26

The sound of the audience petrifies me

The sound of the audience petrifies me. The wave of applause. The theme music intro. I'm paler than the yellow dress I wear. I'll look like a ghost on stage. My mind is on edge. My thoughts race. I don't think I can do this! Something will go wrong. I know I'll mess up. I peer from backstage. There are studio cameras and hundreds of people. The tall stage lights blind me. Jace cradle my hands in his. "You'll be fine...everyone has stage fright the first time." 

"I doubt you did." I protest in fear.

"In high school, argument and debate. I stammered and shook the whole time. But I made myself get through it. If I didn't, I would've never gotten better."

I exhale slowly and close my eyes. "What if I puke...or forget what to say?"

"Forget Velma's script. Answer genuinely. The viewers will detect if your answers are rehearsed." He kisses me. "You won't puke. The key is to focus on one person at a time."

"I'm not good at that." I fret.

"Relax." He rubs my shoulders. I stare at the floor. "You'll do fine."

A backstage worker approaches us. "Five minutes until the call."

"Please bring her ice water."

"Of course." The employee taps off.

"I can do most of the talking."

"I'll look weird if I don't talk enough."

"No, you won't, you'll seem shy. Everyone knows this is your first time on television. Camera fright is normal." He smooches my hand.

The worker returns with a glass of ice water. There are plenty of cubes in it. "Thank you." I take a huge gulp. The chill is strong enough to freeze my teeth and tongue. I swallow, then go for another gulp. My nerves aren't calmed just yet. My hand quakes. Maybe Jace is right. He's used to public speaking. I remember when I first saw him on TV. He owned the stage. 

"30 seconds." The employee informs. 

I finish half of the glass before handing it back. Jace fixes my lipstick with his thumb. "It'll be perfect, just like you. I said this before, you can't ruin anything when you look this amazing."

The theme music sounds. "Their names have been shipped. Everyone is talking about how the tech king has a soon-to-be bride." Michael Strahan announces. "The GMA3 studio will be the first to get answers from the American royal couple. Please help us welcome. Madison Hart and Jace Harrison!" 

The crowd roars. Jace leads me to the stage. I wrap my arm around his. Beams of light come from the audience and the ceiling. There are five white chairs as tall as stools. Michael, Robin, and Lara charmingly smile our way. As we near the chairs, I keep my posture straight, my chin up. My steps are small, and my glide is feminine. 

 I focus on what Velma taught me last night. I swipe my dress under before sitting and angle my legs to the side so they're not open. Jace's chair is too far, I wish it was closer so I can hold his hand. I take Jace's advice to focus on one person at a time. I have to be polite and address the hosts with kind eye contact and a smile. I think I can do it. I look to Robin, still a bit bashful.