35

Once we made it out of the Fold and through the ruins of Novokribirsk, we quickly found a shady spot and lit a fire to try to allow ourselves time to breathe again. I sat next to Kaz with my leg brushing against his as I stared at the flickering flames. The others were wandering and getting their bearings, and the two of us sat in silence until he broke it.

"She chose him over us," he said so quietly that I almost couldn't hear him. I looked up at him, but his gaze stayed set on the fire. "She had a ring..." My eyes widened a bit. "I had hoped... I wanted to believe that she didn't know. That she was as unaware of his plans as Alina and Zoya. But she knew. She knew the whole time, and she still chose him." I stared at him sadly and gently placed my hand on top of his.

Before I could respond, the others began to make their way back and sit around the fire. Inej sat next to Alina, while Zoya sat alone and the boys stood.

"I've never met a Saint before," Inej said softly. Alina chuckled.

"I've never been a Saint before," she joked. Inej turned to face her and nodded.

"Wherever you are, whatever you need... my hand is yours." I smiled sadly, knowing that Inej would leave Kerch in a heartbeat if the Sun Summoner need it. Alina looked up at her.

"I like that hand with a dagger in it," she said. She reached into her pocket and pulled out a bejeweled knife. "I couldn't hold onto yours, so take mine as a replacement. It's not much, but it'll fend off a bully or two." Inej took it with a smile and ran her fingers over the handle.

"I know just what to name it." Jesper stepped forward and held out a bundle of cloth, making Alina stand up and Mal step towards them.

"Step one for any good plan," he said. "A change of clothes." He shrugged. "It's worked for me. Here." Mal took the bundle and nodded.

"Thank you." Alina walked over to us, and we both stood up.

"So," she said, "will you still be trying to kidnap me?" Kaz glanced down at me, but Jesper shook his head before he could respond.

"'Course not." Kaz furrowed his brows and looked up at him.

"Have you found religion, too?" He shook his head again.

"No, it's just..." He sighed. "I'm exhausted. Besides... it'd be bad form to kidnap someone after they saved your life." I rolled my eyes and fought back a smile as Kaz looked back at Alina.

"You are quite valuable, you know?" She nodded and reached into her pocket, pulling out the headpiece she had been wearing.

"So is this." Kaz took it carefully and furrowed his brows.

"I saw this on a portrait of one of the queens in the Little Palace," he murmured.

"It's not a gift," she said quickly. "It's to keep quiet about who I am. Where I go from here." He looked up at her and nodded as he placed the headpiece into his pocket.

"The deal is the deal." He shook her hand, and she and Mal left to change. Once they came back, Alina stood by the fire for a moment before casting her old dress into it.

"I didn't expect it to burn at all," Mal said quietly. "But it can be destroyed in the end." He looked back at the Fold. "Just like him." Alina quietly stepped away, and Mal followed, the two of them having a quiet conversation before Zoya stood up, looking towards the Fold.

"I have to go," she said. I frowned and stepped towards her.

"Wait!" I exclaimed. "You can't go back into the Fold." She looked back at me and shook her head.

"To Novokribirsk. I had family in that city. I need to know how much of it is lost." Kaz stepped up next to me.

"It's dangerous to go looking for the dead," he told her. "What you see may haunt you for the rest of your days." She sighed.