🌸 ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟠 🌊

Childe froze, staring wide eyed at Y/N for her reaction. To her credit, she seemed pretty unfazed even though she was currently facing off an abomination- a monster. Y/N blinked slowly, humming through her bamboo muzzle as she rocked on her heels. "...Hmm?" Childe deadpanned. Of course. Sweet, innocent Y/N. Can't even tell apart a monster to a rabbit. The monster snarled. "You... you smell like a human..." It slid closer, to which Y/N responded by stepping back further- only to back into the wall of a building. "Shameless... How shameless!" It snarled. "Coluding with humans! Stinking filth!" It raised its tentacle- and Childe jumped. He soared through the air, summoning his bow and triggering the mechanism to transition into dual wielding. He brought it down on the slimy appendage, slashing through it and rolling to a stop in front of Y/N. "Mfhm?"

"Oh?" The monster leered at him. "You... don't seem like a demon," It mused. "And also... that smell..." Childe blinked, resisting the urge to sniff himself. Did he really smell? The last time he bathed was literally just- oh. Wait, that might be why. "You're that human!" It said, triumphantly. "Ha, for a demon to protect such a human as you... you must be important, right?" Its eyes narrowed into slits as it laughed, a strange combination of snorts and chittering. "So... if you were to die..." Childe's blood ran cold- and he barely had any time to bring his daggers to his face to block the monster's next attack.

The tentacles buid more speed and force as they shoot towards him- and not only that, they're slippery, and almost rubbery, so they're hard to cut- he thought. "I can see the look in your eyes!" The monster sang. "You think you can beat me! Beat me, a demon! Ha! You can try!" A demon. It wasn't just any monster. There were more of them out there- more of the things that had slaughtered Y/N's siblings- and possibly-

"I don't know what killed him. One night he went out to town, and he just... never came back."

Y/N. I think I know, he thought as he dodged another swipe- the attack slamming into the wall behind him, leaving a large crater in the stone bricks. I think I know now- what killed your father. He jumped as a tentacle swiped at his legs, almost falling over when it caught on his ankles. He slashed through them, quickly righting himself before sidestepping another attempt to slam him into the ground.

There was no questioning it. Y/N's father- he had left at night, and had never returned. He had learned from Scaramouche that demon's only hunted when the sun wasn't out- because sunlight burned them, and could kill them. It was also why Scaramouche had warned him to keep Y/N covered during the day. Y/N's father had never abandonned them. He was killed by a demon. And now, Y/N had become one herself. If she ever knew the truth...

Childe transformed his daggers back into his bow, quickly nocking a hydro infused arrow and pointing it towards the demon- only- it wasn't there. He grit his teeth. He- he made a mistake. He whipped his head around, but it was nowhere to be seen. Which only meant- he looked up- and there it was- it had jumped in the sky, and was now descending towards him, its sharp toothed mouth opened wide to devour him. He was frozen. In fear? In shock? He didn't know. Move, his mind shouted to himself. Move, before you get killed! But he couldn't-

Crack. A horrifying screech. The demon's body, now beheaded, continued to fall- he sidestepped, and it crashed into the ground with a sickening squelch and the crunch of breaking bones. He brought his gaze shakingly up to Y/N, crouched in front of him and heaving heavily. The demon's head lay a few feet away. Y/N- as quick as a flash- had leapt in the air and kicked it right off it's shoulders- with more strength and agility than she had had when she was human. Scaramouche- although he hated to admit it- was right. Y/N wasn't weak. She was a demon now.He sighed. "Y/N," He called. Y/N flinched, turning towards him slowly. Her eyes. They were like before- again... he inched closer. "Y/N... It's me, remember?" Y/N blinked. He waited, counting silently in his head. One. Y/N panted, staring at him with conflict in her eyes. Two. Y/N straightened, her face lighting up with recognition. Three. Y/N was Y/N again, and she hopped to her feet and trotted over to him, standing expectantly in front of him. His heart warmed, and he reached forward and patted her head a few times, to which she happily closed her eyes and hummed in contentment. "You... you did good."