14

It was around three in the morning when Feitan finally returned back to the apartment. He reeked of cigarettes and after hours of trying to do this investigation on his own he ended up with nothing but a dead end. No wonder the case was still unsolved, most investigators ended up in a dead end as well. Or in a ditch.

He was ready to call it a night. A hot shower is what he needed and if (y/n) was still awake he'd love to keep her company for a few more hours. But when he came back he found the door to her apartment open.

-

The chief and Janice both stared down at him after his explanation.

"She's missing." Janice repeated once again, not fully believing the fact that her best friend and only friend was missing. After years of training and always being careful, how was it that her friend just went missing?

"I knew this was going to happen." The chief sighed. "She doesn't even have her phone with her, there's no way to track her."

"We can use the street cameras." Feitan suggested. "I can find her! Just give me a few hours and..."

"Oh Feitan, you can't do that." Janice gave him an awkward smile.

"What? Why not?" He jumped out of his seat and both of them warily backed away. His eyes then softened and he realized that they were both afraid of him. Who wouldn't? He was a criminal and a monster to them. It didn't matter if he managed to find that missing girl or (y/n), he'd still be viewed as the bad guy. This only made things worse too. They didn't believe him, they didn't trust him either. They both probably thought he did something to her.

"This whole situation is really messy. Without her you can't leave the prison." The chief explained.

"Without me you'll never find her. I know how this works too, I can find her." He fell back into his seat.

"We're going to have to put you back in your cell until she's back."

"If you can't find a missing child how are you going to find (y/n)?" He tried to convince them but the chief was already ordering a few of his officers to grab him. He tried to pull away, still having hope that they'd let him help but as he was dragged back into his cell he completely lost hope. The cold floor and silence was once again his friend.

The boring breakfast, lunch and dinner was back. The constant muttering and talking during the night kept him up, along with the cold, hard bed. Freezing showers in the morning and a long hour of useless therapy. He wondered how she was doing, if she was alive, if she was okay. Deep down he somewhat blamed himself for leaving her side, if only he had just stayed there with her then he would've still been sleeping on her couch which was a lot better than sleeping on concrete bed.

He rolled onto his side, almost imagining her sleeping by him. He'd wrap his arm around her and pull her closer. He didn't need a blanket or covers to keep him warm, he had her right there anyway. But he couldn't understand why he had these thoughts and urges. Why couldn't he do it when she was right by him? It was like his mind would go blank. How could he have so much courage to run from the police, fight with them and threaten others but he just couldn't get himself to make a move on her?

Maybe I'm scared of her. She threatens me too much. The thought of that nearly made him laugh.

"What's on your mind?" A voice finally pulled him out of his thoughts. He looked over to the man who sat in his cell across from his. Chrollo had just finished reading a page in his book when he caught sight of the depressing cell across from his.