Chapter 10

Chapter 10

I sat, stunned, at my mother's confession. A smug smile was on her face.

"Now I don't have to pretend! I have waited so long for this!" she sighs after saying it. My chest hurts painfully and she laughs. She is just so happy about it all. That's what hurts the most. All these years and she never really liked me. I have so many questions now.

"Medella's father got me pregnant and a year later, he cheated on me. That's how you came to be." she adds with a flip of her blonde hair that I had thought I had inherited from her. I was so wrong. She was only Shane's and Medella's mom, but nothing to me. She was a stranger, a stranger in my own home. Well, I guess I was the stranger in her home.

"But... How? I mean, what happened? Who's my mother? Why did he cheat? Why-" she laughs and I am cut off by the way it rings in my ears. It's cold and vile, holding absolutely no warmth.

"Get your answers from your father," she stands and starts to walk away.

"I don't even know who he is! Where is he? Who is h-" she cuts off my endless questioning once again.

"He's closer than you think, and you, my dear, will see him soon." With that said, she walks off, up the steps and into her room. I hear her laugh just as she closes the door. I still sit in my chair, not having the strength to get up and do something. I don't even know what I would do.

My phone rings in my pocket and I jump. I take it out of my pocket and answer in a daze.

"Hello?"

"Hi. It's... Rane." I hear the masculine voice say in the phone. Damn, even his voice sends shivers to me over the phone. I finally realize that I was talking on the phone with... Rane. How the hell did he get my number?

"Oh. Ummm.... How did you get my number?" I probably sound like a choking cat.

"I-I.... uhhhh.. Well I was- like- um- Layla." It's cute that he was stuttering. Oh. Layla. I should have known. I nod but then see how stupid that is because he can't see me.

"Oh. Okay, yeah." Wow, Elaina, great reply. I shake my head and try to get a hold of myself. Soon I'd be stuttering like Rane was. "Soooo..." I didn't know what to say.

"Sooooo..." he says the same thing as me and I laugh.

"You called?" I remind the poor guy, he seemed as lost as I was for words.

"Oh. That's right, I did." I giggle. "Well... I was wondering- it's stupid- but maybe, sometime, we could... you know... go out?"

My heart stops. Did the incredibly handsome, popular, macho man Rane just ask little Ms. Nobody out? I was ecstatic. Then I realized it was probably because I was his baby momma. The one he accidentally knocked up and now he has to play goodie two shoes so his mother doesn't kill him.

His mom was thought to be very strict with her kids. She had the life anyone would envy. The big mansion home, big family, and the loving husband. If you ever saw the couple, you would think they were soul mates. But soul mates aren't real... are they?

"Elaina?" I shiver as he says my name but his voice brings me back to reality.

"Oh, yeah. I... I would love to."

______________________________