Fifteen

6 months later

I had quit at the school a few months ago. Needing to be back into something that kept me busy. I went back to working at the emergency room. It was what I needed. My dad would take Dottie while I was on shift and I was able to get my mind off things. Well my mind off Jason.

After that day I yelled at him. I had gone down in a downward spiral. I was drinking more and not leaving the house much. It wasn't until my dad and brother Derek came to talk to me. More like knocked some sense into me.

My brother Derek's case was over now. The judge had decided to keep Jason off the case. He then had the felony knocked down to a misdemeanor and put my brother on probation. No jail time. It was a relief.

"We have a two year old coming in with blunt force trauma to the head." The lead nurse called out. I rushed with my friend Suzie to meet the paramedics to the back doors. The guys opened up the back door of their ambulance and wheeled the patient out. My eyes went wide when I saw the little body on the stretcher. I knew that little girl.

"What's her stats?" I asked meeting them and taking the notes from the other guy.

"BP is 90/ 60 and pulse is barely over 58." I hurried in after them looking over the log. Child was unconscious when they showed up on scene. Mom had said she fell down the stairs.

"Alright we need to get her switched over into a bed and get the doctor to order a scan." We rushed down the hall into the trauma bay. We gently lifted the still little girl onto the bed and they moved the stretcher out of the way.

"She didn't just fall down the stairs." One of the guys said and both Suzie and I met his stare. "This was on purpose. Check her arms and her abdomen." I lifted her shirt and was horrified. There were grip marks on her arms. Massive bruising to her ribcage.

"Get doctor Remington now." I told Suzie and she ran out the door. "We got her now guys. I'll let you know how things go." They all sadly nodded before leaving me alone in the room. I cleaned up the blood off her face and bandaged it before the doctor came in. We got her hooked up to the monitors as they ordered a CT scan. I pulled doctor Remington off to the side and told him how I knew the child. Even asking him if it was alright to stay on the case or not.

"You got her in the right hands now Jennie. Lets take you off for right now. Just precautionary." I nodded and when I was heading back to the desk. They called out another call. I ran back down to the doors. Not knowing what I was running into. They were unloading a woman from the ambulance. She was crying profusely.

"What do we got?" I asked looking her over. The woman was covered in blood. She had a noticeably broken leg and possibly arm. Her head was pouring blood out form the bandage of it.

"She was T-boned at a red light. Broken leg for sure and possible clavicle or arm break. A laceration to the forehead." They said while they wheel her through the doors.

"Ok, lets get her to trauma two." Wheeling her down the hallway and into the trauma bay. "What' your name sweetheart?" I asked.

"Jamie Walters." She said and I looked down at her. Her green eyes stunningly gazing back.

"Ok Jamie, we're going to move you over to that bed over there. It's going to hurt like hell. Feel free to yell or scream if you need to ok." I explained and she nodded. "One, two, three!" I called and when we lifted her she screamed bloody murder.

"No more please!" I brushed my hand over her tears.

"I'm sorry hun. We'll get you feeling better soon ok. I'm going to hook you up to a few monitors and an iv alright. You've lost a lot of blood. Can you give me a pain level?" I asked and she thought about it.