Chapter 12

Chapter 12

At exactly six, there is a knock on the front door. I jog down the steps and suddenly feel very nervous. My nails are slightly chipped from my other finger nails picking at them. I look at myself before opening the door.

I'm wearing a white cotton dress that stops just above the knee, grey tights, and black rain-boots. My blond hair was down with a black beanie over it. I had grabbed a long black coat going down the hallway and I put that on. I just dabbed a bit of makeup on.

I declared that I looked fine.

The door opened with a whoosh and there stood Rane. He wore jeans, leather jacket, and black boots with a hat and gloves. All in all, he looked good, handsome.

"Hi," he says in a low voice as a light wind sweeps his dark hair to the side.

"Hi." I blush. I wasn't used to the whole dating experience considering I've never had a boyfriend as of yet. I wasn't quite sure if this actually was a date but I would take what I got. As they say 'if life gives you lemons... find an annoying kid with a paper cut! Wait- that doesn't sound right. Never mind.

He looked me over and smiled. "You look beautiful." Damn, that sooo didn't help with my blush. I probably look like a tomato right about now.

"Thanks." Another breeze came and I realized how cold he must be. "Oh! One sec. I only need my gloves." I run into the house, leaving Rane to stand outside and grab my gloves from the kitchen table.

I run back to the door to an awaiting Rane. He stands in the same place, an amused grin on his face.

"Okay, we can go now." I step out the door, turning back around to close it behind me.

"Alright, we'll take my car." His husky voice warms my already cold body and I shiver. He must have thought it was a cold shiver for he wrapped an arm around me till we get to his car. I sigh in pleasure.

He opens the passenger side door and I hop in. He runs around the car and got in as I buckle up. We took off and I was nervous again. I was in the car with Rane, my baby daddy. I almost laugh. It was funny to think of him as my baby's daddy.

 Thinking of the baby, I look down at my still flat stomach. Inside held a piece of me and Rane, something living. It was a scary thought and I try to push it away for now. I didn't want to dwell on it now, while with Rane.

I can freak out about the oncoming baby another time.

A ringing breaks me out of my thoughts and I turn from the window to look at Rane. He now holds a phone to his ear and I can't hear anything from the other side.

I barely even hear him, he speaks so low. His jaw twitches and clenches together in anger and agitation. He finally nods even if the person he talks to can't see him.

With a loud sigh, he hangs up and looks to me. His eyes are apologetic and pleading for me to understand.

"We have to go to my house. My father needs to speak with me for a moment. Apparently, it's urgent." I nod my agreement to the plan. It really was okay.

He turns the car in the direction of his home, eastward, and I realize I would be going too. I don't mind. I settle myself in the car and lay my head against the cold window.

A hand shakes me awake with a light "Elaina, wake up, love." I must have dozed off on the way for we are at his house now. I feel warm when I realize he had said "love".

I flick my eyes to the house and then to my door handle. I was about to grab it when Rane is automatically there and holding the door open.

I jump out and I feel little wet droplets hit me. It was drizzling. The drops spatter onto my clothes and hair. I'm suddenly grateful for the rainboots as there are puddles on the stone walkway.

He places a warm hand on my back and we hurry along the path. The warmth from his hand seeps through my clothes and warms my back.

We walk in and he leads me to the kitchen. He has taken my coat already and I sit on one of the stools at the kitchen island. The kitchen was really beautiful. I didn't much notice it when I came to the party. It was covered in red cups and kissing couples then.

My hand rests on the granite table top as he says, "I will send my mom in to keep you company while I talk with my father." I nod in consent. 

I sit by myself for a bit before a lady comes in. She doesn't look much like her son yet they have the same blue eyes.

"Hi," her voice reminds me of sugar and honey, friendliness and interest. "How about I make some cupcakes? You must be at least slightly hungry, with a baby on the way and all." My mouth gapes open at the lady.

Rane had told his parents? Well, I did too but... Nevermind. He can tell his parents, I guess. She shoots me a wink.

I sigh and say "okay" as I watch her pull on an apron, a blond curl falling out from her up do in the process. She is actually a very pretty lady. To be so old, she had a good figure and barely any wrinkles. I could only hope to be as good looking when I had a 17 year old son.

Ha. I would have a 17 year old son before I knew it - or daughter.

"So, Mrs. Moore-"

"Please, call me Jade." she interrupts my question.

"Jade, what's it like?"

"What?" her blond head turns with a confused look.

"Having a kid?" my voice barely comes out with the question yet she hears anyway. Her musical laughter floats around the room.

"Oh, dear. I guess it's different for everyone really. But don't worry about it... you'll have Rane's hand to squeeze every time you have to push and -" I laugh, cutting her off and she laughs too. "Too much?" I nod.

She suddenly squeals and I jump.

"What?"

"It's all so REAL! I'm really going to have a grandbaby! I really couldn't wait till Rane fucked somebody up!" My mouth opens in astonishment and I giggle. She seemed like the perfect lady yet she has a mouth of a sailor.

"Of course, I had to wait until he found his mat- uhhh look why don't you fetch the boys, hmmm? The cupcakes are done," her eyes plead for me to do as she asks and forget what she almost said. I then notice that while we were talking, she had cooked the cupcakes. How'd she make them so fast? 

My stomach growls at the delicious smell, and I nod. That was the second time someone cut off on this "mat" word. It was quite aggravating.

I walk down the hall to where I had seen Rane disappear into. I hear voices come through the door and I was about to open it up when I heard something.

Growling.

I didn't think anything of it really, they could have dogs. But when the growls get louder and I hear a "Rane, quit growling. Calm your wolf." I freeze.

Wolf?

OH.

MY.

GOD.

Rane, my baby's daddy, was a werewolf. As in howl at the moon, turn into an animal, werewolf. And my baby was going to be half werewolf.

Well, shit.

_____________________________

(Island: a high table that is usually in the middle of the kitchen and has tall stools you can sit on on one side. Or something like that, look it up)