Part 42 - Mourning the loss

Warning: Keep a box of tissues beside you.
_____________________________________

Concerned, Mini kept her hand on his shoulder to bring him back to reality. Neil, who seemed lost was once again alerted feeling her soft touch on himself. He blankly looked at her which worried her even more. Tears continued to seep down his cheeks though he didn't sob. Mini quickly poured some water in a glass and made him drink it.

Mini: (Keeping her hand on his shoulder) You should take some rest, Neil. We can talk later if yo..

Neil: No Mini... Please don't go.. I.. I really want to be free from the baggage I've been carrying for ages!!

Mini: Okay. Relax! Main yahi hoon. Just calm down!! Hmm?

He just nodded his head lightly and wiped the tears off his face before he continued with the story...

Neil: I took her out. She was so happy that day, and excited too for her thirteenth birthday. Sabse chhoti thi naa ghar mein, isliye sabki laadli bhi thi. Even I used to pamper her a lot. Tease karta tha par pyaar bhi usse zyada karta tha. Usey guitar ka bahot shauq tha. All thanks to mom! Toh jaisa woh chahti thi, le gaya usey guitar dilwane. That day was dedicated to her. After I got the guitar for her, we spent the entire day together. Mall gaye, lunch kiya and... Mini, you know.. I still can recall that happy and cheerful face of hers. Kitni khush thi..

I told you know naa, she was a bright student.. and also an all rounder! Took part in all the school activities.. sports mein bhi kafi active thi. Because of what she was the tallest girl in her class..And that day.. she asked me for something else too.. as her birthday gift...

Flashback

Neil: ARE YOU CRAZY?? NO!! I WON'T LET THIS HAPPEN!

Naira: Please bhaiya!! Just for once... Please, please, please...

Neil: Never!! Bahot chhoti hai tu. Aur papa ko pata chala na toh mujhe nahin chhodenge woh.. waise bhi, it's risky. I can't put your life at risk like this... Ab chal ghar.. bahot ghum liya.

Naira: Bhaiya, please!! Kuch nahin hoga. Aur kaun batayega papa ko? Main zyada dur jaungi hi nahin. Aapke saamne hi rahungi.. I promise... Please ek baar apni bike chalane do..

He just gave her some death glares while she innocently pouted.

Naira: Maine pehle bhi toh chalai thi..

Neil: What?? Tune bike kab chalai? Meri...?

Naira: Nahin. Aap kahan dete ho apni bike! Woh toh meri ek friend hai, uska bhai tenth mein hai, uske paas hai bike. Toh jab main apni friend se milne gayi thi uske ghar, tab..

Neil: Tu pagal hai kya Naira?? Do you know how risky it was?? Mummy ko bataya?

Naira: Nahin.

Neil: (he was angry at her immaturity and almost shouted at her) Tu.. tera dimag kharab hai? (She had tears in her eyes) Bacchi hai tu abhi. Kuch ho jata toh? Dur raha kar aise doston se! (He sighed as he noticed tears in her eyes) Ab.. ab jo hua woh sab chhod aur ghar chal, mummy ki kafi calls aa gayi hain.

Naira: Aapne promise kiya tha ki aaj jo main mangungi aap mana nahin karoge.. please naa.. tab shayad meri galti thi, risky tha par ab toh aap ho naa sath. Toh kya problem hai?

Neil: Yaar Naira.. kaise samjhau main tujhe?.. chal theek hai, lekin main sath chalunga..

Naira: Par..

Neil just glared at her and she didn't have any option. He gave her the keys. She started it. Neil sat behind her on the bike.

Naira: Bhaiya, humesha aap mujhe drop karte ho naa toh aaj main aapko ghar tak drop karungi..

Neil: Bilkul bhi nahin.. bas issi redlight se U-turn lekar rok de side mein.. aage main chalaunga..

She was about to say something but the signal turned green. The moment she took a U-turn, a huge commercial truck from the other side came at a high speed, and hit the bike. She lost the balance and fell down while Neil fell on the other side of the road. The truck came above her and almost crushing her head, drove away mercilessly. (A similar accident occurred with my closed one) Soon after, a crowd of people gathered around the accident spot. Neil, who had fallen unconscious after being hit by a boulder, soon regained consciousness. With a blurred vision, he saw the crowd and ran towards the spot, and saw his little sister lying in the pool of blood.

He couldn't process what he saw. He felt as if his world turned upside down within a few minutes. His eyes were stuck on her body filled with blood and slowly he knelt down in front of her, while the tears cascaded down his face. Her smiling face came right in front of his vision, making her bloody body foggy. With shaky hands, he touched and shook her shoulder with the hope of waking her up but soon realising the fact, he only shrieked and cried in loss and pain of a loved one.

A man from the crowd called the police and the ambulance. She was soon taken to a nearby hospital where the doctors declared her brought dead. Neil's injuries were taken care of. However, he didn't look the same Neil who was teasing his sister a few hours ago. Numbness took over him. He looked disturbed and broken whose life had been shattered with the irreparable loss of a closed one. He too was quite young and didn't know how to handle himself. However, after his injuries were bandaged, he knew he had to break this misfortune to his family. He took Naira's body back home.

The door was opened by his mother who immediately fell unconscious seeing her deceased daughter in her son's arms. His father cried his heart out seeing his doting daughter's dead body and unconscious wife lying on the floor. Whereas Neil was broken seeing his mother in that condition. His happy family was broken into different pieces and he just stood there doing nothing but only observing it getting destroyed even more. All her last rites were completed by the end of the day. Neil's mother was losing her consciousness every now and then while his father was trying to handle her and himself.

At night, everybody was in their respective rooms, grieving for their irreparable loss in their own manner. Neil's eyes were turning moist every now and then as he was recollecting good old days spent with his loving sister. Her memories brought a smile to his lips and tears in his eyes at the same time. He recalled teasing her for no reason. He reminisced about the afternoon spent with her, getting her gifts for her birthday which was the next day. His memories took a halt when he recollected about her insisting on riding his bike. He blamed himself for the current situation of his family as the guilt of letting her ride the bike and then seeing her dead in front of his eyes, engulfed him from within. He cried his heart out and soon sleep took over him.

Back to the present, Mini was jolted with this revelation. She, who was so far unaware of his part of life, was now stupefied to know about this fact. Tears made their way through her eyes and rolled down her face when she shut them tight. She slowly opened her eyes again and saw Neil with an expressionless face. He continued to look at the bedsheet without any purpose, perhaps recollecting the beautiful and the worst days of his life altogether.

Not a happy reading at all, I know but your favourite part is on its way 🙂 ❤️ stay tuned!