Part 19 - A connection

He smiled amidst the tears and blinked his eyes in assurance. He turned towards the still gathered crowd..

Neil: Aap sab log yahan khade ho kar tamasha dekh rahe hain? At least call the ambulance!!

Knocking on the door, he called Arya but got no response from her.

Neil: Darwaza todna padega. Aap mein se koi aaiye please.

Some men from the crowd came forward to help him and within a few minutes, the door was opened. Neil ran inside followed by Mini. Fortunately, the fire didn't break out in the entire house but being a small house, it was full of smoke. Mini ran towards Arya's room but Neil held her hand.

Neil: No Mini! Don't go inside.

Mini: Par.. Arya.. Arya ander hai. Mujhe jana hai.

Neil: It's not safe!!

Mini: I don't care.

Releasing her hand from his hold, she turned to go inside but he pulled her close to him. Holding firmly by her arms and looking straight into her puffy eyes, he said,

"But I do. (She was going to speak but he cut her short) Don't ask me why! It's just that I...(She could see concern and care for herself in his eyes, he sighed) You won't go inside. Just stay here."

"But.."

"No ifs and buts! You trust me, right?"

She nodded her head.

"Then do as I say. Please leave!"

Tears continued to flow from their eyes. In a very soft and concerning voice, he again pleaded with her..

"I'll get her out at any cost. But you go please!"

Neil left her arms slowly ran inside the room. He saw Arya beside the bed in a half conscious state. He tried waking her up but she didn't respond making him tense even more. He immediately held her in his arms and brought her out amidst the smoke that was now settling down.

Mini saw them and quickly took Arya from Neil and hugged her tightly. Her tears didn't stop flowing seeing Arya in that condition. Her tears and sobs pierced Neil's heart as he too had tears in his eyes.

Rani: Bhaiya ambulance toh abhi tak nahi aayi.

Mini looked up at him with a face which reflected fear.

Neil: Don't worry. I've an emergency kit at home. Come.

They rushed to his house and laid Arya on the bed in Poonam's room. Neil examined her while Mini sat beside her, stroking her head. Her tears didn't stop. Neil looked up at her..

Neil: Mini, she's fine. Please calm down!

Mini: Par isey hosh kyun nahi aa raha?

Neil: Hosh bhi aa jayega. Shock ki wajah se woh unconscious ho gayi hai. Kal subah tak dekhna sab theek ho jayega.

Mini kissed her forehead while her teardrop fell on Arya's face. She couldn't see her in that condition and ran out of the room. Neil covered Arya with a duvet. Turning the lights off, he too came out of the room.

Mini settled herself on the chair of a dining table. She sat erect facing her back at Neil while he stood behind her. She was lost in thoughts when Neil pulled a chair and sat beside her. It was then she was alarmed and realised his presence. She turned to him with teary eyes. Neil gently kept his hands on hers.

Neil: Are you okay?

Mini: No! No, I'm not okay. I almost lost my sister and you're asking me if I'm okay?

Tears gushed out from her eyes making him weak.

Neil: Relax! Sab theek hai ab. Arya is also fine.

Mini: She's all I have. She's the only one I can call my family. You don't know Neil..you don't know how it feels to lose your only family..how it feels to lose a loved one..

Hearing this, his face turned pale, eyes which were already moist, turned red and his jaw clenched.

"I know! I know how it feels to lose a loved one, to lose a family," he replied bluntly. "I too have fel... , he started to add further after a short pause but was interrupted by Mini who didn't seem to listen to him.

Mini: Babes aur Papa ke baad ek wahi toh hai mere paas. Agar aaj usey kuch ho jata toh main... Main kya karti? It's all my fault. I shouldn't have gone out leaving her all alone.

Neil: Hey! Don't say that. It's not your fault.. it never was.

Mini: But if I hadn't gone out...

"If you hadn't gone then you too would have ended up in trouble. How would you have saved her then?," he interrupted her. "Now don't think too much. She's absolutely fine," he added.

Mini nodded her head and he smiled a little.

Neil: You're very strong, Mini. I've seen your strength. I understand that an emotional side just kicked in and has affected you but that's okay. It's very normal... Now go, sleep. Arya is also alone there. Go inside.

Mini: No! I... I can't sleep there... Arya might get disturbed if I turn the lights on..

Neil: But why do you need to turn the light on?

Mini: I... I... I can't sleep with the lights off.

She looked at him and then averted her gaze from him. He saw the same fear in her eyes which was there when he stayed for the night at her house. He wanted to ask her but knew that it was not the right time. Moreover, he wanted her to relax her mind and get a good sleep first.

Neil: You can sleep in my room. I'll manage somewhere here..

Mini: No, I... I am fine.. I'm not even feeling sleepy.

Neil: But you need rest. I insist..

He said while slightly pressing her hands with his. They noticed their laced fingers and immediately left each other's hands.

Neil: I... I.. was.. I was saying that you should take some rest. You can sleep in my room.

Mini: But where will you sleep?

Neil: Don't worry about me. I'll manage.

They went inside. Neil gave her a blanket while she sat on the bed comfortably.

Neil: If you need anything else just call me up, okay? I'm outside.

He was going out when he noticed her injured arm.

Neil: Mini, what's that on your arm?

She looked at it and realised she was hurt.

"I .. I don't know... May be it got hurt when I tried opening the door."

He took out a first aid box and applied an anticeptic on her injured arm. She kept on adoring him while he was busy bandaging her arm. However, deep down in their hearts, they both thought how they became so important for each other. What was the connection that made them feel so different?

"Take care," he said while keeping the first aid box back into the drawer.

He was leaving but she held his little finger. He turned towards her with a puckered brow.

Mini: Please stay here. At least.. until I sleep.

He smiled slightly and blinked his eyes in assurance. He sat beside her while their fingers were still intact. She laid down on the bed and looked up at him.

Precap - "It belonged to my parents.."
"You can still make your own little home.."
"Home is where our heart is."

Happy reading ❤️