Eleven

Once I had calmed myself down enough and was able to pack my things to head over to Jason. I thought about texting him about I didn't feel well. But I think being around him might make me feel better and get my mind off this. Dottie had her head on my arm the entire way to his house. She knew I needed her and she was being so sweet.

As I pulled up to his house. I took a deep breath trying to calm myself down. Opening up the car door and Dottie jumped out after me. She quick and went to the bathroom as I got my things from the back seat. She was back at my side as I walked up the stairs. I rang the doorbell and waited for him. The cold air felt good on my hot and swollen face. I shouldn't have cried so hard. The door opened up and Jason stepped out.

"Hey-" He started before seeing my face. "Jennie are you ok? What's going on?" A new round of tears started and he pulled me into his chest. "Jennie, you're scaring the hell out of me. What's going on?" He pulled me into the house and took my bag from me. "Come on Dottie." I slipped my shoes off as he took my coat from me. "Come and sit down." He sat my bag down by the couch and led me to the couch in the living room. I sat down and he sat on the side of me that wasn't already occupied by Dottie. "Tell me what's going on."

"The legal stuff I told you about my brother got so much worse today." I said in-between cries. "He's having to take a plea and could go to jail." I covered my face with my hands and he pulled me back into his chest.

"Oh Jennie. I'm so sorry. Maybe I can help and fight it for him. Tell me what's going on." He said and I shook my head.

"He could go to prison if he loses. I don't want to get you mixed up into all of this right now. I probably should have told you I couldn't come over tonight. You shouldn't have to deal with me like this." I wiped my tears away and tried calming myself down. To no avail. Jason grabbed tissues and handed them to me.

"Absolutely not. I don't want you home alone dealing with this. Jennie, I want you to feel like you can come to me with this stuff." He brushed the hair out of my face and kissed my forehead. "Is the baby at least ok?" He asked and I nodded.

"They actually brought him home tonight." I said through my tears. "I'm sorry I've probably brought down your entire night."

"Jennie, you could never do that. Now stay here. I'm going to grab you a drink and take your things upstairs. Sit back and relax." He put a blanket over me before leaving and I took a deep breath. I smiled to myself. He took me coming in sobbing a lot better than I expected. Dottie laid her head over my lap and settled in. I rubbed her head and starred down at her. We really don't deserve dogs. "I have stuff to make burgers. So I'm going to get those started and you young lady." He said as he came into the living room. Pouring a bottle of wine into a wine glass. "Will relax in here and enjoy a glass of wine. Dottie, you stay with mom and take care of her." He said as he handed me the glass and scratched Dottie's ear.

"Thank you." I smiled up at him. He leaned down and gave me a gentle kiss.

"I'm here for you." He winked down at me and then left for the kitchen. When he left I cuddled into the couch and pulled my phone out. I opened up my kindle app and started to read for a while. Sitting in here in the quiet and only hearing Jason's quiet music as he cooked. Felt comfortable and calming. I was able to delve into my book and get away from everything going on. "Jennie babe. Dinners ready." Jason called out.

I got up from the couch and Dottie followed after me. Taking a big long stretch. We both headed towards the kitchen and I brought my glass with me. As I got into the kitchen I was going to take Dottie out really quick until I saw what was at the bottom of the door.

"When did you do this?" I asked while turning to Jason. He was bringing things over to the table and looked at what I was pointing at.

"Wednesday, they installed it while I was at work." He said with a smile.