🌸 ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟞 🌊

He knew it was risky, and stupid. Scaramouche was the 6th harbinger- known for his cruelty and harsh treatment to his subordinates- and his prowess on the battlefield was astounding. For most people, going against him head on meant suicide. But not him. He was a harbinger too. He raised his hydro daggers, aiming for Scaramouche's right arm, which held Y/N by the throat. He couldn't kill his colleague, no, but the 6th could surely live without one of his hands. After all, he would still have three appendages left after this. Childe brought the dagger down- just for Scaramouche to disappear. His eyes widened. He had forgotten to account for-

Childe gasped as he slammed into a tree face first, wincing as the rough bark of the sandbearer tree scraped into his skin. He wobbled, then fell into the snow on his front. He raised his head, where Scaramouche stood a good ten meter away, unharmed and looking at him scathingly. Scaramouche was extremely agile- and because of his height, easily evaded taller opponents. His power also allowed him to blip away- and reappear in a slightly different location. Hence why he was able to dodge Childe's attack and put distance between them in mere seconds.

That idiot. He really had gotten reckless. And for this girl? Wait- not a girl. This was no longer a human. What was so useful about it anyway? He clenched his teeth, glancing towards the demon in his grip. His eyebrows furrowed. It had stopped struggling. Instead, it was staring, wide eyed at Childe, lying on the snow. Its body trembled, fanged mouth agape. And, as Scaramouche watched in wonder, he thought- he saw tears beginning to well in its violet eyes. But that was impossible, right? Because demons couldn't feel. Demon's wanted nothing but blood. All they did was take the lives of loved ones, for their own survival. That was what he knew.

"Ugh..." Childe groaned, his vision slightly blurred as he stared ahead. Ah. He must have hit his head- on the tree, or on the ground. Not hard enough to concuss him (again, mind you) but enough to send him reeling. His sight began to darken. No, not now- He thought desperately. I have to save Y/N... He closed his eyes, and promptly face planted into the snow.

Eh? Scaramouche cranned his neck, squinting his eyes at Childe's unmoving figure. Seriously? Did he pass out? He didn't even kick him that hard. The demon whimpered. "Oh shut it, you," He snapped. "I'll slit your neck soon enough." It snarled. "Grr... GRaH!" Scaramouche's eyes widened as it wrenched itself out of his grasp, swinging its leg at him in a powerful kick, sending snow flying into the air. He quickly dodged, jumping in the air and landing a few feet away, summoning his catalyst and preparing for battle. Only- the demon no longer had its attention on him. It braced a leg behind it- and jumped, hands outstretched towards Childe. "No!" He shouted, feeling a slight panic rise along with the words in his throat. He quickly smothered the emotion and pushed it deep down. Shoot. He had miscalculated. That demon was going to kill him! Scaramouche blinked. He stared at the sight in front of him. Wait. What the-

~🌸🌊~

When he opened his eyes, he was on his back. The evening sun beat warmly onto his face, and he could see the trees towering over him all around his vision. He lifted his hands off his stomach, hesitantly spreading them on both sides beside him. Cold. Snow? Wait. Snow? The events of the past day came flooding back to him. "Y/N!" He sat up, wincing at the crick in his neck as he quickly turned towards him. His shoulders sagged in relief at the sight of Y/N lying there, beside him- and unharmed. She seemed to be sleeping, her hair spread out around her head like a halo, claw fingered hands held clasped together beside her face as she curled up into herself. Thank the archons. He noticed the bamboo muzzle tied around her mouth with a red chord. He frowned, reaching towards it.

"Don't." Childe looked up. Scaramouche stood in front of him in what Childe liked to call his signature pose. Arms crossed, feet apart, face set in a deep scowl. "It's to make sure no blood gets in her mouth. If that happens, we're all doomed." Childe stared at him wide eyed in surprise. "You- why aren't you-" "Killing her?" Scaramouche interupted. "Believe me, I want to," He snarled. "But you know what, whatever. There wasn't any bood around her mouth, or on her claws," He continued. "So she didn't kill those kids. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone, then it doesn't matter." Childe frowned. "Of course she didn't hurt them! Taki and Mitsuha were her siblings! Her own family!"