Chapter 24 - Walkies

"Walkies!" Is the first thing you and Stephen hear early in the morning. "Come on, Doc, Y/n, time for walkies!"

After a little over a week with Bats, one thing that stayed constant was his want for morning walks. He had his own little bed in the lounge room, all sorts of toys around the sanctum and even bowls with his names on it.

"Come on," he jumps up in the air, biting onto the sheets and pulling at it, making you gasp.

"Bats- no!" Stephen gathers them back around you both.

"Why are you two naked? That's so weird," he grimaced, floating back to the ground, sitting politely on Stephen's side. "Please?"

"I do have a meeting," you muffle against his chest.

"Meh," he reaches out and pats Bats' head, "walkies then meeting?"

"Fine, fine,"

~~~

To anyone who didn't know better, you and Stephen were a lovely couple walking their dog. Knowing better, you were just two adults needing comfort and attention without commitment. Whether you were both scared of it, or just no interested in one another that way didn't matter. By the end of the day, saving the world is easier without that type of weakness.

"The closer to the deadline I get, the less I feel my work is... right," you sip at the steaming drink.

"I think you've spent too long looking at it, you're picking it apart and overthinking," Stephen takes your hand and kisses your knuckles assuringly. "Don't you think, Bats?"

"Stephen is quite right, you seem to think over the littlest things," the ghost then perks his head up, "excuse me," he runs after a gathering of pigeons, barking madly.

Of course tricking yourself into thinking it was nothing more than raw lust was a big part in the consistent mixed signals.

"Just take a day or so from it, hm?" Stephen then whistles for Bats to come back. "We can watch something, spend the day in,"

Casual became often. Secret became a little more obvious. Purely sex became morning walks and coffee.

Your eyes brighten at his thoughtfulness, "I'd like that,"

All that was left was the truth to be let loose.

~~~

"Oh my god is that Spider-Man? Wow, wow," the bloodhound runs over to Peter who was still in his suit. "I've never met a real superhero before," Bats sits politely while Peter kneels.

"Can I pick him up??" Peter's hands reach out, Bats instantly closing the gap and flopping back down in his lap.

"You met the Avengers just a week ago and live with me," Stephen folds his arms.

"Right, right. But man, Spider-man, huh?" he rolls over on the ground before sitting up.

"The charming dead dog makes a lot of sense, Mr Strange," Peter ruffles Bats' head before hearing Karen tell him about a robbery down the street. "Shoot, gotta go. Bye, Ghost dog!" he runs out to the balcony, lifting his mask to stuff the donut into his mouth.

"Bye, Spider-man!!" Bats sits on his back paws, waving his front ones at Peter.

"To think we were friends," Pietro kneels to Bats who whimpers apologetically, "kidding, come on," he, Wanda, Nat and Bucky all sit around the couch to play with him.