Chapter 19

"Ugh, where the heck are you?" Clara whispered to herself. She bought a ticket home para lamang makapasok at makalampas ng gates sa NAIA.

She was now at Gate 114 pero hindi pa rin niya nakikita ang binata. The flight back home to their province was leaving at around 930PM sa mismong gate na ito. But why was Alejandro nowhere to be found?

Hindi rin ito sumasagot sa tawag at text niya kanina pa. She tried calling him again this time to no avail. The subscriber cannot be reached.

Nagpalinga-linga pa siya. Napakaraming tao doon ngayon kung kaya't napakahirap ding hanapin ang binata.

So this means she has to board the flight. If she can't find him here, susunod siya dito. Saktong boarding na at mahaba ang pila pasakay sa eroplano. So she lined up to board. It took about three minutes at nakapasok na rin siya sa loob ng eroplano.

She wasn't prepared for this. She had no idea she was gonna fly home tonight. Wala siyang dalang kahit ano kundi wallet, susi at phone. Her car was also left in the airport parking.

"Great," she muttered to herself and sat at seat 27A, beside the window.

She looked around, still trying to see if Alejandro was in the same flight. Pero halos papuno na ang eroplano ay wala pa rin ito at hindi pa rin sumasagot sa mga texts niya. So she gave up and decided to sit comfortably.

She messaged her mom na magpapasundo siya sa airport dahil uuwi siya ngayong gabi. Her flight was set to arrive at 10:30PM.

"Clara?" gulat na gulat na wika ng lalaking katabi niya sa 27B.

She looked up at the familiar voice. "Alejandro!"

"Clara, what are you doing here?" he asked, looking so confused now that she was right in front of him. Inayos nito ang bag at inilagay sa overhead cabin at pagkatapos ay umupo na sa tabi niya.

"Listen, I know you're mad but hear me out. I'm sorry. I'm sorry for the things I said over lunch. I admit I was wrong. I was terribly wrong. I should have listened to you first kaysa magsuspetsa at paghinalaan kayo ni Winnie. I know. I know you love me. I know it now. I was just too blind to see it but I understand you now, Alejandro."

Her litany was met by a confused man. "So you went here to declare... that I have feelings for you?"

"Yes."

He smiled.

"What's so funny?"

"Classic self-centered Clara," he said amusingly. "And here I thought you were gonna declare your feelings for me."

"Oh, sorry. Yes! Yes. Here goes. I know you love me and you've already fallen in love with me. But I just want to let you know that... I've fallen in love with you, too. I know it took a while for me to get here. A whole year in particular and a failed proposal. I'm really sorry, Alejandro. But I promise I'll make it up to you. I'll try... I'll try to be less of a spoiled brat and more empathic about other people's feelings. I'll try to... learn how to share, but not you. I don't wanna share you with anyone."

He laughed a genuine laugh.

"Why are you laughing? Am I funny? Do I look funny to you?" iritang-iritang tanong niya. Pinagtitinginan sila bigla ng mga katabi nila so she tried to lower her voice. "What's so funny?"

"You. I love you, Clara. You just don't know how much. I've loved you a long time ever since we were growing up. I don't care if you're a spoiled brat. I don't care if you don't change. I actually love you for who you are... You have that unique flair that is only you. You're weirdly self-centered but also... caring if needed. You can be shallow... but you're also very smart. I don't know exactly what drew me to you but I'm pretty sure about one thing - I've been in love with you for as long as I can remember which is why I proposed to you. And I followed you here hoping I can bring you back home because I can't bear the thought of not seeing you again for years."

She couldn't take it anymore. His declaration was so much sweeter than she expected. She never expected him to love her. She never expected any of this. So with the joy in her heart, she pressed a light kiss on his lips to stop his declarations and seal it with finality. "I love you, too," she whispered back.

He grabbed her in a tight embrace and held her in place. "This is all that I need. You are all that I need, Clara. I don't know why you even thought I'd like someone else."

And then, she remembered Winnie, her cousin. "Which reminds me I have to talk to Winnie and apologize."

"You sure do." He slowly let her go so they could sit properly this time. The flight attendant was already motioning for take off. "So are you seriously coming back home tonight?"

"I actually had no idea I was gonna board a flight tonight? I just bought the earliest flight I could find to track you. But I guess, I'm going home tonight now... for good."

"For good? Are you sure about that?"

She nodded and smiled. "I've never been more sure about a decision."

"Well, that's good because I have a business proposal."

"What business proposal?"

"Remember when you talked about supplying in farm-to-table cafes here in Manila?"

She nodded, remembering their brunch in a nice cafe this morning.

"I plan on building a system to supply here. Fresh vegetables and beans from our farms straight to restaurants and cafes here in Metro Manila. And I need help from someone who knows that market and someone who can fly frequently to the city. Someone who loves the city in particular."

"Oh, my God! Are you serious?" she excitedly asked.

He nodded. "I don't ever want to push you to do something you don't want to do or to stay in the hacienda long-term, knowing that you want to do something else. I want you to enjoy life and still be able to visit places you want. I want you to stay as you are and love what you love. I don't wanna change you or force you. I want you to go home to Hacienda Castro because you want to go home, and not because I forced you to, sweetheart."

She nodded and smiled back at him. What did she do in this lifetime to deserve him? "Why was I so blind all these years?" she whispered to him and leaned her head on his shoulders to prepare for take off.

"I love you, Clara."

"I love you, too, Alejandro. From now on, no more bickering."

"No more fighting, yes."

She kissed him one more time before the plane's engine roared for take off.

*****

A/N: Beautiful love stories are always a delight for me to make. As for me, I have already found the love of my life. I hope you also find yours. And for those who've found theirs, I hope you all keep the love you deserve!

Cheers to another successful love story. Wait for the Epilogue. 😄