Chapter 16

Clara was obviously not thinking this through. She stared at her one-bedroom condominium unit and her queen bed. Saan niya papatulugin ngayon si Alejandro?

"I can take the couch outside," he volunteered at lumabas na muli ng kwarto and into her small living area.

The space is small but it is quaint and clean. It has a modern kitchen area and appliances. Matagal na siyang nakatira dito. Mula pa noong magsimula siya ng unibersidad dito sa Maynila. She lives in the most expensive building in the area.

"I'm sorry. Obviously, hindi ko pinag-isipan 'to. I just thought it would be nice to let you stay here in Manila with me for a while so you'll understand why I love it here."

Tumango-tango si Alejandro. "You don't have to explain, Clara." His suitcase was still unpacked beside her main door entrance. Clearly, there was no place to unpack it in. Kaya umupo na lang siya sa couch sa sala.

"Okay, are you sure you'll be fine here?"

Alejandro nodded. "Yes. I'm sure." It was already past twelve in the evening and they met up in her condo building lobby.

"Tomorrow, I'm planning to tour you around. I have this favorite brunch spot. Pwede tayong doon magbreakfast bukas. Then, we can go on a museum tour, have steak for lunch and go cafe hopping in the afternoon."

"Sounds nice," tipid na sagot nito, just staring at her now.

She hasn't changed from her little, black dress. "Anyway, I better sleep. I'm a bit tired."

"How was your dinner date?" seryosong tanong nito bago pa siya makatalikod at makapasok ng kwarto.

"I had fun. It was dinner date with my girlfriends. I haven't seen them since graduation dahil na-busy ako sa hacienda."

Biglang nagliwanag ang mukha nito ng marinig na kaibigan niya pala ang kasama. 

"Mom called me a while ago and said you were here in Manila to look for me. Nasabi rin niya na maayos na ang kalagayan ni Winnie."

"Yes, so here I am."

"But me inviting you here doesn't necessarily mean na babalik ako sa hacienda kasama ka. You're here to understand why I love the city."

Tumango-tango na lamang si Alejandro. "By all means."

"Alright, good night then."

"Good night, sweetheart. I'll see you tomorrow."

****

It was a cafe by a bike park. Kitang-kita mula sa view roon ang nagtatayugang mga puno. It was just past 8am kaya hindi pa masyadong tirik na tirik ang araw. Napakaraming mga nagjo-jog at mga batang naglalaro sa paligid ng park. Naroon din ang ilang mga bikers na umiikot sa oval sa loob ng parke.

The view made this particular morning even more quaint and peaceful.

"I get why you love this cafe," biglang kumento ni Alejandro. They were sitting beside the glass wall na nakaharap sa parke. 

She was sipping her favorite latte while Alejandro ordered lemon and ginger tea. Hindi pa lamang naii-serve ang kanilang main courses.

"It's so peaceful. I wonder how they can create such spaces in such a busy business district." He took a sip from his tea and smiled directly at her. "This place is particularly nice."

"It is, right? Kaya dito ko pinabili ng condo sina Papa. I love this part of the city. It's just the right blend of city lights and country vibes." 

Tumango naman si Alejandro doon. "I have a townhouse nearby, just so you know."

Nagulat siya sa biglang anunsyo nito. "Oh, wow."

"I just couldn't say No to your offer of staying in your place. It seemed like minsan ka lang maging hospitable so I grabbed it." He smirked, clearly reading the shock in her eyes. 

"Well, we're going to be neighbors then?"

"No, it's just an investment. Hindi ko pa natitirahan iyon. I just bought it years back just because I'm assuming the value will appreciate soon. And in fact, it did."

"Ayaw mo talaga mag-stay dito?" she asked.

"Only if there's enough reason to."

Those words caught her by surprise. Her heart skipped a beat knowing that there's a small chance na makukumbinsi niya ang binata na dito na rin manirahan imbes na sa hacienda nila.

"But I think no one is  as important as my family's legacy to me. A lot of people have branded me to be a big workaholic," he proclaimed. "I guess I am."

That quickly killed her thoughts of pushing him to stay. It kinda stung... a bit? May a bit more than what was necessary. But she brushed off the pain as quickly as it appeared. So pinili na lang niyang ibahin ang usapan. "So why is it so important to bring me home now? Inutusan ka ba nina Papa?"

"No, I just wanted to check on you kung nakipag tanan ka na ba sa walang kwenta mong nobyo," he said. Nandoon ang irita sa boses nito ng maisip si Tyler.

"We haven't talked for the longest time since the... accident. I guess it's better that way. I'm really sorry for what happened to Winnie. I never intended it to be that way." Kung narito ang binata para sisisihin siya in behalf of Winnie, baka mawalan siya ng gana. "So is that why you're here? For Winnie? Para masigurong hindi ako tatakbo in case sampahan niya ako ng kaso once she's recovered?"

"You have no hand in any of it. It was Tyler's carelessness. I know for sure na hindi mo kagustuhan ang nangyari, Clara."

Tumango-tango lamang siya, because she knows for a fact na bali-baliktarin mo man ang mundo, she chose to order Tyler to do something to her cousin.

The waiter came to serve their food. Alejandro was obviously pleased.

"You know, I'm starting to think about new business opportunities here," biglang wika ni Alejandro habang nakatitig sa pagkain sa harapan nya ngayon. The waiter left after serving their dishes.

She looked up at him and asked. "Like what?"

"I can serve and supply farm-to-table cafes like this."

That kind of sparked her interest. "That's not such a bad idea. Napakaraming cafes and restaurants dito sa syudad na ganito ang concept. People are starting to rethink their food choices now. Lalo na ang daming processed meat dito sa Maynila. A lot of people are getting sick and obese so mas rampant ang health campaigns dito lalo na sa food industry. And rich people are willing to pay."

He smiled. "You seem to know the market."

"Because I am the market," she confirmed and smiled. "I'm into health and wellness. I do my daily yoga routine but also maintain my figure and health with my diet."

"I know you have a nice figure but I didn't know you were this passionate about health and welness."

She blushed at his comment, but decided to brush it off by starting to eat. 

"I have a proposal."

"What is it?" she asked in between bites.

"What if there's a way to go back and forth? To still live here but also be in the hacienda?" he asked.

That confused her. 

******

A/N: It has been a busy month for me. Pero syempre, hindi pwedeng hindi mag-update dahil favorite couple ko ngayon sina Clara at Alejandro. Kamusta naman kaya yung dinner nila? Ano kaya ang suggestion ni Alejandro para kay Clara? Comment below. 

Pwede rin kayo magkwento kamusta ang Valentine's ninyo. <3