Mipha's Grace+

Dark clouds loomed over the East Reservoir. The guards on patrol were uneasy. The sun wasn't out and the birds were no longer chirping from this morning. I stood just outside the East Reservoir as the thundering and crashing of lightning forced the guards to retreat. 

My breathe felt heavy, my heart quaking, and my eyes never leaving the Divine Beast that harbored this land. Vah Ruta was in chaos. I could feel it. I could hear it. It's cries bellowed through the reservoir, sending the grounds rumbling in its wake. 

 It wasn't supposed to happen like this-

The ground shifting, the tides rising and roaring with each cry. There was no time to retreat as a soaring wave came tumbling towards me sweeping me away with the current. I felt my head spin as I pulled back and forth by the rapid changes of the stream. I was given but a moment to reorient myself- I bursted through to the surface, swimming as fast as I could, towards Ruta. 

Towards Ruto. Ruto who had won the competition for the next Zora to try for Vah Ruta. Someone I couldn't lose. My teacher.  I wouldn't lose her to the silence of deafening noise and the clash of lightning just above me. I continue to glide forward in the water, my eyes set on Vah Ruta as it rears its defenses. 

This was the first trial. The one the Zora Guards have been talking about. Disengaging Vah Ruta. The irony of it all was that the means to stop Ruta was to deliver shock arrows just above each of the four legs to enter. Shock arrows that are considered lethal to Zora. 

No Ruto. She made it through. But my fight wasn't over- A flying block of ice came barreling towards me as I leaped into the air. I twisted my body away from the projectile only missing it by a few centimeters. Once I hit the water and surged down belong to appear on the opposite side of Ruta. 

Again those blocks of ice were there. Ready as two came flying in my vicinity. Oh Naydra if only there was a way. I dive down below hoping to avoid the ice spreading to the water. If I did not hurry, my advantage would be taken. I could tell quickly that Ruta was freezing the water. 

Ruta did not want me to get away. And I wasn't planning on running. I plunge forward, head twisted in the direction of Vah Ruta's back leg. Lightning bellows above me, almost too close. Too close I peer quickly at my shoulder- The light scale trident gleamed an eerie hue. 

"This battle isn't lost yet." I grit my teeth as I pull the trident off my back. I keep my pace, swimming and kicking as I lift the trident above me hoping to attract some form of lightning. The lightning misses. It passes me. It's unpredictable and wild and I can feel my senses dwindle. Perhaps I may lose this battle...

NO. I can't lose..Not with my family, Sidon...my people...Link...not with their safety on the line! I hoist the trident up once more, passing by the left front leg of Vah Ruta towards the rear left leg. I had to be smarter, resourceful, even by chance, all my chances need to count. 

A quick twist away from a falling block of ice, sets me off balance for a split second. When I see a clear shot at Vah Ruta's right rear leg. Time seems to slow- the rushing water I push through doesn't burn with the multiple ice shards scattered in its wake. The lightning crawls down from the heavens inching slowly towards the water. Now's my chance. I MUST TAKE IT. 

I kick forward, ignoring the screaming pain in my legs. The lightning slithers downward. I'm almost there. It reaches it's moment before the thunder. Here I am, curling the water, like some protective veil. Impact is almost imminent. The trident touches the air- clatter. 

The lightning grabbed the metal. NOW PUSH. I surge forward, the water from the current I ensued pushes my tired body-

The weak spot. Right there- in my reach, just at the beginning of the descent of Ruta's feet. The lightning crawls towards my fingers. I need to make this count.