Epilogue

Clara was walking down the hospital hallway leading to Winnie's room. Hawak-hawak niya ngayon ang isang bouquet ng bulaklak. She never knew this day would come, that she would actually be excited to see her cousin.

It was a quaint private room sa nag-iisang pribadong ospital na iyon sa probinsya nila. But the amenities were all top-grade. She knocked and, then, slowly turned the knob.

Naglakad siya papasok at nakita roon ang isang nurse na kinukuhanan ng vitals si Winnie. Her cousin was slouched over a pocketbook, probably whiling away the time. 

"Clara!" masayang bati ng pinsan niya ng makita siya. "Clara, you're here!"

"H-hi!" She didn't expect that much enthusiasm from her cousin, especially since she was kind of a bitch towards her the past weeks. 

"I knew you'd come home," she said excitedly.

Clara walked towards Winnie and gave her a long, reassuring hug. "You look like nothing happened." She felt her cousin hug her back.

Then, she slowly let go and smiled while Winnie just laughed. "I know, right? Feels like nothing happened." 

"How are you?"

"Today was better. I feel better everyday, really. You have nothing to worry about. I heard Tyler left immediately after what happened to me. Don't worry. It wasn't his fault. I pushed my horse on the edge, more than what I could handle. It was my fault," pagdidiin nito sa sarili.  

Clara missed her bubbliness. This was why she hated her cousin. She was always so bubbly and charming, the complete opposite of her. This was why everyone was so easily drawn to her and why she was so lovable. She deserved to feel threatened.

"By the way, I heard," makahulugang wika ni Winnie. "I am happy for the both of you."

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"You and Alejandro. I heard from your mom. You guys are getting married."

She opened her mouth to speak but nothing came out. Saan naman nanggaling ang balitang iyon? They just flew in from Manila yesterday at hindi naman nagpro-propose pa ang binata. "Well, that was way beyond the truth. But yes, Alejandro and I are together now."

"I knew it. I felt it, Clara. I knew. I mean, I like him, yes. Honestly, I do until now. But I've always known he liked you. His eyes would always follow you," she commented. "And soon, I know he's going to propose. He's done it before. I don't think it's gonna take long before he kneels on one knee again."

"Well, technically, he didn't kneel the first time," she corrected her cousin.

Winnie just laughed. "Where is the lucky man?"

"He's coming. We came here together. I just left him to look for a parking slot."

"Oh, okay. I am truly happy for you, Clara. I have nothing but gratefulness for you and your family. Thank you for welcoming me here. I appreciate it, really," makahulugang wika ni Winnie sa kanya. "It has been just a few weeks since the tragedy in my own family happened. But you all welcomed me with open arms. I guess I was still adjusting with the... loss. That was why I really wasn't taking care of myself, hence the accident. So that event was actually life changing. I realized... a lot of people still cared. Like you. So thank you so much."

It never dawned on her na may sariling pinagdadaanan sa buhay si Winnie. It was true. She just lost her parents. And she needed comfort and a new family. Lihim niyang pinagalitan ang sarili sa lahat ng kasakiman at kasamaang inasal niya noon sa pinsan. 

"You're family, Winnie. You're one of us now." And Clara moved closer to hug her cousin again.

Doon sila nadatnan ni Alejandro. He came in, looking so dashing as ever.

"The lucky man!" masayang-masayang bati ni Winnie sa binata. "I heard. Congratulations. You both deserve each other."

"Hello to you as well, Winnie," bati ng binata. "How are you feeling?"

"Extremely well," masayang sagot nito. "When are you gonna propose to my cousin?"

"Winnie!" saway ni Clara sa kanya. 

Alejandro just smiled and shrugged. "That depends on her."

Clara tried to hide her blush. 

"Make it quick. I don't wanna wait for another year," biro ni Winnie. 

"I will. Don't worry. For now, it's good that you're okay. Get some rest. We brought you this." And Alejandro brought out a giftbox.

"Wow, what is this?" tanong ni Winnie. 

"More books for you to read," masayang sagot ni Clara. "We hope you'll like it."

"For sure," Winnie responded. "Thank you so much. I can rest now. And for me to enjoy these books, I think it's time for you both to scurry off. I need some peace and alone time now. You, too, Nurse Nina."

The nurse stopped whatever she was doing, smiled and left the room.

"It was nice seeing you both," Winnie said sincerely.

"We'll visit again soon." Iyon lamang at hinila na ni Alejandro si Clara palabas ng hospital room na iyon. They went out of the room holding hands.

"Where to next, my love?" he whispered to her ear.

Clara smiled and looked at him. "Home... our haciendas."

Alejandro smiled. "And here, I thought your home was in the city."

"My home is wherever you are. And if you're staying, then, I'll be here. I might just go to the city every now and then para simulan ang bago nating negosyo."

"We can discuss it over dinner. Tara. I'm starving... for you!"

Clara giggled like a little girl and pulled Alejandro para magmadali ito sa paglalakad. She's never been this happy in her little hometown.

"I love you," she whispered.

He smiled and whispered back. "I love you more, sweetheart."

Perhaps, staying is truly a good decision. Her best decision yet!

*****

A/N: Hello, mga siz. Maraming salamat sa paghihintay ng ilang taon (truly! ahahahahaa) para matapos ko ang kwentong ito. It took me 4 years at pakiramdam ko ay kasabay kong nag bago at nag-grow ang bida sa kwentong ito. 

Love stories like these have been my avenue to share the kind of love I want in my life and the kind of love I want my friends to have. I hope I continue to inspire you to look for the love you deserve and keep the love that you find. 

Thank you so so so much sa walang sawang pagsuporta. Mahal na mahal ko kayong lahat. Hit VOTE and FOLLOW me dahil sa totoo lang, I am back for good. Hoping to produce and finish more storiesssss.