Fifteen

"9am sharp he said." Y/n mocks Tom in a high pitched voice as she walked around the room in her underwear in an attempt to get ready.
Thankfully she has no roommates.
Hauling through her trunk, which she still hadn't unpacked, she throws all the clothes she doesn't want over her shoulder and onto the floor behind her.

Eventually, she pulls out a giant oversized white hoodie and a pair of high-waisted black skinny jeans with a lot of distressed rips in them.

I can't believe I've no clothes for this time period. Like, I just came to the 40s and didn't think about fashion!

Muttering rudely under her breath, she proceeds to get dressed before sitting down on the floor in front of the window where she had set up her makeup station.
She very rarely wears any, only when she feels like looking a bit more dolled up but she would always say she doesn't need it.

Something light....

By the time y/n made it down to the courtyard she had smudged her mascara four times and was ready to give up and go home. But, she preserved and fixed the black smudges.
People were staring at her in confusion and slight disgust as they whispered to each other.

"What are you wearing?" Tom's snide voice asked from beside her as he looked down.
"Clothes." She responded, turning her head slightly to the side, unintentionally showing off her 'dolled up' self, her highlighted cheekbones shining in the autumn sun.

"Well, well, well, look who's all dolled up for our date." Tom smirks, looking down, his voice ringing in her ears.

"Shut up." Y/n pouts, proceeding to pull out the crumpled price of paper that is her Hogsmeade permission slip along with her wand. Unfolding the paper she turns to the nearest wall and pins the slip against it with her hand.
"Accio pen." She mutters quietly, putting her wand back into her hoodie pocket and holds out her hand.

A few moments later the hard plastic of her modern day ball point pen met her grasp. She uncapped it with her teeth and proceeded to forge her mother's signature with perfect accuracy, the inked cursive adorning the printed signature line perfectly.

She puts the cap back into the pen before slipping it into her hoodie pocket too.

Tom furrows his brow while watching her walk over to where Dumbledore was collecting the permission slip. She stopped to speak to the greying man, leaving Tom alone for a few minutes.

She did that so perfectly. He thought to himself. It's like it were her own signature, but surely she can't sign her own permission slip?!

"Oi, Tommy!" Y/n calls teasingly, waving him over. "Hurry up, we'll miss the carriages." Tom scowls at the nickname and begins stringing toward her, his shoulders tense.

This better be worth it.

The two of them managed to snag a carriage to themselves (though it was one without a roof) and sat silently as they made their way to Hogsmeade, the autumn wind nipping at their skin.

"Do you see them?" Tom asked suddenly, looking at the front of the carriage. "The skeleton horse things."

Y/n raised an eyebrow at him, chuckling lightly.
"The thestrals?" She questioningly corrects him. "Yeah, I see them."

"Thestrals." He repeats. "How come most people don't see them?" He demands, his expression hardening.

"You can only see them if you've seen death, so lots of people won't see them, it's not very common I suppose." She shrugs, continuing to look at the scenery around them as they pass through the sparse forest.

"How come you can see them then?" He says, surveying her expression. Noticing that she tended slightly before fidgeting uncomfortably.

"None of your business." She whispers, sinking into her seat.

"Have you forgotten our agreement already?" He smirks. "Now answer my question." Y/n glares heatedly at him, frowning.

"Well, if you must know, I was in the hospital room when my Nan passed." Her voice was bitter as she looked him in the eyes, her own narrowed in annoyance.

Tom coughs and shifts in his seat, much like she had done.
"I'm sorry for your loss?" His response made her roll her eyes and scoff a 'whatever'.

By the time that awkward interaction had come to a close, the carriage had stopped outside of Hogsmeade and they were ready to get off.

Tom peered our of the corner of his eye as he walked alongside y/n, the two of them strolling along the path.

He wasn't sure what he would do now, he had finally gotten her to agree to answer questions, but now that he had the freedom to question her, he had no clue what to ask.

"Let's get butter beer!" Y/n linked her arm with Tom's and began to pull him toward the Three Broomsticks.