Part 41 - The bitter-sweet memories

She slowly moved towards him and pressed her palm on the back of his hand.
____________________________________

Neil: Next day (he took a deep breath) I heard her talking to her parents on call. Then I realised, it was not because of Tanya but her family that we started having differences. Jo bhi humare beech ladaiyan hoti thi, woh sab isliye kyunki uska brainwash kiya ja raha tha. Mini, I don't understand how can parents try to break their girl's home? Par iska matlab yeh bhi nahin tha ki Tanya khud yeh sab nahin kar rahi thi. Haan, uski family ne uska support kiya par woh khud bhi toh..

Mini: K..kya baat huyi thi aisi? Matlab, phone par uske parents ne aisa kya kaha tha?

Neil: Woh toh nahin pata mujhe. Par unse phone par baat karke woh ghar se chali gayi. Aur agle din sirf ek summon aaya. Divorce papers lekar.

Mini: What!?

Neil: Mini, I tried everything! Maine bahot koshish ki thi uss rishte ko bachane ki par woh rishta hath se fisalte rait ki tarah ho gaya tha. Maine usse baat karne ki bhi koshish ki par.. she wasn't ready to listen to me. Phir mujhe ehsas hua ki uss rishte mein Tanya toh kabhi thi hi nahin. Sirf main tha. Akela!

Flashback

Tanya was talking to her mother over a phone call when Neil came out of his room. She saw him and immediately ended the call.

Neil: Kiska phone tha?

Tanya: Tumse matlab?

Neil: What do you mean? Mujhe tumse matlab nahin hoga toh aur kisse hoga?

Tanya: Main mummy ke ghar ja rahi hoon. Kab aaungi, pata nahin. Toh wait mat karna.

She was about to leave but he held her arm.

Neil: Hey Tanu, listen! Jo hua usey bhool jao. Maine bhi kal raat ko overreact kar diya tha. I'm sorry. Let's make a new start. Hmm?

Tanya: It's not working Neil. Waise kal jo hua theek hi hua. Main bhi soch rahi thi tumse iss baare mein kaise baat karu par tumne khud hi sab aasan kar diya mere liye. So thanks! Also now, I need some time to think. And some peace too.

His grip on her arm loosened. She left, leaving him teared apart. He tried to stop her but she didn't turn around. Dejected, he went to his room. Later, he tried calling her but she neither answered his calls nor replied to his messages. He decided to meet her at her house. He went there but was asked to leave by her family. The following day, he received divorce papers. He was heartbroken and was once again left all alone. He tried to talk to her but all was in vain. After several attempts, Tanya attended his call only to speak herself.

Neil: Tan..

Tanya: Listen Neil! Please don't bother me now. Just sign those papers and let me be free from this relationship. Main vapas nahin aa rahi hoon. It's over!!

Saying this, she hung up on him. His tears-filled orbs were feeling heavy and the moment he shut those eyes, the tears rolled down his cheeks.

Flashback ends.

He looked depressed, disheartened and shattered but was not alone when he narrated his story to her. He sobbed and cried his heart out without the fear of being judged while she was just listening to him, silently, without any complaints. Holding his hand in hers, she gave him the warmth he had been yearning for years. She didn't interrupt him with the thousands of questions she had on her mind and only concentrated on each and every word he spoke. His pain could be reflected in her eyes which was visible in the form of tears. She came close and sat next to him, not leaving his hand.