9

"Another child has gone missing." A stack of newspapers was thrown on her desk. Before she could grab it Feitan snatched it and searched through the pages. When he finally found what he was looking for he tore the page out and handed the rest back to (y/n).

The daily word search puzzle. Todays theme was different types of cakes. Fruitcakes, chocolate cakes, cookie cakes, ice cream cakes...cupcakes, the list went on. Every Saturday morning his usual guard would rip out the word search page out of his newspaper just to keep him busy.

"Having fun?" She sneered, flipping through the ripped pages to try and read what was left of it.

"This isn't fun. It's stressful."

"Are you two done?" Her boss finally shut down their conversation. "Another child has gone missing, years of protecting this city and all of a sudden they snatch another one right underneath our noses! What are we going to do about this, (y/n)?"

She cleared her throat, unprepared for the question. "We'll work harder?"

Her boss blinked and ignored her comment. "The kid that went missing was fourteen years old. Yesterday afternoon he was heading home from school and I wasn't surprised when I found out both him and Renno were from the same school."

"Sir, I really do want to help but you're asking us to search the city for these kids when the last time this case opened you had groups of officers and detectives searching for her. Even so they couldn't find her."

"I have high hopes for you, (y/n). You out of all of the officers in this building won't disappoint me." He smiled and she had to return the smile. Of course it was a weak and unsure one. Did women speak another language that men couldn't understand? Why was it so difficult for him to understand that she needed help, a team of the best officers and detectives who could help her find these missing students.

She had two choices at that moment. Number one: she could ask him again but this time she would say her words slower and perhaps simpler ones so he could understand. (Hopefully.) Or number two, she could nod and smile, drink her coffee and watch her partner finish the word search puzzle he seemed to be enjoying.

Choice number two.

"Great and I won't disappoint you sir."

He mimicked a chef kissing his fingers when hearing those delightful words and he went along with his day. Her smile dropped when she could no longer see his figure and she glanced over at Feitan who tossed the highlighter into the bucket of pens. He stared down at his word search and with a sigh of what seemed like satisfaction he crumbled the paper and tossed it on her lap.

"The trash can is right beside you." She grumbled, tossing it in.

"Why didn't you tell him we needed help?"

"I did and he ignored it."

"And you're just going to let him ignore you like that?"

That was displeasing to hear. How ignorant was he?

"You don't understand because you're not a woman."

"Well if he has such high hopes for you on this task then obviously he knows that you don't need a team of ten idiots to find this girl." He leaned back in his seat and pulled his tie loose. He wasn't used to the uniform yet. His other hand reached for the newspaper again, hopefully there was a crossword puzzle. "You just like to complain."

"You're right, I apparently needed just one idiot." She snatched what was left of the newspaper and stomped off to retrieve another one that wasn't ripped. Of course he wouldn't understand. He was a man. He was a criminal. He was mean. And he was most likely a sexist fool who would think calling a woman hot was the best compliment when in reality pretty, beautiful sounded much better. He didn't get the chance to snap back at her but he did follow her.

"How about we run back to the club and talk to that Simone guy again."

"Simon? The club? No thanks, that was not fun."

"Not fun?" He rolled his eyes. "Right, making friends with the workers and getting to play dress up was all just business for you."

"It was just business. I didn't mean any of it that night. I had to do what I had to do so we wouldn't get caught and possibly get our limbs chopped up and then thrown in a garbage can." She tossed the newspaper into the trash bin and when she grabbed a new one she skimmed through the pages to find the missing child paragraph.

"Getting on my lap and kissing me was strictly business?"

Her eyes widen and her jaw dropped. She covered his mouth and died inside when a few of her coworkers managed to hear.

"Ah that's an inside joke, he's joking about that, I promise." She whispered to them and when they carried on with their work she pulled him out into the empty hallway. "You know very well that if I didn't do that we would've been dead by now."

"I didn't say I hated it but you should've bought me a drink first though."

"Strictly business and I have a boyfriend who I am marry in a year." She showed off her ring. "It won't happen again."

He slapped her hand away from his face.

"Don't lie to yourself, we both know that you forgot about your boyfriend. Not a single thought of him crossed your mind when you decided to wear stripper clothes, and not a single thought crossed your mind when you climbed onto my lap and kissed me." He teased. "Those men that were following us didn't even blink an eye towards us and even after they were gone you continued on."

"It was strictly business." She repeated once again but this time it was weak, she hoped that he would drop the topic but he continued that on anyway.

"Are you sure?"

She didn't even know if she was telling him the truth at that point. He was right about her boyfriend. She didn't worry about him and sure it was a mistake but she had to admit she enjoyed that kiss.

The moment she climbed onto his lap her mind went blank. It was as if he was a magnet, pulling her closer and not letting go. His smell, his hair, his lips and his arms wrapping around her waist kept her up all night and she struggled to sleep afterwards. She didn't want to admit but she thought about it everyday and every morning when she saw him in her kitchen digging through her fridge she was tempted to touch him. Even if it was carelessly. An innocent bump or her shoulder brushing against his as they walked or how sometimes when her knee touched his neither of them moved away.

She didn't understand the saying that a lover could steal your breath upon the first kiss but after that night she did. The music blurred in the background, everything moved slowly and his warm lips were addicting.

It was new and he was addicting.

She snapped out of her thoughts and laughed in his face, nervously. "I'm sure."

"Okay then, where are we going now, detective? Since it's obvious that your boss is starting to get impatient and wants you to find the kid now."

"We aren't going anywhere and you're going back in your cell."

"What?" His little cute attitude he had on earlier dropped and his face paled.

"It's New Years Eve and I have the day off. That means I have to take you back to your cell for tonight."

He bit his lip and began to grow furious. "What happened to letting me use your guest room? I can't go back in that cell."

"You know that you're sentenced for life, you can't get used to this. When the day comes that we find that girl you're going back in that cell."

He chuckled in disbelief and then a scowl formed on his face. "I forget that I'm just being used for this."

"You act like it's my fault that you're in prison. You accepted the job, you knew what you were going to do and how this was going to end." Her face softened. "It's only for tonight, you'll be back at my place by tomorrow morning."

He sighed. "Fine."