Chapter 21

From Chapter 11, A dream of Elaina's:

My bare feet run across the green grass without a sound. They pad carefully through the thicket of twigs and leaves. Darkness caresses my skin and surroundings. The only light was from the full moon, peeking through the trees that tower above my head.

I was not yet tired but I would be soon. I was not a werewolf, but a witch. I couldn't continue running as long as they could.

I hear footfalls behind me, they get louder and louder. I turn my head a fraction and catch sight of a black wolf and a light brown one. They are big, way bigger than normal wolves. I know they are werewolves and I doubt that I can outrun them.

Brown hair flutters over my eyes briefly and I almost trip over my own feet. I manage to keep upright but they are closer now.

My hands slap branches and leaves from my face. My legs are getting cut by the briars that stick up from the ground, making me bleed.

I squint my eyes when I think I see a flash of blond hair. I shake my head and pray that she isn't here, that the blonde wasn't from her hair. I would die for her, I've been alive way too long now anyway. She has yet to live.

I know that my praying has gone to waste when she yells my name. She says it three times, I count.

The way her voice carries on the wind tells me that she is in my path, my only way to freedom.

I turn back around and face the wolves.

I can't bring them to her.

"Please! Answer me!" she yells at the top of her lungs yet I won't say anything.

As the wolves barrel down on me, I can't control the scream that rips from my throat as they prepare to jump...

Chapter 21

I run through the forest, my breathing heavy. I swear that the scream had come from this way. I also knew, somehow, that it was from Layla.

Was this why she didn't want me to go in the woods tonight?

I shook my head and screamed her name out.

"LAYLA!!"

I didn't hear an answer. I look around wildly. I wasn't even sure what I was looking for. Something to pop out at me, maybe? Something that had answers.

I didn't know where I was either. I was too intent on finding where the scream was coming from. I hadn't heard a scream in awhile though.

"LAYLA!!"

I didn't know what was worse, not hearing a scream or hearing one.

I call her name again, that making three times.

"LAYLA!!"

My breathing comes in pants, getting harder each second. I turn in circles until I hear growling.

I still, frozen to the spot. There are at least three wolves close by. Is Layla being chased by them?

I run to where I think the growls come from. I realize something. I have never been that smart these past months.

I mean...

I went out to a party.

I got drunk.

I had sex with a stranger.

That stranger being a werewolf - even if I didn't know it at the time.

I got pregnant by it.

Now here I am - chasing after wolves.

Shit.

"Please! Answer me!" I yell out, hoping she would actually obey my plea. She didn't. I hear and see something worse.

I see Layla run out slightly to where I can see her. I see that she plans to try and detour the wolves into following her instead of seeing me but it doesn't work.

I run to her yet I wont be fast enough. I scream out at the same time she does.

Two wolves are preparing to pounce on her. Our screams bound around in the woods, shrill and high. I know someone had to have heard it. I'm crying, I realize. My face is wet with tears.

The lead wolf starts to jump as the other turns to me. I slowly back away, shaking in fear. I know that they can all smell it, yet I don't care. I'm not even scared for me.

I'm scared for Layla and my baby. My arms circle my waist in a protective manner as the rogue stalks after me. I know it isn't a pack wolf. No one would dare touch the Alpha's mate, right?

They have red eyes full of blood lust. The third wolf watches from the shadows, silent but deadly.

I feel ready to cry as I see the big black wolf, the leader, jump. But I almost fall to my knees in relief as more wolves start to pour out of the forest. Rane is there too. I recognize his blue eyes on his silver wolf. He is beautiful.

A mix between dark and light brown fur suddenly hits the leader of the rogues. I know this is Jayden, he is protecting his mate.

While looking at the scene of the wolves, Jayden, and Rane, I don't see the light brown rogue in front of me. I should have. I didn't. I also didn't see the man creeping up behind me, read to knock me out.

It was really too bad that Rane was too far away... for he could have saved me.

_______________________________