XIV

Zak's POV

Why did I break so easily. I did the exact thing that could get me killed, show my vulnerability. I guess it doesn't really matter now considering it all starts in five minutes. Five minutes until I'm gone. Wow, that's a lot to think about.

We all had to start from different parts of the arena, Sam going with Minx to get her set up, and Eret going with me. We both stood in a small room with nothing more then a big, glass tube in the middle. "Lots of people like you, so I wouldn't worry about not getting any sponsors. I would argue that that's a really important thing to have." Eret spoke as I paced around the room nervously.

"Thanks, Eret. For everything." I keep my tone quiet and smooth, trying not to show fear. Trying to stay as confident as I can. "No problem, dear. You're going to do great." She answers with a smile, putting his hand on my shoulder as a reassuring gesture. That's when we hear a loud bell like sound. I see Eret's eyes widen, being glossed over with worry.

"Step in here for me, please." They gesture to the big glass tube, trying to keep their voice calm and steady. I already knew what was about to happen, so it was no surprise to me when the tube went completely pitch black. "Fuck." I mutter, trying to take deep breaths.

Not long after the tube finally opens, making me squint my eyes from the really bright light. I rub my eyes, getting them to get used to the light so I can see what's going on. "Shit." I mutter under my breath as I look at my surroundings. All the tributes were there as well, all on separate platforms meters away from each other.

In the middle of the circle of platforms was a huge metal cornucopia filled with supplies with a large, thick forest surrounding us. I looked around, not being able to spot Minx. Who I did find though wasn't the best. Bad was placed on the platform beside me to my right. We look at each other, making eye contact. He looked confident and ready to run to the middle. I on the other hand knew the middle was a full on death trap.

A loud beeping sound broke our eye contact, a huge digital timer appearing on top of the  cornucopia counting down from ten.

Five.

Four.

Three.

Two...

An even louder buzzer rang, indicating the games have just begun. Most ran for the middle, only less than a handful ran for the forest, I just stood there frozen. To scared to move. The thing that snapped me out of the state of fear I was in was, Dream, the tribute from district five started running towards me, large black duffle bag slung over his shoulder, axe in hand.
"Oh hell no." I panic under my breath, turning around to book it to the forest. I ran as fast as I could until I could barely hear anything, or breathe.

By the time I had stopped to rest my lungs felt like they were on fire, my legs feeling numb I decided to take a seat leaning my back up against a large elderly tree. I sat there for a good two hours, hearing footsteps every now and again, but they never saw me considering since I was surrounded by large bushes. I was so unbelievably tired, I could barely blink. I ended up drifting asleep right then and there, which isn't the best idea but I couldn't help it.