Chapter 9 - Bar

His fingers clasped the casual suit jacket shut, running his hands over his hair. Tucking into the left breast pocket was a small red cloth which turned out to be Cloaky. Maroon against a smokey grey, his dress shirt's top two buttons remained undone, giving it a less formal feel and something fit for an excruciating night at a bar.

Wong had opted for his usual robes which almost made Stephen feel underdressed.

Almost.

"Wong, we're going for drinks," he cuffs his sleeves, looking to his friend with a raised brow.

"Yes," Wong says with a confused tone, causing Stephen to do nothing but roll his eyes.

"Slingy?" He holds up his sling ring.

Wong did the same, "slingy,"

~~~

"L/n, come on," Nat calls to your studio, the door slightly ajar and lights on. "Don't tell me-" her suspicions were confirmed at the sight of you covered in paint while smearing some along a canvas. "Y/n, we're leaving,"

"Okay," you say without care, prepping the base by slowly forming the subject using burnt sienna.

"For drinks? With the team? For Tony's announcement?" She reminds but your simply hum dismissively. "Y/n, alcohol,"

"I heard you, have fun," you wave your hand, shooing her away.

"Dammit, Y/n, did you want to get Stephen to be part of the project or not?" She says bluntly, his name catching your attention instantly.

"Fine, fine," you holds your hands in the air, letting the paint almost peel away and collect on the ground, "but you owe me a drink,"

"Gladly... gonna catch up?"

"Likely," you shrug, "I'll be there, promise," hands up to assure her, there was no breaking that promise after the look she just gave you.

~~~

The moment they step through the portal, it would be impossible for Stephen to admit the first person be looked for was you. The moment he wasn't able to spot your (hair description) hair in the crowd, he trails towards the bar with Wong who was eager to get his favourite drink.

"Gin and Tonic, please," he orders while Stephen goes with a simple whiskey on ice.

"Glad you could make it," Tony pats Stephen's shoulder, getting more friendly with Wong, his obvious favourite. "Drinks on me, Wong,"

"Very much appreciated," the sorcerer sips happily at his drink.

"This is going to be a very long night," Stephen thinks to himself, seeing half the bar filled with normal patrons. Maybe there was some hope in a not so boring night. His sights were easily set on a woman wearing a short black dress, finger tracing the rim of her glass with eyes forward and h/c hair adjusted.

Their eyes meet, his smile forming and legs drawing him towards her. Conversation short, he bought her a drink and introduced himself, her doing the same.

It was obvious escaping would be fairly easy- except all eyes eventually fell into a missing patron. "Sorry I'm late, losers," you descend the stairs leading to the lower level of this hidden bar.

"Thought we'd have a peaceful night," Clint huffs jokingly.

"Alright, calm it, Barton," you snap your fingers at him, leaning to the bartender and giving your order.

"Now that everyone's here, now we can get started," Tony had already grabbed the attention of the group, pulling them towards a secluded VIP spot.

Your hands curl around the chilled glass, turning just to be met with Stephen and another woman flirting. "Hey, Doc, Stark needs us," you tap his shoulder.

He drops his head, taking another drink before walking away with a scowl. Though this grew at the sight of you giving a bit of small talk to the woman, kissing her hand and winking. "Really? You're playing like that?"

"What can I say?" you eye him smugly, waving flirtatiously to the woman who mouths 'call me'. "People love me,"

"Evidently," he then focuses on Stark.

"So the main point is to let the team know that Midtown has asked for a tower tour!" While he expected cheers, the group gave a more reasonable look of shock, irritation and nervousness.

"If this is tomorrow-" you speak up but we're instantly cut off.

"It's the day after tomorrow!" He corrects, "so get drunk while you can, because I'm hiding all the alcohol for the next two days,"

"Watch it end up in his room," Nat nudges you.

Details fuzzed as you focused on the paintings in the room. Something, something Friday... something, something security... boring stuff. Then something caught you off guard, "but I invited some of you other guys here because we need other shit going on instead of looking unproductive and lazy like we usually do," Tony points to Wong, Stephen, Maria and Rhodey.

"Yeah, not happening," Rhodes says bluntly, "I got important things to do... all of which don't include babysitting,"

"Same here," Maria raises her glass.

"The Kamar-Taj and Sanctum must be left under supervision," Wong refills his gin and tonic. "But is easily a one person job, so Stephen shall be available," he adds on.

"Exactly- wait what?" Stephen does a double take, nearly choking on his drink.

"Perfect! Be here early in the morning," Tony orders another round of drinks.

"It doesn't make sense, I'm not even an offical Avenger," Stephen's insistence persisted.

"Now you are," Tony walks over, patting both shoulders with his hand, "welcome to the super secret boy band,"

"You're already on lunch boxes anyways," Pietro shows photos which the sorcerer scowls at.

"Profits better be going to the Sanctum or Kamar-Taj," he downs his drink, turning for a refill when Tony offers a good deal.

"You all get a monthly income, and a 'without question' allowance," he says confidently, the billionaires smugness exuding. "Plus a room in case some shit happens,"

How could Stephen decline that? He reluctantly turns back, "what do you need me to do?"

"Get drunk as fuck tonight then show up the day after tomorrow ready to act as if you have shit to do," he smiles when the aforementioned shots were brought out to the team. "Bottoms up!"

~~~

Absolutely slayed my eras tour movie outfit last night (I didn't get tickets to the real thing so this is good enough!)

Plus got merch my bf bought me ooo YUHH

- Anna ❤️