Chapter 17 - Nightmare

By the time you decided to speak, your phone had rung rapidly, the AC/DC tone signalling it was Tony. "Yeah? Shit- are you okay?? Yeah, we're- Hospital. What? Fuck- we'll be there soon," you repeat over and over. "We gotta go, Wong accidentally released something from the dream dimension?? And Thor is having some kind of deity meltdown??"

"Why didn't he call me first??" Stephen changes into his usual robes while you did the same.

"Seriously??" You groan while listening to Tony, "they didn't want to disturb us- it's- yeah just wait- we're on our way, my god,"

Stephen opens a portal, jumping through and holding his hand out for you to take. "Sorry we have to go, Christine," he makes sure you step through without falling.

"It's no worry," she assures with a smile, "it was lovely to see you again, Stephen, and great meeting you, Y/n," she waves as the portal closes behind you both.

"She's cute," you were only able to say this before a large stone was tossed at you both, "watch out!" tackling the sorcerer down, he gives a quick 'thanks' in return.

The street in front of the sanctum was ridden with curious creatures made of a dark fog. About the size of your palm, they threw themselves at each team member, trying to drag them down to an open portal that had a giant dragon waiting for its next meal.

Skulls lined the dimension beyond the portal, some sort of figure watching from afar. Unruly black hair, pale grey skin and a pair of green eyes speaking nothing but malice. His clothing curled at the ends like some sort of time burton character, dull sage green being the only colour he sported besides the black of his rotting fingertips. He lifted his finger, a few skeletons still adorned with chunks of flesh charging out.

"Okay, so not something I expected to do tonight," you take your grimoire out, finding the right spell, "cover me?"

"Sure thing," he stands up, summoning a large shield, walking forward to create enough space for you to execute whatever plan you had in mind. One step, then another, the same move you had used on him previously lifted you to higher ground, enough momentum for you to strike down on the group of figures taking Nat into the portal.

"Missed me, Romanoff?" you look at her with a hand held out.

"So much," she takes it, "how was your date? Sorry to cut it short,"

"It was not a date!" you sucker punch a skeleton guard.

"Wong, try not to trigger the end of the world while I'm gone," Stephen steps up to his partner, using a rope of magic to slingshot the army back into the portal, "and Nightmare of all people,"

"Yes, well I wasn't exactly intending on doing so," Wong grumbles, "the saddle of Dreamstalker had fallen from its casing and knocked into Prabhakar's goblet of travel," he explains while drawing Sam back from being taken into the portal.

"Here's an idea," Stephen grunts as he pulls, "let's keep those things away from each other,"

"Brilliant solution," Wong pulls the hero back to safety.

With the help of Thor, you were able to de-escalate the swarm of nightmarish creatures. Civilians were long evacuated, nothing but heroes in the street to defend the city of New York and the very dimension it sat in.

"Mind closing the portal now?!" Bucky slowly got back to his feet after skidding a meter or two along the ground, metal arm digging into the ground.

"Yeah, hold on," Strange and Wong started to mimic the same hand movements, magic turning slightly green as they match the spell towards the portal.