Chapter 7

Chapter 7: Elaina's POV

I started my walk home, my eyes wide in disbelief. Werewolves are real. My mind couldn't seem to wrap around that fact very well. I stumble and look around, expecting the big bad wolf to automatically know that I know about werewolves and come and eat me.

Thinking about that, I hear a twig snap near a bush close to me and I start to sprint.

I finally see my house and I jerk open the door, run as fast as possible into the house and up the stairs, to fling open my own door. My bag goes flying somewhere and I burry myself under my covers. My head burrows itself into my pillow. In a moment of insanity, I scream for about five minutes-dragging the moment out.

No one hears me because of the pillow, thankfully. I then realize that nobody but me may be home.

Oh, crap! Did I lock the door? What if I didn't? Can wolves open doors-wait! Werewolves can change to humans! I gasp as a thought hits me. THEY CAN OPEN THE FRONT DOOR!

I bolt upright in bed, staring at my door. I strain to hear anything coming from behind it, hearing nothing. My feet slip off the side and I carefully stand on my tippy toes. Tip-toeing to the door, I crack it open. I keep up with my silent walk to the stairs.

I start my trip down, wincing at the slight creak of the seventh step. I finally get all the way down and I run across the open space of a doorway, scared to see some type of monster lurking in the dark there. I make it to the door to see that, thankfully, the door was locked. I don't remember locking it but maybe I did.

I turn back to go upstairs and feel as if the stairs just got farther away. I run up the steps as fast as I can, thinking that a beast would jump out and pull me back down. This whole situation has me jumpy and scared.

I shake my head, falling back onto my bed. I try and get rid of all thoughts the past week and decide on trying to get ahead in my sleep- if possible.

______________________ Next Morning

I wake up alone, meaning that Shane hadn't jumped into the bed with me while I was sleeping. I had a few wolf dreams, but they didn't turn into humans. I was just glad that they weren't nightmares.

I got ready in some skinny jeans and a t-shirt, throwing a hoodie on over top.

I was in my third period, half the day pretty much over, when it happened. This was one of two classes that I didn't have Rane in. He actually wasn't here today anyway.

The students were just sitting there, having a free day in class. I was texting Layla because, unfortunately, we didn't have this class together.

I raise my hand, suddenly feeling the need to pee. After getting a pass, I walk out. I go into the girl's locker room that they use for gym because they have the closest bathroom.

I'm just about finished when the school calls for an indoor lockdown. I know that I can't get back to the classroom before the doors close, so I turn back to the bathroom. I've heard what they say to do in these emergencies, so I go into a stall and stand on one of the toilet seats. My heart starts to beat a little faster. The bathroom stalls aren't much protection against a gun.

I didn't expect for anyone to come in here to check the bathrooms, yet I hear multiple footsteps stop right outside the door. I hear the creak the old door gave alongside a person whispering, "in here." The voice is high and girly.

The footsteps all pad along inside. At first, I think that they are seeking refuge inside the stalls like I did until I hear what they start saying.

"The plan has began. We will start the next step when the monitor outside leaves." I hear a snicker right after whoever is talking finishes.

"Yeah, we will finally be rid of Elaina Harper..." Their voices get lower, and I almost curse aloud. I strain to hear what they are saying, but they are whispering too low for me to hear. I look through the slit in the door. There are four girls all standing in a circle. A brunette seems to be the head of it. A blond, a red head, and another brunette stand in the circle with her. They all have their heads near each other. There clothes scream 'sluts!' and their attitudes scream 'bitches!'. Altogether they look like the girls that I would stay away from. I only get bits and pieces of what they are saying.

"Mate... I will be... She has no right... Rane... He's mine..." Some of the sentences are more spoken in growls and I can't understand what they are saying. They talk for a couple seconds when I hear something that I dread.

"Do you smell that?" Oh, shit! What if they're werewolves? I shake my head to get rid of the thoughts. Just because I saw people turn into wolves that one time, doesn't make everyone a werewolf too.

A low growl erupts from the leader and she looks around the room, her long curls swinging from the action. "It's her." I realize they are talking about me, and if they can smell me, they are most likely werewolves. Crap, just my luck... "Find her, and bring her to me."

When they start to disperse in looking for me, my heart starts to beat abnormally fast. The red head gets close to my hiding place when the blond saves the day-at least for me.

"Guys, we need to start or Alpha will be mad." The other girls glower at her but nod in agreement. The smallest one, with the short brown hair a shade darker than the leader's, squealed.

"Yay, lets lock her in here and burn the fucking place up!" Hot damn! The girl looks so sweet, yet she seems to be the most violent. They all have mischievous and deadly smiles upon their face at the prospect of me burning. I shiver.

My body starts to shake when I see them all leave. I'm tempted to try and run but I knew that they would catch me and I would be given an even worse death. I didn't want to die because of these damn bitches anyway. I almost giggle at the coincidence. Bitches are actually female dogs and I just called female werewolves bitches. All in all, they were technically bitches.

I hear the click of the lock and all is quiet. I slip out of the stall and run to the door. I jiggle it yet it doesn't open. These girls want to actually burn me. I try and stay calm at the idea of burning to death. I obviously don't want to die all alone in here. I mean, I wanted a kid first!

I pace around and look everywhere for a door or something to get out of the locker room that is connected to the bathroom. The only door out is the one in the bathroom. Shit. I decide to go back and check the door in case they were only kidding and unlocked the door. Just before grabbing the door handle, I smell smoke. I automatically think of a fire.

My thoughts are confirmed when my hand touches the metal handle. I scream as the hot surface connects with my cold skin. 

The flames lick up the sides of the door, and I only have one thought.

I am stuck inside here with nowhere to go and I will die of this fire.