Chapter 8

Chapter 8

My desperation to get out of here is almost touchable around me. I couldn't just die! I couldn't leave Shane to the crazy ass person we call mother. No way in hell!

I want to fall in love, get married, have kids, jump off a bridge or two, and be that soccer mom who bakes cookies and- I stop my ranting and try to concentrate on staying alive. I can't freak out now. It would definitely mean my death.

Okay. Concentrate.

I spin around and look at all of the lockers. It's getting hotter and hotter by the second and my skin feels like it's on fire already. Smoke rises in dark tendrils to the ceiling. I cough and stumble around the room.

The air seems to get thicker and I choke on it. The air is thick and my vision hazy. I can barely see five feet in front of me.

My knees finally give out and I start to crawl. My panting breaths are low and raspy. I can't get a breath in.

My eyelids droop and I fall right onto the floor. My face is pressed against the cold linoleum floor.

I hear a loud bang! come from behind me. I think it was the roof. I'm going to be buried underneath the rubble. No one will save me or dig my body up. I was too of a nobody to be cared for. I groan and attempt to push my arms up but they won't move. 

Just as my eyes are about to close forever, I see two booted feet in front of my face. Even though I barely feel it, two hands pick me up. I see the ground get farther and farther away. I can't hear anything. Everything is on mute, like I pressed the off button on my senses. There are black spots in my vision, weaving and spinning around the room.

My eyelids start to flutter closed. The last thing I see are two clear and beautiful blue eyes.

_________________________

I feel my eyelids crack open, my head protesting as light suddenly hits my tender pupils. I'm laying on my back, my head slightly propped up with two pillows. I hear a rhythmic beeping to the right of me.

When I look around, I notice that everything in here is white. I automatically know that I am in a hospital room. The room is sterile and smells of bleach. I try to remember why I'm here and then remember the girls, the fire, and someone picking me up. I remember seeing the two blue eyes just before everything went black. I already know who they belong to.  

Rane, the popular, handsome guy that every girl wants, went into a burning bathroom to save me. I suddenly feel the need to cry. 

Oh my god. I almost died.

I feel a tear start to roll down my cheek and try to move my hand to my face. I hit something that feels like metal and a loud, fast paced beeping sound fills the room along with the heart monitor. A nurse runs into the room soon after.

"Oh, good! You're awake!" her brown hair swings in its ponytail as she smiles down at me. I nod and try to speak but it comes out more as a croak. "Oh, right! Here, have some water." she says this as she hands me a cool glass full of water.

I drink as she holds the cup to my dry and chapped lips. When the water hits my tongue, I gulp greedily. I hadn't realized how thirsty I was until now.

"Whoa, there. Slow down or it won't feel too good." She takes the cup from my mouth and hands it to me. I start to sip it now instead. I clear my throat and try to talk again.

"Thank you," it comes out a little raspy but I continue anyway, "How long have I been here?"

"Three days," she says this as if it was no big deal. Three days! So many things could have happened since then. I start thinking about Shane and if he missed me, if mom came to the hospital to see me, or if anyone from school was worried-namely Rane. I mentally shake my head. Now why would someone like Rane be thinking if I was okay? He wouldn't be.

I just nod and was about to ask some more questions to see if I was alright when another person walks in. His black hair stands out against the white of his lab coat. He walks to the edge of the bed and I notice the gray hair around his ears.

"Hi. I am Dr. Smith. I see that you are awake- which is good. I came to tell you how your health is." I sigh.

"Good, I hope?" I look into his kind light brown eyes. This time, he sighs.

"Good and bad." Bad? I hope not too bad. He doesn't seem to pity me, so I guess that's a good sign. "The baby is fine, fortunately-" I interrupt him as what he said starts to sink in.

"Wait- what baby?!" I don't think I heard him correctly. I get into a sitting position and look at the man in front of me. His face is set in shock.

"You didn't know?" As I shake my head he says, "Well you are one month pregnant, my dear. Congratulations." My head spins at the news. "Now in the fire you nearly lost him/her but he/she is one strong baby and survived..."

I don't really hear anything after that. I was pregnant... and Rane was the father.

Damn, can my life get any more weird? Next thing you know, werewolves will be real. Oh wait- they are.

_____________________________________