Chapter 11

Clara just sat on her bed, staring at nothing after that dinner at Villa Deogracias. Something has clearly changed but she couldn't put a pin on it.

She just felt happy seeing her Tita Mercedes and realizing how successful Alejandro really is. He's grown their hacienda in such a short period of time, all because of his loyalty and devotion to his family's legacy since his father died.

He's admirable. Very admirable.

Bigla niyang nasampal ang sarili. "No, no, no, what's happening to me?" she blurted out in fear. Why is she admiring him? Why is she admiring his life and this place?

Pinaalala niya sa sarili ang trabaho at buhay na naghihintay sa kanya sa Maynila.

Just then, three knocks were heard outside her bedroom door. She stood up at sinilip kung sino ang nasa kabila noon.

"Tyler," walang kabuhay-buhay na wika niya.

"Clara," nakangiting bati nito. "I was thinking. Maybe we could go out tomorrow morning and you can give me a tour of your place?"

Gulong-gulong tinitigan niya ito. "I'm sorry but I can't. Why are you here anyway? Can't you just go back to Manila? I'll be back there in a few weeks."

"I told you. I have no place else to stay. And you're my only friend."

"You haven't been replying the last couple of days, Tyler."

"Well, I had some issues with my parents. They decided to cut me off right after graduation dahil ayokong mag-manage ng family business namin. Now, they've dis-owned me and I have no place to stay."

That sounded very relatable to her. Good thing hindi naman siya itinatakwil ng mga magulang niya. "So you're crashing here? At my family home?"

Tyler just sighed.

He really is a big baby. She can clearly see it now. Ano bang pumasok sa isip niya at nagustuhan niya ang ganitong klaseng lalaki noon? He's clearly a rich kid who cannot stand on his own two feet. Nakakahiya tuloy sa mga magulang niya na ganitong lalaki ang dine-date niya sa Maynila.

"Alright, fine. Stay here as my guest. Pero aalis ako in about two weeks. So you also have to leave and find a place to stay by then. I can only help you until then."

"Okay, thank you so much!"

And a naughty thought entered her head. "In one condition!"

"What condition?"

She pondered kung tama ba ang gagawin niya o hindi. But she figured na wala namang mawawala. So she proceeded anyway. "As payment for free lodging in the next few weeks, I want you to do something for me."

"What is it?"

It's like hitting two birds with one stone! "You have to push Winnie out of this house."

"Who's Winnie?"

"My cousin. I'll introduce you to her tomorrow."

"Oh, the pretty girl? Yes, I saw her earlier. So you hate her?"

Tumango-tango siya. "I don't exactly hate her but I don't like her so if you can help me get her back to the US and leave this place, my home, for good. I don't want her anywhere near my parents..." or Alejandro! But she kept that thought to herself.

"So how do I drive her away?"

"I don't know. Think for yourself. I'll give you free lodging until you find a place if you can help me get rid of her for good."

Tyler looked deep in thought but he shrugged after a few seconds. "Consider it done."

She smiled widely. "Deal. Good night then," she said and closed her bedroom door.

*****

"Good morning," masayang-masayang bati ni Clara nang madatnan sa hapag ang mga magulang, si Winnie at Tyler na nag-aagahan. It was just five-thirty AM pero dahil probinsya ito, normal lang na magising ng maaga ang mga tao at kasambahay.

"Good morning, hija," her mother beamed at her. "Your favorite tocino is served. Inangkat pa namin yan galing sa Pampanga."

"Thanks, Ma." She sat beside her mom and across Winnie, na ngayon ay katabi si Tyler. "Tyler, good morning."

"Hey, good morning," ganting bati naman nito at tinitigan siya ng makahulugan.

"Pa, Ma, Tyler is my guest and he will be staying with us here until I'm here in the hacienda," anunsyo niya sa mga ito.

Ikinagulat iyon ng kanyang ama pero hindi na kinwestyon pa.

"You're welcome here, hijo. Any friend of Clara is always a welcomed guest here," deklara ng ama niya.

"Tyler mentioned that he loves taking photos," Winnie interjected.

Clara smiled. Obviously, Tyler is already starting to do his work.

Winnie continued, "We plan on going around later to take nice photos."

"That would be fun!" she said and looked at Tyler. "I'm sure you both will enjoy. Tyler is good company."

"Ikaw? Anong plano mo ngayong araw, hija?" tanong ng Papa niya. "May programa kaming gustong simulan sa bayan sa sunod na linggo. Feeding program para sa mga bata sa orphanage sa bayan. Gusto ko sanang magdala ng mga gulay at prutas doon. Mag-aani kami ngayong araw."

"I just need to do yoga this morning and then hit the beach. Pwede akong tumulong sa pag-aayos ng programa mamayang hapon, Pa? I can also bring Alejandro to help," saad niya habang kumukuha ng tocino.

And Clara saw how Winnie's eyes lit up at the mention of his name. That annoyed her so much.

"Alejandro's gonna be here today?" masayang tanong ni Winnie.

"Well yeah," she answered. "He asked me out on date by the beach today." She sugarcoated their beach day out. The reality is niyaya lang naman siya nitong tingnan ang beach. It was just a casual invite but she wanted Winnie to think it was a date so she said it was.

"A date?" gulatang na tanong ng Papa niya.

"Well... what's wrong? I'm single. He's single," she answered.

"Wala naman, hija. I'm just glad you're slowly opening up to the idea of marrying him," masayang wika ng Papa niya.

Clara would normally be annoyed at such conversations dahil alam niyang paraan ito ng Papa niya para patigilin na siya dito sa hacienda. Marrying a man in this area means she will have to stay here for good and her Papa looks forward to making it happen.

But now, it didn't seem so bad at all. Lalo na narinig ito ni Winnie. Perhaps now it's clear na siya ang nararapat para kay Alejandro.

Except that she slapped herself internally at the thought. No, she's only doing this to spite Winnie and get her out of this place. This hacienda is supposed to be hers. Alejandro's attention is only hers. It just pisses her out that she has to share them with Winnie now.

She convinced herself that once Winnie leaves this place, she can also go back to her normal life.

"I'll see him after breakfast," she declared and looked at Winnie's direction who remained glued to her breakfast plate, pretending to not hear anything.

*****

A/N: How is everyone? It's been a good weekend for me. So here I am! Back in time for a new upload. I'm so sorry for going MIA yet again as I have been busy with some businesses I'm putting up this year. But thank you so muuuuch for the constant support.

I will try my best to have MORE uploads this 2024! 💖