Chapter 27 - Mr. Sandman

A night of such great importance would never go as smoothly as this. You wondered why you ignored the gut feeling of creeping chaos. It was better to ease the thought than write it off as irrational thinking.

~~~

A creature of dark creation slithered against the wall through the cracks between floorboards and under carpets. Precautions were made to avoid the cloak who passed by from time to time, eventually settling to watch Clueless.

Small snickers left Nightmare's minion, as well as scorch marks from its talons. Each one dug into the old wood, giving enough momentum with each step to eventually leap into the quiet air.

~~~

The night soon turned to a close, hands around cold drinks within the exhibition. No one but the team was wandering about. They delve into each other's rooms, learning little details they hadn't ever thought to ask about.

You and Stephen decided to stay in Steve's room, the soft jazz giving the perfect atmosphere to dance. Swaying a little from side to side, his head rested against yours while his hands ran along your waist. He took you into a small spin, away from him, before a small tug towards his chest.

~~~

Its cackle caused the cloak to pause the movie and glide to the ruckus. Unbeknownst to said cloak, the creature had planted itself on the ceiling. It waited for the relic to float in confusion before letting go, claws digging into the fabric, ripping seams in delight.

The cloak's silent screams of agony failed to alert anyone or anything. All alone.

~~~

"I'm guessing you're enjoying tonight?" You whisper, eyes closed as your head now leaned against his shoulder.

"How could I not?" He kisses your cheek, eyes cast down to admire the look of peace on your face, "thank you for doing all of this... Donna would have loved to meet you," he says truthfully, "I would have loved for you to meet her,"

"Really? She would like to meet the person who despised her brother?" You raise a brow in confusion, a small smile playing on your lips.

"You know what I mean, L/n," he kisses the smile, matching it with his own, "I do need to tell you something, though,"

~~~

Once the cloak was nothing but shredded cotton, bunched up in the corner and hardly moving, the shadow creature continued along its mission.

From aisle to aisle, it eventually found its master's relic. A saddle made of onyx leather, doused in the dark magic of the dream dimension, practically oozing malicious intent. The closer the creature got, the more the saddle started to glow a bright green.

It started to thump like a beating heart had come to life within its binding. Rattling, shaking, causing a rumble in the ground, the moment the creature touched the hung saddle, it came crashing down with it.

Black liquid started to ooze out, like blood from a fresh victim, the smell of rotting flesh filling the hallway. Then, a spark. A single spark caused it to thump again, some sort of dark mist latching to the blood until bubbles formed a solid, building form.

~~~

You could tell his serious voice made this no joking matter. "What is it?"

"If this isn't the place or time, then tell me, because I've never been good at any of this," he took your hand as a safety measure, squeezing it. "And I don't think I ever will be good at it if I don't just... say it,"