Chapter 20 - Request

You couldn't reply with much other than a large yawn, staggering over and flopping onto the bed, ignoring Stephen's laugh. "Strange?"

"Hm?" He checks his alarm clock before getting into the bed.

"I'm going to ask something, and it's okay to say no, but if you laugh or tell anyone about it, I'm going to make you regret ever opening that mouth," you twiddle your thumbs before taking a breath, "can we cuddle?"

There was that laugh you shut up immediately with a pillow to the face, "Sorry, sorry, I couldn't help but test you!" He took a moment to push the pillow away before shrugging. The idea would have been rejected immediately before tonight, but with the good company that you provided and things he's told you, he felt less inclined to do so.

"So, is that a yes?" You suddenly feel the Cloak shove you towards Stephen, your hands ending up flat against his chest and face in the crook of his neck.

"Thanks, Cloaky," he wraps an arm around you, "you okay there? A little flustered?"

"Shut up." You grit out in embarrassment, burying your face away from his line of sight. With your ear so close to his chest, you wondered if that pounding heartbeat was your own. Your senses eventually recognised his aftershave, soothing your anxious mind like your hand against his chest soothed his.

It was a subtle thing, but feeling you hold him closer suddenly made the room feel less bare, finally feeling less alone than he had all this time. The short-lived agreement would be nothing more than a means of comfort for the night, a compromise. Regardless, it broke down a small barrier of the "friendship", which would make your little deal much more bearable than you thought.

~~~

Maybe the sleep-oriented thinking made it seem less awkward than it would be when morning came. The realisation that soon hit was less dramatic than expected. You quickly shuffle away, scratching the nape of your neck, "uhm, morning,"

"Morning," he replies, sitting up and tussling his hair. "About... this,"

"Strictly for what we agreed it to be, yes," you remind.

"Right," he gets up as you do, drinking a glass of water from his bedside. Eventually, you both sit in silence without a next move processing. Your mind was completely blank.

"I have to get to the tower for work," was all you could say.

"Right, yup," soon-followed coughs were the only things that filled the tense silence. Clothes rustled on, Stephen lucky enough to get a fresh set while you awkwardly shimmy on your suit. Both turned away; it wasn't long before you were turned back and passed each other.

"I'll... see you later then," opening the door, a portal awaited you on the other side, "aw, thanks for not making me walk home at this hour,"

Strange shrugs, "It's the least I can do," his voice hinted at playfulness, leaving you to walk through with a smile. "If anything happens, let me know, okay?" He then glances at the necklace, "And if you need another one of those, then let me know,"

A firm nod was given, and a small wave exchanged awkwardly as the portal shut. "Hopefully, that doesn't happen again," the living was silent this morning; anyone up would be occupying the training room or Central Park. "Perfect."

~~~

"Keep in mind we will avoid these sections since Moon Knight gave fair warning of a supernatural battle that he and Elsa Bloodstone will be dealing with," Cap points to a section of Brooklyn. "Other than that, we're good for the week unless there's a lead on those Hydra shipments,"

You listened intently through the entire meeting, which surprised everyone. Wanda had expected you to zone out but realised you were fully processing everything instead of drifting off in a daydream. The first thing she noticed that was new, other than the obvious devoted attention, was the necklace you now wore.

Your finger twirled around the chain, thumb rubbing against the pendant occasionally. It had a slight magical aura radiating, and one which was familiar but... not yours?

"Hey, Y/n, where did you get that?" Nat asks what was on everyone's mind.

"Hm? Oh, uhm..." You think back to the night before, Wanda gasping at the memory. "Wanda! Stop reading my mind!" After glaring her way, you took a breath and leaned back into your chair, "Strange just made it to ward off nightmares, considering I was now more prone to them after the whole dimension thing,"

Wanda knew the little details between, reluctantly holding them to herself and keeping quiet.

"Does that mean you don't hate each other anymore?" Pietro perks up.

"He's slightly more tolerable," you point out to dismiss the accusation. "Now, can we go? I'm getting bored of this stupid meeting,"

~~~

It had been quite some time, days passing by without word. Then Stephen received your text, the ping making his eyes dart to the phone.

Y/n L/n
Are you free?

He was about to reply immediately, but the cloak slapped his hand away. "Hey! What are you doing?" The phone was flung across the room and to another couch. "Stop that!" He was going to reach out again, but the cloak held him back. "What??"

The cloak shook its collar as if saying to wait once, pointing to the clock on the wall.

"Wait? What am I? 16?" He picked the phone up again, "would it be weird to reply immediately?" His lips purse, "How long should I wait?"

The cloak pointed to numbers scattered around the room.

"Ten minutes? Isn't that too long?" Stephen overthinks, putting his phone face down and looking to his companion, "Fine, ten minutes," so he waited, and waited, and waited a little more until a sense of unbearable impatience itched at his fingers.

Y/n L/n
Nothing urgent, just want to follow up on a few things :)

He opened the message with a gentle smile before immediately stopping himself.

~~~

Posting this before I skip my classes today to finish all the assignments that have been kicking my ass

- Anna ❤️