To Show The World

Kolkata 25th Dec, 2017

Sourav Ganguly couldn't see to remove the smile off his face as he browsed through his twitter account. He usually practices what he preaches, and even after almost 10 years of his retirement has always tried to avoid the media circus after ICT plays a match, but today it was different. He had by chance caught a glimpse of a familiar face wearing a Santa cap on Sana's tab who had very merrily showed him the full photo and then had gone on to check the entire event through the videos. That indulgent smile on his kid's face when the cap was being put on and the twinkling eyes crinkling at the corners as he smiled was enough to make Dada go into a realization of how matured his kid has become. And what made him swoon more over the pictures, apart from the obvious cuteness of his kid (Dada's words not mine) was the legacy of things being carried forward.

-$--$--$--$--$--$--$--$--$--$--$--$--$--$--$--$--$--$--$--$--$--$--$--$--$--$-

2006, Visakhapatnam

SOURAV GANGULY had made his comeback to international cricket. He had shown inexplainable talent in West Indies. and had successfully bagged the Man of the Series award, making him again one of the frontline players of ICT.

The ICT camp was far from what it used to be, Greg was still the coach and was trying to dominate the ground, Dravid though was against most of his decisions was silently working to correct them, and the Indian public were questioning the integrity of the team. The next series was a home series against Sri Lanka and the camp was preparing in full force for it. No matter how dull their moods were no one, in no state would risk the matches.

The series was of 4 match ODI games, however since the first match was abandoned, India and Sri Lanka were both 1-1 making the 4th ODI extremely crucial for winning the series.

The team had reached the hotel in Vishakhapatnam the previous day already and as usual they all were piling in Dada's room, which seemed to be a more rampant occurence ever since his comeback. While Zak had dozed off in a corner, Bhajju and Sree were planning on tricks to wake him up. Sachin, Viru and Anil were prying Dada's luggage to search for the snacks that he had hidden from the eyes of his friends. Ms and Yuvi had made Dada their personal pillow and Teddy Bear caging him with their legs and hands as Dada kept on stroking their head. They all decided to retire early that night as next day they had an early morning practice.

As Dada spoke to Dona who has been always on the tenterhooks ever since the unfaithful incident, he heard a door breaking knock. Bidding bye to his wife, he opened the door to see a 25 year old kid, standing with his pillow covered in sweat. As he opened the door wide, the person just plopped into his bed without any preamble. Of course, sleeping in Dada's room was never a rare occurence, however people at least spoke to him, this was the first time that the person didn't even bother to give him a glance. As the person adjusted himself to become comfortable on the bed, Dada closed the door shaking his head. No matter how many years he spent in the team every time his kids came with new whims to make him not know how to deal with them. 

As soon as he sat on the bed, the person just plopped on him pushing his head into Dada's chest. Dada tried coaxing his kid, Kya hua hai? Y r u sad? Accha jhagra hua hai? Neend nahi aa rahi hai? Bhook lagi hai?, however at all his assumption the kid just shook his head.

Dada sighed. Sometimes he couldn't help but wish there would be a handbook: 101 WAYS TO DEAL WITH MY KIDDOS, his life would have been so much easier. As he was musing, he realized the intruder of his room was shaking and his tears has already wetted his shirt.

As Dada tried pushing him up, he heard an almost mumble, 'I saw....I saw you left again....you left again, and didn't talk to me and didn't come back....' Dada just sat holding him tightly and kept on muttering reassurances as he calmed down. As Dada tried to move, he was trapped in a vice grip.