Chapter 22

Chapter 22

The last thing I saw was Rane, his outraged wolf sprinting towards me. I heard the scream of Layla just before I was hit in the head. I immediately fell to the ground, crying out.

My hands don't go to my head but my stomach, to protect it. The pain wasn't enough to damage me much or knock me out but to disorient me. I see black stars cloud my vision and I feel my body sway side to side.

I close my eyes and see pink sparkles dance like the flames in a fire, wisps of blue and red floating up in the air. Shadows slither around the edges, twirling and laughing in joy of my pain. The pain has its own beat, thump thump thumping in my head, a constant drum in my ears.

I crack my eyes open and see through narrowed eyes as more wolves pour out from the forest.  But this time they are against us. Rogues. They attack Rane and his pack. I hear a low evil laugh behind me just as the man lays a hand on my shoulder. I wince and flinch away from him, disgusted.

He leans close to me ear and with a rancid breath whispers, "Your mother is here. She came just for you," he hisses the last part. He points with a gnarled old finger, right at the light brown wolf in front of me. I gasp and scoot away from it.

I didn't know what Linda would do to me yet I still hissed, "She's not my mother." The wolf growls lowly at me and steps forward, her hair standing on end. Her fangs glitter in the moonlight. I cower a bit into the man behind me, him seeming less scary compared to her.

We seem to be in our own little bubble, everyone fighting yet here we sit, talking. I look at the fight again to see we are loosing. Rane's father had been right, they didn't have many to fight with from the last battle they had. We were loosing.

I whimper when I see Rane trapped by five or so rogues, all seemingly older and more experienced. He didn't cower and he looked like a strong fighter but against five? He didn't have much of a chance.

I feel my eyes water. What was I to do?

I'm only human...

Then I realized something else, I don't know who my parents are. Didn't know anything about my life at all, really. All I know is that I was just a girl in a family that wasn't her own... an imposter. I didn't know how I got here or why. All I know is that I wanted to find out.

And that meant living.

As human as I was, I still had a brain. I made my eyes roll in the back of my head, pretending to pass out. My body slumped too. I had my breathing even out and deepen.

So maybe that was a stupid plan, but what else could I do?

"Did she just faint?" I heard the guy ask. Linda huffs and growls. It's like I can see her shake her head, denying.

I silently curse and hope that they think I am out like a light. I don't even know where I'm going with this, just winging it and hoping for the best.

Then the evil guys says something that makes my eyes snap open.

"Kill him."

And I know who he was talking about. He was the one still standing, trapped by five or so rogues. I see his leg bleeding and I freeze.

"Oh god... no." I whisper, my voice faint.

Ignoring my protesting body, I stand up and try running to him. My leg aches in different places and my head swims. I stumble a bit but keep on going.

 "NO!!!" I scream out as I feel myself being jerked back by my arm. Tears pour down my face.

"No. NO NO NO NO NO! Please, God no!" I yell but it's no use.

 Mr. Evil chuckles and says, "Do it."

_______________________