[13] 𝐎𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐘𝐨𝐮

                              [13]

a few days before the encounter between xiao and y/n (last chapter).
••••

xiao looked at the wangshu inn from the flat yellow plains as autumn leaves cut through the air while he stood upon a smooth gray boulder. the cold breeze met his arms as he began to remember the moment below the large tree a week ago.

looking down to his feet, he knew that he had so many to say and express. yet he could never imagine himself doing that. after all, he was the distant and diligent yaksha, and it was meant to be that way.

for a mortal to be with a immortal would never work out romantically or platonically, would it?

he did consider love once, but cut the very feeling off as he found it a hinderance.

xiao looked at his jade pole arm that he kept by his side all the time. gripping the cold hard pole as he contemplated quietly.

perhaps there would be a time where he could finally put it down.

yet his pride and honor wouldn't let that happen as it continuously reminded him.

he could only think of rex lapis at this time. if he were still alive, would he ever blame him?

rather, xiao could only be the only one blaming himself at this point if he ever gave up his duties to protect Liyue. To give up now of all times..would make him look foolish.

xiao fumbled his jade spear aggressively and walked the dirt path to the inn as he wished that he could keep his mind at least off these feeble thoughts for a mere second.

but ever since she came by, he can't stop thinking of a different future.

——
"i wonder if y/n is doing alright. you don't think she might know anyone recently deceased, do you?" hutao spoke out quietly with glum in her voice. she looked down on the table, smelling the strong tea next to her which made her feel slightly more sullen.

"you know, why are people being so rude nowadays! couldn't they just politely refuse instead of yelling.." hutao spat out as she threw her head down onto the table. the impact almost spilled zhongli's tea over, but fortunately not a drop was soiled.

passerbys who walked by all gave long stares at the young brown haired girl who was clearly not having a good day.

zhongli looked around and sighed as he scratched the side of his forehead.

"Hutao, please watch yourself before you draw any unwanted attention." Zhongli warned as he wanted to walk away right then and there. But instead, he simply took a sip of his piping hot tea and looked at the distance, pretending as if he wasn't associated with the girl next him.

Hutao looked at Zhongli and rolled her eyes in dissatisfaction.

But soon after, the sun began to set deeper, making the sky a more vibrant orange. she grew a pleasant smile on her face.