Part 13 - A stranger or a companion?

Mini: Arya... I... I'm sorry... Main...

Arya looked at her with teary eyes while Mini took her in her arms. But the very next moment, they heard some shout.

Arya: Yeh kya hua Veer Balika?

Mini: I don't know chhutanki.... Yeh awaz toh shayad.. Oh God!

They rushed out of the room and again heard the noise from Neil's room. Mini knocked on the door.

Mini: Dr Oberoi? Kya... Kya hua? Open the door!

He opened the door and shouted.

Neil: Aaahha... Chuhaaa..

Mini: What?

He jumped and clutched her close to him out of fear.

Mini: Yeh kya... What are you doing?? Leave me, Dr. Oberoi!!

Arya: 🤭🙈

Mini: DOCTOR OBEROI!!!

Her shout made him realise what he just did and he released her. She took a deep sigh.

Mini: What's wrong with you?

Neil: Woh... Chuha tha abhi wahan...

Mini: Chuha? A poor little mouse scares you??

Neil: Excuse me! Poor mouse? Poor woh nahi hai, poor main hoon.

Mini and Arya exchanged looks and slowly burst into fits of laughter.

Neil: You girls are laughing on a poor guy who has just been attacked by that stupid mouse??

Mini: Poor guy? The poor guy has just woken us from our sleep!... Jao yaar so jao. Let us also sleep. Khaa thodi jayega woh chuha... What? Don't give me those looks, Dr. Oberoi!

He glared at her while Arya giggled.

Mini: Waise, I've a suggestion... Agar yahan room mein problem hai toh bahar balcony bhi ek option hai. Wahan chuhe ke sath sath mosquitos bhi milenge.

Neil: 😐

Mini: 😏

Arya: 🤭🤭

Mini: Come on, Dr. Oberoi! This little girl is not scared and look at yourself!! Chuhe se kaun se darta hai?

Neil: Main darta hoon. Any problem? Ab aap dono ka ho gaya ho toh main so sakta hoon?

Mini: Kahan? Room mein hi ya bahar couch par?

He didn't reply and turned to go to sleep while Mini and Arya chuckled.

After some time, Arya had slept while Mini tried hard to sleep but Arya's words kept ringing in her ears. She felt restless. Her heart sank and numbness took over. She couldn't breathe and came out of her room after switching the lights off for Arya.

She was standing in the kitchen still in a state of numbness when Neil came there.

Neil: Ms. Khurana?

She was startled by his voice and looked at him with a blank face. He saw terror and anger in her eyes, and sweat on her forehead while her face looked as if she had seen a horrific sight.

Neil: Are you okay?

Mini: Hmm? Haan... I'm fine.. wh..what are you doing here?

She turned her face to the other side and wiped the sweat off.

Neil: Mujhe toh neend nahi aa rahi thi kyunki jagah nayi hai but... Why are you still awake?

Mini: Mujhe aksar purani jagah ki yaadein nahi sone deti.

Neil: Matlab?

Mini: Nahi.. kuch nahi.. Main coffee banane lagi thi.. would you like to have it?

He nodded his head.

She anxiously took out a saucepan while some other utensils fell down.

Neil: Aaram se! Main..bana doon?

Mini: Nahi. I'll manage.

He observed her uneasiness. At first, the gas didn't turn on even after several attempts. She continued to press the lighter and once the stove was set on, she hurriedly put the saucepan on it which fell off the stove as it lost its balance.

Neil: Calm down!! Main bana deta hoon coffee... Please sit.

Mini: Nahi. Maine kaha na main kar lungi.

Neil: Please Ms. Mini. You don't look fine. Baitho. Main bana deta hoon.

Mini: It's okay... I..

Neil: Mini, sit down!

His last words not only reflected concern but also showed a strange connection he felt at that moment. She looked at him surprised and he too, was surprised at himself that how he called her by her first name for the very first time. His soothing words relaxed her a little. She distanced herself from the stove, and let him make the coffee.

Soon after the coffee was made, he went to the balcony where Mini was already sitting, again lost in some thoughts.

Neil: Your coffee... Ms. Khurana

Ikk Kudi Jida Naam Mohabbat
Ghum Hai Ghum Hai Ghum Hai
Ikk Kudi Jida Naam Mohabbat
Ghum Hai Ghum Hai Ghum Hai

She wiped the tears off from her eyes and thanked him while taking the coffee mug from his hand. He sat next to her.

Soorat Uss Di Pariyaan Wargi
Seerat Di o... Mariyam Lagdi..

She looked calm but lost. Her eyes were void of emotions but he was able to see through those deep orbs which showed distress and suffering.

To lighten her mood and atmosphere around, he said,

Neil: Aapne jhuth kaha mujhse Ms. Khurana.

Mini: Hmm?

Neil: Aur kya? Mujhe jaan kar uss chuhe wale kamre mein sone bheja aur kaha ki bahar mosquitos hain.. kahan hain mosquitos yahan?

She smiled slightly and averted her gaze from him.

Neil: You can talk to me. Sometimes it's okay to share the load of your heart with a stranger...

She was alerted and turned her face towards him.

"Because a complete...

"Stranger? Dr. Oberoi, I don't know what name to give to our relationship but... You're not a stranger. So don't say that again!"

A soft smile appeared on his lips though he could only gaze at her in astonishment.

Precap - "... it's damn DANGEROUS.."

"Concerned for your... Dr. Oberoi."

Happy reading ❤️