forty-two

Tom lay in between Y/n's legs, resting his head on her lower stomach as she stroked his curly brown hair, staring out at the Black Lake as they sat on the grass.

"I can't beleive he had the audacity to do that." Tom scoffed in response to what y/n had told him about James' stunt the day prior.

"Eh, the only person he embarrassed was himself." She rolled her eyes as she looked around.

Quick footsteps behind her made her twist around to look, seeing Remus caught like a deer in the headlights when she met his gaze.

"Remus!" She called, waving him over. "Come'ere!"

Nervously, the boy made his way across the grass to her.
He was disheveled, dirty and wearing torn clothes.

Y/n took out her wand and waved it at him as he got closer, instantly fixing his clothes and cleaning him up.

"Much better." She joked as he looked astounded at her wordless magic.

"T..thank you." He sputtered, avoiding eye contact.

Y/n scoffed loudly and Tom began to sit up and fix his hair before turning to look at Remus.

"Listen, I'm really sorry about all this." She said to him, frowning.
"I didn't realise it would spook you so much or I would have had Dumbdore obliviate you."

"It's fine, really!" Remus panicked desperately. "Your secrets safe with me!"

Y/n and Tom glanced at each other in exasperation.

"You don't need to be scared Remus." Y/n continued. "We aren't going to hurt you, trust me!"

Remus still looked fidgety as he edged slightly further away from her.

"You guys are basically my Idols and I feel really bad about all of this, so can we just act like nothing happened??" She pleads to him, almost on the verge of tears as Tom began to pat her back.

"Idols..?" Remus asked. "What do you mean?"

Y/n sniffled pathetically as she began to explain.
"In my time, the Murauders are a legend at Hogwarts, and I always wanted to meet you, but now that I have I've quite literally scared you off and you all hate me!"

Remus watched as she began to cry into Tom's chest and he silently comforted her.

"I don't hate you..." Remus said. "It's just...the whole 'would have been you know who' thing."

Y/n nodded sadly at him.
"I get it, you don't need to explain, it scared me too at the time. Still kinda does because I didn't realise Voldemort was still alive and kicking, I thought we went into some weird time branch where he didn't exist."

Tom pushed her away, shocked as he looked at her.
"What?" He asked. "Voldemort is still active?"

She nodded. "Yeah, you didn't pick up on that yet?"

Tom shook his head. "Obviously not!"

Both of them turned to Remus who was still stood there awkwardly.

"We need the run down on Voldemort my dude."

"So Lestrange took over as Voldemort?" Tom sneered. "That bastard, he even let people know who he really was, chump."

Y/n scoffed, rolling her eyes.
"Seriously, did that motherfucker not learn anything from all the times i beat him up?"

Remus gaped at her as usual, sitting on the grass opposite the both of them.

"You beat him up!?" He asked in disbelief, making y/n snicker, smiling.

"Multiple times," she said nostagically.
"Dude was terrified of me. Ah, the good ol' days."

She reached into her pocket and pulled out a folded and crumpled photograph and opened it to show him.

"Looksie," she handed over the moving photograph to show Remus.

Standing over Lestrange with her wand pointed to his throat, the boy quivering beneath her as she spoke, though the photo didn't replay them.
People in the background watch horrified before the photograph
Y/n cast a spell into the corner of the room.
After that the photo began to repeat.

"I think I was right to be scared of you..." he laughed awkwardly, handing the photo back as she showed Tom.

"Where did you get that?" Tom asked her in disbelief.

"The Coming and Going room gives you what you need, when you need it," she shrugged.
"And I just so happend to need my badassery captured forever."

Tom shook his head at her, smiling slightly.
"I can't beleive you sometimes."

Y/n grinned. "What can I say, I'm amazing."

Remus opened his mouth to speak before he was cut off by someone calling out to him.

"OI, REMUS!" The three looked up to see the other Marauders jogging down the hill to them.

"What are you doing with these two?" Sirius asked, eyeing Y/n and Tom suspiciously.

"Yeah, how come your so chummy all of a sudden?" James sneered at Y/n, whike she just smiled at him, but Tom gave his the side eye.

"Oh, it was just a misunderstanding." Remus said, waving them off. "We're all good now."

Jaw dropped, the two boys looked between the three sat on the grass just as Peter managed to catch up with them, out of breath.

"Told you." Y/n giggled at their shocked faces.
"Just one big misunderstanding."