forty-one

Remus desperately tried to avoid his friends questions with the most evasive answer imaginable, and they were not buying it.
Well, Peter was, the James and Sirius weren't.

He had a frown permanently etched onto his face. He wished that they had just obliviated him instead, surely that would have made more sense than telling him such a disturbing secret?!

Y/n also had a frown as she watched the Marauders running after Remus, constantly hounding him for answers they would never get.
Her wizard Idols hated her and glared at her everytime they saw her, and Remus wouldn't even look in her direction!

Yom placed a hand on her shoulder as they sat in the Slytherin common room.

"Y/n, what's the matter?" He asked her, eyebrows furrowed. "You've been quiet for days now..."

The h/c haired girl sighed heavily as Tom began to stroke her hair gently.

"I feel bad for Remus." She admitted. "I know you said I shouldn't but I do, the poor boy's terrified."

Tom stared at her, the soft Amber glow from the slithering fire place illuminated her face with an ethereal glow.

"Coukd we obliviate him?" He asks, making y/n shake her head.

"We'd have to obliviate all of them, Lily too, and they'd be missing at least two weeks worth of memories."

Tom hummed in understanding, but couldn't think of any solution that could help the situation, but it pained him so seeing her upset like this.

"Excuse me." The two looked up to see a tall, pale boy standing in front of them.
"I'm Lucius Malfoy." He introduced himself, making the two stiffen as they stared up at him.

"It's not everyday we get transfers, especially into Slytherin." Lucius eyed then suspiciously.
"I was just wondering what family you belong to, as you know, only purebloods can enter Slytherin."

Y/n's face contorted in disgust. She couldn't stand blood prejudice, to her it was a tale of the past after the wuvarding war in the 90s.

"That's none of your business, Malfoy." She got to her feet, chin up as she glared at him.
"Blood Orejudice is so last season." She flicked her hair at him and walked off, Tom attemtping following after her.

Grabbing onto his wrist, Lucius narrowed his eyes at Tom who looked back in surprise.

"I'm sorry, I just can't help but think I know you from somewhere." He said, rasing as eyebrow at the dark haired boy.

Tom bit back a grimace at how tight Lucius squeezed the arm that had his dark mark.
"Well, I don't beleive we have."

Tom pried his hand away and quijcly left the common room in search of Y/n, leaving Lucius standing with a dull burning in his arm.

James and Sirius sat at the Gryffindor table in the great hall as they ate dinner.
Remus hadn't accompanied them today, with it being a full moon, but they still couldn't get their minds around what Y/n and Tom could possibly have done to have Remus so terrified.

"Should we ask them directly?" James asked, tearing into a bread roll rather aggressively with his teeth.

"That's probably our best bet." Sirius nodded. "But what would we even ask?"

"Hey." They both looked up as Lily slid into the seat beside James, tucking her robes under her neatly as she sat down.
"What you whsierping about?"

Sitius and James glanced at each other, watching as Lily served herself her dinner.

"We were talking about L/n and Riddle." James said, making Lily scoff and roll her eyes.

"What're you scoffing at?" Sirius asked, offended as he pushed his hair away.
"This is serious, there's something up with those two."

Again, Lily rolled her eyes while pouring herself a goblet of pumpkin juice.

"You're overthinking it, they're harmless." Lily sighed, digging into her food.

Sirius and James glanced at each other, unsure.

"How do you know?" Sirius pressed her further. "For all we know, they could be Death Eaters." He hissed under his breath.

Lily rested her fists down on the edge of the table, gripping her knife and fork tightly.

"Alright, say they D-E's, what would you do?" She asked them. "How would you prove it, asking to see their arms?"

James paused before suddenly grinning and getting up from his seat.
"That's a great idea Lily!"

Everyone in the room watched him as he marched around to the Slytherin table where Y/n was sitting and reading a book, Tom nowhere in sight.

"Oi, L/n!" James called as he got closer, making her look up. "Lemme see your wrist!"

Y/n looked appalled at the question as he suddenly loomed over her.

"What?" She asked, laughing. "What for?"

James gave her a look, glaring at her.
"I want to know if you're a death eater."

Everyone in the room gasped, but y/n laughed as Lily ran up behind James, pulling at his arm.

"What are you doing!?" The red head hissed. "Are you insane?!"

James shrugged her off, telling her to sit down.

"There's obviously a reason Remus is so spooked by you," James continued as y/n stared blankly at him.
"So show us all your arms to prove you aren't a death eater!"

The Slytherins began to get riled up, shouting at James to back off and a lot of Gryffindor backed him up, telling her to prove it while the other houses whsioered to themselves.

"If you aren't one, then surely it shouldn't matter." James smirked, seeing the look on her face.

"I'm so glad Tom isn't here right now..."

Y/n glared at him getting to her feet and squaring up at him.
"And what if I am, what will you do, Prongs?"

James seemed taken aback by the use of their secret nickname, as she stepped forward making him step back.

"That's a very stupid thing you did, confronting me like that, what if I am a death eater?" She smirked as he began to pale, him and Lily quickly backing up.

"I could have easily killed you." She whispered to him, making him shudder before she stepped back and grinned at him.

She held her arms up in the air, the sleeves of her robes falling down to show that there was no markings in her wrist.

"See! Not a death eater!" She assured everyone before looking to James again.

"And the whole Remus thing is just a misunderstanding." She said, lowering her arms and sitting back down.
"He has no reason to be scared of us."