10

JACE

JACE

The rainy days continue to bathe the city of Seattle. I find it depressing. The environment matches my mind. Loud and conflicted. I pace past the windows as a patrolling soldier would. My mind flashes just as the lightning does outside; only my blinding brain doesn't cease. My thoughts flicker back and forth between moments Madi and I had. All the sweet moments race within my mind.  

The office. Where I waited on her to give her a dress tailored just for her. Our first date, where I felt my heart crippling and thrashing, yet I hid it. Our first kiss...her feisty mouth vacuuming mine. Pressuring me, pushing my limit. I wanted to take it further. If she knew the things I wanted to do to her...and how much strength it took me to stop. 

I knew Madi was different, so I was strict with myself. Probably the most tamed I've ever been in my life. The fact that I placed Madi above cravings showed that I loved her. Of course, I didn't say it. I needed to wait and see if we worked together. I knew we could...Madison brought out another side of me. 

A side that wanted to settle down and find meaning. To find love. Is that side of me still alive? Can all the good times keep me wanting her? Wanting a wife and a family? Or will the bad times outweigh the good? Because right now, my mind keeps visiting the last day I saw her on the jet.

I leave the trickling windows and head upstairs. Pacing around is starting to lose its comforting impact. I decide to head up the steel staircase to the gym room. Being active always pacifies my mind. Racing and skydiving were the best methods. 

Since I can't go away for days on end, my only option is lifting or running. I choose the treadmill since it requires the most endurance. I work my legs and arms like a track star. The peddling sound of my feet and the whirling machine don't do much to distract me. 

The past comes back tenfold. The memories return. I gaze at the weight area to fend this off. I think lifting will help. More energy goes into arm exercises than running. I near an obliques section to a standing machine. This one is for the arms. I grab the drawstring weight and begin a static hold. Extending my arms and holding in my core. 

I perform 3 reps for 30 seconds. My muscles engage. I focused hard on this, breathing as needed-all the way in and all the way out. But this testy exercise doesn't cure my reminiscing. I think I still feel the same. If I don't...if I have decided to leave. Then why did I express so much? Not just to Madi, but to my investors? 

FLASHBACK

TWO MONTHS AGO

I keep looking at the French doors, hoping by some miracle that Madison is working. She isn't. None of the busy bar stations hold her. As if Madison would be back on the job this soon. She only left my place 3 days ago. All healed up and set to stay with that nutcase, Brad. I should've asked her to try me. I should've let her know I'd never put her through so much drama. "She still has you chasing, huh?" Chester leans against his golf stick with a comical expression.