please." Alina gasped quietly as her eyes cracked open.

"Mal..," she murmured. Mal smiled through his cries, and I smiled softly as well.

"I'm here," he assured her. "Don't you dare say, 'Meet me in the meadow.'" She looked up at the pitch blackness, and I grasped her hand, making her smile as she raised the other to send away the snarling creatures.

fell a bit behind and last chapter was a bit short so have another  :)

side note..... we are nearing the end

next chapter is the last  :(