Chapter 7

Nasa taniman sila ngayon ng kape at nagmemeryenda. Alas kwatro na ng hapon at ito na ang huling destinasyon nila. Kasalukuyan silang nakaupo sa ilalim ng isang puno ng mangga at kumakain ng inihandang meryenda ng mga trabahador. Naiwan na lamang silang tatlo doon ngayon.

"You're lucky to have grown up in such a place, Clara. This is paradise," kumento ni Winnie habang kumakain ng hinog na mangga. "And the people are really very welcoming."

"They are," tipid na sagot ni Clara. "But you're also lucky to have grown up in the States. Anyone would kill to live there. So why are you giving it up?"

Winnie just shrugged. "My family just... isn't there anymore. It doesn't feel like home that much."

"Oh." Clara didn't know what to say next. Should she console her cousin?

Pero mabuti na lamang at sumingit si Alejandro. "Ladies, sun is setting in about an hour. Kailangan ko na kayong iuwi. We can pack up once you're done eating."

"Thanks a lot, Alejandro," malambing na pasasalamat nito. "You've been very helpful and welcoming since I arrived. I hope you can join us for dinner tonight."

"Sure," sagot ng binata.

Clara just eyed her cousin annoyingly once again. She's definitely flirting with him. And he's welcoming it.

Mas lalo siyang nagagalit ngayon sa binata. Matapos siyang tawagin nitong makasarili kanina, hindi niya yata kayang patawarin ito.

"Well, I'm done eating. I'll start cleaning up," Winnie said.

"No need. Aayusin na yan nina Mang Selmo. Just leave it there," payo ni Alejandro before he walked back to his truck.

"He's really handsome, you know," kumento ni Winnie ng makalayo na ang binata.

"He is," she automatically affirmed. Pero muntik na niyang masabunutan ang sarili. Has she gone mad for agreeing that the enemy is handsome? She must be insane.

"Does he have a girlfriend?"

Winnie's question shocked her. "W-why? Are you interested?"

"I might be... if he's single. You're not his girlfriend, aren't you?" pagsisigurado nito.

But Clara was extra pissed with Alejandro now so she decided to tell her cousing something. Well, she isn't exactly lying so she went on. "I'm not but... he proposed to me a year back. He was supposed to me my fiance... but I had other plans."

"H-he proposed to you and you said no? Wow, that's one heck of a story I'd like to hear."

"It is," sagot niya. Clara just wanted to make it clear na siya ang gusto ni Alejandro. That might be a year ago but still. It matters that she knows.

"But now? Are you still... seeing each other? Do you still have feelings for him?"

Doon natigilan si Clara. "N-none. I never had feelings for him anyway."

"So you never were a couple?"

"No!" she quickly denied.

"Then why did he propose when you never liked him?"

"I never did... like him."

"Then, is it okay if I show him that I'm interested?" tanong ni Winnie.

That question shocked her. Ganito na ba talaga ang mga kabataan ngayon na lumaki ng Amerika. They're too straight forward. "Winnie, he's older than you."

"So what? He seems like a gentleman."

"I'm not saying he isn't but he's still older than you."

"I don't know. I think age really doesn't matter if you like someone, right?" Winnie asked her pointedly. "And so far, he's only ever been kind and helpful. And the way the people here treated him with respect, he seems to be such a good person and a good leader. I admire that about him."

She saw how Winnie's eyes reflected what she was saying. Winnie must really like Alejandro.

This isn't funny anymore. She has to make sure she still has a hold on everything that is hers.

*****

Dinner ended late sa dami ng dinaldal ni Winnie tungkol sa hacienda. She seemed very happy na nakaikot siya at kahit papaano ay nakakilala ng mga bagong tao at kaibigan na makakapagpalimot sa kanya ng mga naganap sa Amerika at sa mga magulang niya.

Winnie seemed perfectly content, lalo na ng tabihan siya ni Alejandro sa hapag.

And their parents looked so excited to see na nagkakamabutihan ang dalawa. It was so clear in Clara's eyes.

Her father Anselmo has always wanted Alejandro to be part of the family. At mukhang masaya rin ito kung ang pamangkin nito ang makakatuluyan ni Alejandro.

That pissed her off.

So she wrote a little message in her napkin and discreetly dropped it on Alejandro's lap ng maglakad siya pataas matapos magdahilan na pagod na.

She went up her room and casually waited. 'See you up in my room in ten minutes. Magpaalam ka na sa kanila and go up discreetly,' her napkin said.

True enough, in just a few minutes, someone was quietly knocking on her door.

She quickly opened it at hinila ang binata sa loob.

"What do you wanna talk about?" he coldly asked.

"I... I just want to let you know that I'm sorry about what I said a while ago. I'm sorry for insinuating that you like Winnie and for ruining your day," mahinahong wika niya. She tried her best to sound apologetic and sincere.

"Anong nakain mo? Where's the brat that I know?"

She reached for his hands and held both of it. "I'm just saying sorry. That's it. I'm staying here for the next two weeks at ayokong magkaaway tayo habang nandito ako." She tried her best to look sweet and sincere, even as far as trying to do puppy dog eyes like how Winnie does it.

"What do you think about the tour today? Did you like it? Did you like the whole place? You didn't say much over dinner."

"Because Winnie was doing all the talking," patuloy niya habang nakahawak pa rin sa mga kamay nito. He has nice hands. "But I liked it. Actually, gusto kong matuto kung paano magtanim ng kape. You told me you grow your own beans, right? I wanna learn how, too."

"I can bring you to Hacienda Deogracias to show you my plantation. May mga bago akong seedlings na itatransfer na for planting bukas."

"Sige!" masayang tugon niya. "What time are you going here? Pwede mo ba akong sunduin?"

"Yes, I can. Is nine in the morning okay?"

"Yes! Sige," sagot niya.

"Anyway, it's getting late. Nagpaalam na rin ako sa baba. I think I should go bago pa nila malaman na nandito ako sa kwarto mo ngayon." He was about to pull his hand away.

But Clara was quick to hold onto it. "Thanks again for today."

"Sure."

"Can I ask for another favor?"

"What?" Alejandro asked.

"Can you put some distance between you and Winnie?"

"Bakit?" gulong-gulong tanong niya.

She just shrugged. "My father thinks you like her and that she likes you. I think he's hoping to see a wedding soon because he wants you to be part of the family in any way possible."

Natawa lamang si Alejandro sa sinabi niyang iyon. "If you don't hate me , Clara, I would think you're jealous right now. But I only want to help. I like helping people. And I'll keep on doing that if I can. Now, sleep because it's late. Good night!"

And he kissed her on the forehead before stepping out of her room.

She didn't know why but her heart skipped a bit after what he did.

But she quickly brushed it off. Baka pagod lang siya noong araw na iyon.

A/N:

Happy Wednesday humpday, mga siz! Here's a surprise new chapter update para sa inyong lahat.

So ano tingin nyo? Si Clara pa rin ba gusto ni Alejandro????