Chapter 19 - Necklace

Just as the third hour struck, Strange felt your arm smack his. Not just once but multiple times in inconsistent beats with a range of power, light taps to harsh smacks.

"Hey- Hey! Stop it, will you?" he snaps after the recent smack, spinning in the sheets to see you writhing with a fearful look. Your eyes were screwed shut, but the terror was evident with the bead of sweat along your temple and shallow breathing. "Y/n? Hey, wake up,"

As quickly as he snapped, he was shuffling closer, pulling you into his arms, a spell seeping from his fingertips and into the crown of your head. The short analyses concluded what any idiot could: this was a nightmare.

~~~

"Back again?" Nightmare looked down at you with a grin.

"What the hell am I doing here??" You felt ribbon slowly curl around your wrists and ankles, "let me go!" the panic had no benefit to your struggles, indents bruising each point, subtle stings causing winces of pain.

"You brought yourself here, human," he lifts back off his chair, a wand-like object in his grasp, "so kind of you to do so... perhaps I'll find something truly worthwhile in that mind," with a short wave of the weapon, its ivory end spewing mildew like liquid, forming a maze around you. "Run, little ant, run," a burst of green flames soon rose up from cracks in the shattered world, chasing after you. Breaking free of the bindings, it faded into the air like smoke from a campfire, but that wasn't anything to focus on now.

Left and right, you twisted down narrow hedges, choices for possible escape endless. Soon, something felt wrong. Just like any other nightmare, you seemed to fail at running. Your legs moved, yet you hadn't advanced a single inch along the endless maze.

"Shit- what the hell is going on??" The ground started to envelop your ankles, pulling you down. "Help!" Shout after shout, in this desolate plane; it seemed no one would help you. Would you die this way? Could you die this way? A dimension of dreams, yet you thought your subconscious would diminish while your real body became inherently empty.

~~~

Stephen had conducted a harsher spell to wake you, basically the magical equivalent of a sudden cup of cold water to the face. He never let his secure hold on you falter, placing a blanket over your shivering body. You gasping awake soon became a relief instead of a fright, Stephen hushing you a little and wiping a cold cloth on your skin.

"You're okay, hey, it's all good," was the first few words he said, "you're still in the sanctum, don't worry, it was just a nightmare,"

You push away the blanket, which feels sticky against your skin, processing the objects around you, "but it was him- Stephen, you have to believe me, he was- it felt-"

"Real?" He gestured for the cloak to bring the tea back over, "I know... do you have nightmares often?"

"No? I don't think so, no," you shakily take the cup, trying not to let out any tears. "Why? Is it going to happen again?" This was starting to test your ability to keep it together. "Please don't let it happen again- I don't want it to happen again!"

"Woah, woah, alright, take a breath for me," he lifts your chin, "now look at me," he took your hands, "I'll see what I can do, but Nightmare will likely try and target you again," he felt guilt surge into his heart as you rapidly shook your head in fear, "Y/n, hey, I promise I'll do my best to make sure that doesn't happen,"

You return the mug to the cloak, who immediately hugs you from behind. "How can you be sure? What if-"

"I'm not sure. I won't lie to you. But all I can promise and be sure of is that I will do my best to prevent it," an idea then struck in his mind. "Here, come with me," his hands gently tug you out of the bed and towards a cabinet.

"What are you doing," it was cold for starters, the morning threatening within the next hour, yet you still hadn't gotten enough sleep.

"There is this old spell for an amulet that helps repel nightmares, so hopefully, it should prevent that douchebag from messing with you," he took out a ceramic bowl, three vials of herbs, a few more odd items then a beautiful amulet from a case of jewels. "Don't worry, these are just old knickknacks that Wong found at a garage sale,"

You sat on the table while he did the spell, chuckling when Cloaky tickled the space under your chin to cheer you up. "I'm smiling, I'm smiling, I promise,"

Stephen couldn't help but smile, stirring the liquid concoction before dropping the necklace in. He waited a few seconds, mumbling a few words before fishing it out with a metal rod, making sure it was still intact. "One second," he waited for the metal to absorb the liquid before letting it rest in his palm, "come here,"

Hopping off the table and turning around, you faced the mirror on his cabinet, seeing how he placed the necklace around your neck. In the dark, he neared closer to make sure the chain clapped despite his slight shake. After a moment of silence, your lips pursing from the intimacy of his vicinity, you could meet his eyes in the reflection.

"Secure?" His voice was quiet, no more than a whisper.

"Mhm," you place a hand over the charm. It was a simple design, just a flat piece of metal with some sort of flower indented in the middle. Was it a peony or a rose? You weren't exactly certain. The magic was there, though; you could feel it. The sentiment, too, is full of sincerity and concern. "Thank you,"

"You're welcome... now come on," his hand placed on your waist. "You need a good night's sleep," it was true. After the night you had, you'd be a mess and unable to function without sleep.

~~~

Ngl I don't know how much y'all actually enjoy this but ayooooo progress from enemies to loverssss 👀

- Anna ❤️