Chapter 13

Chapter 13

My breathing becomes labored and I stare at the door for what feels like forever. The nearing footsteps knocked me out of my reverie along with the "Elaina? You okay?" that I got from Rane's mother.

"I mean, it's okay if you have to pee... pregnant ladies gotta do what they gotta do but still remember to fetch them boys on your way back, nnkay?"

I don't respond. My mind is too muddled, my ears filled with the sound of my rushing blood. My heart pounds, and I suddenly have to go - get away. It was all just too much at the moment.

My knocking knees suddenly pivot around along with my feet and then I'm off, running down the hallway, headed straight for the back door. I had seen it the night of the party - sometime in my drunken haze.

The cold air chills my uncovered arms, I hadn't gotten my coat on the way out the door. It was, unfortunately, back inside with the she-wolf. Would this make her a bitch? Considering she is a female dog - sort of. I shake the thoughts away, my hair tangles slightly in the branches that I now feel slapping against me.

I was in the woods behind Rane's house, somewhere I probably shouldn't have gone considering they were werewolves. They practically ruled the forest...

The bottoms of my rain boots sloshed in a puddle that I had run through, splashing dirty water everywhere. I was glad for my rain boots at that moment.

I was getting confused and I had no idea where I was. My next breath came out in a sob. I wasn't even sure why I was starting to cry, really. I just was.

Arms circled me as my knees knocked together, falling to the ground. I was pressed against a chest and I cried.

Everything was now starting to get to me. Reality was crashing down - and it was crashing hard. I didn't even know either of my real parents. Not even a name. The lady I had once loved - and still might - that I had considered and called "Mom" didn't care for me. She acted as if I wasn't even there anymore, barely even acknowledging Shane, her actual son. Was he hers? Or did our father knock up someone else, too? Did Shane and I have the same mother? I only knew that Shane, Medella, and I shared a father but definitely not the same mothers. It hurt me when she ignored him, like a punch in my gut - what did he feel?

I was pregnant - I was only seventeen! I couldn't even leave the house legally. I didn't have a job. The father was a fucking werewolf.

My life was quite messed up at the moment. A big roller coaster of bullshit that a teen girl shouldn't go through.

I sighed and leaned into whoever was holding me. My tears were starting to slow and I know that I looked like a giant mess. I didn't care who it was, I haven't had someone hug me in what felt like forever.

"Shhh, it's okay. Let it out."

Rane.

I didn't even care, it just felt nice. If he was going to stroke my hair and give me even an ounce of compassion - fuck it, he can sleep in the bed with me. That's right - sleep. No funny business though. I've had enough of that messing my life up right now.

Maybe a little cuddling. I wonder if he cuddles? Oh well, maybe he can go to his wolf form and keep me warm - it's effing cold at night.

I'm going crazy, I realized, I must be.

"Elaina?"

My thoughts were automatically stopped when his warm breath blew across my ear when he said my name. I shivered with pleasure.

I turned to look at him, he was close. His forehead only inches away. His blues eyes looked different up close - bluer with a splatter of gold flecks. It was hot.

I wasn't even going to try and stop my mind from thinking about Rane - I might as well. Besides, I was going crazy, right?

He sighed and the hot air blew onto my face, his breath minty fresh.

"You're a werewolf," my voice came out a whisper, awed. I wasn't scared anymore - my reason of thinking saying that he could have easily killed me if he wanted to. His eyes would have portrayed his thoughts, they would have betrayed him if he has intent to kill me.

He sighs.

"I guess I have to tell you about werewolves now, huh?"

____________________________