Chapter 12

"Magandang umaga, Tito, Tita," a baritone voice greeted Clara's parents from the entrance of the dining hall.

Lahat ay napalingon sa boses na iyon. It was just five thirty pero naroon na si Alejandro, looking  so polished in his white shirt and jeans combo. Saglit na natigilan si Clara para hangaan ang binata. Naka-casual lang ito pero bakit may dating pa rin?

"Good morning, hijo. What brings you here so early?" masayang bati at tanong ng ama ni Clara. "Come and eat breakfast with us."

"It's fine, tito. I'm here to fetch Clara for a beach tour. Clara?" untag nito at tinitigan siya.

"Oh, yeah," she said and wiped her lips with her napkin. Mabilis siyang tumayo at nilingon si Winnie just to check if mag-aattempt na naman ba itong sumama.

"I wish you could also give me a tour next," her cousin commented.

Clara quickly looked at Tyler for help. Pinanlakihan niya ito ng mata habang kumakain ito ng tocino. Tyler seemed to have understood what she meant dahil sumingit na ito sa usapan.

"Why not just go to the beach with me later?" tanong ni Tyler kay Winnie. "I can ask the workers around kung saang area nito ang beach. Right, Tito?"

Tumango-tango si Anselmo. "Manong Jose can help. Magpadala kayong kabayo kung kinakailangan."

"Oh, wow. Sure, tito. Those will look great in photos," masayang wika ni Tyler.

Winnie seemed to have no choice but to smile and agree.

That made Clara breathe normally again. She turned to Alejandro and beamed. "Let's go?"

"Enjoy," pahabol na wika ng ina niya.

They walked out of the dining hall and to the front of their villa kung saan naka-park ang pick up truck ng binata.

Alejandro opened his passenger seat for her to climb in but before Clara hopped in the car, she gave him a peck in the cheek and it seemed to have shocked him.

"Thanks for picking me up so early," she said and climbed in the passenger seat. It was just a peck in the cheek but it made her feel... things. She saw how his eyes turned darker at what she's done. But she shrugged it off and defended herself by justifying what she's done with gratefulness. At least now, Winnie knows Alejandro's attention is on her again.

She clearly has to wait for Tyler to do something para masiguro rin na alam ng mga magulang niya na siya lamang ang nag-iisang anak nila and Winnie doesn't deserve to stay here in their villa and their hacienda. If they want to help Winnie, they can just send her back to the US and give her a monthly allowance.

"Winnie seems disappointed," panimulang wika ni Alejandro pagka-start nito ng sasakyan. They were now exiting the villa to the hacienda's main road.

"Well, she surely likes you," iritang sagot niya. Why start their trip with her as topic? Nakakainis!

"When did she become close to your boyfriend?"

"First of all, hindi ko siya boyfriend. Second, bakit parang interesado ka? Are you jealous?" inis na tanong ni Clara habang tumatakbo na sila sa kahabaan ng niyugan ng Hacienda Deogracias.

"I'm just protective of her. She's new here and Tyler doesn't scream responsible to me. He seems like lost, little boy for me."

"Well, he is new here and he needs my help. May pinagsamahan rin naman kami sa Maynila because we used to date so tutulungan ko siya for now. His parents disowned him so nawala ang condo at allowance niya."

Tinitigan siya ng matagal ni Alejandro. "You dated a grown man dependent on his parents. Odd."

"What? His parents are rich and from the city? Kilala ang pamilya nila sa Maynila."