~ Chapter - 30 ~

- I L A R I A -

I was in my bed reading when Xander came home. He was clearly in a bad mood judging by the way he slammed the door shut violently, rattling the whole house. I wondered if I should go down and check on him or should I leave him alone. Nobody else was home and I wasn't sure how he would react either. Xander is quite confusing at times. I never know what to expect from him. He might snap at me or he might actually listen to me quietly.

I didn't had to spend much time contemplating though cause Xander barged into my room in minutes.

"What did you say to Saisha?" He questioned glaring at me and he looked awful. His hair were messy and his eyes looked swollen as if he has been crying.

"What?"

"Don't play dumb and tell me what did you say to her?" He yelled making me flinch slightly.

"I didn't say anything to her, Xander.We barely even talked." I said and it was the truth. We didn't got much time to talk. It was hardly 10 minutes.

"Then why did she fight with me, huh? You cried about everything to her as well, didn't you? That's what you always do. You can't deal with anything by yourself and keep crying and complaining to people." He scoffed.

"Can you please stop and tell me what is your freaking problem and how I can solve it?" I asked as calmly as I could.

"My problem is that you are turning my friend against me and I'm not gonna let that happen."

"I didn't turn anyone against you, Xander. I have better things to do. Stop being delusional." I rolled my eyes at him. I knew he was dumb but I never thought he is this stupid.

"How do you do this, Ilaria?" Xander was calm now but his eyes were boring into mine and he was dangerously close.

"How do I do what?"

"Manipulate people and becoming the victim." He smiled. "Teach me."

I stared at him wide-eyed. Xander is always mean but I never expected him to get so personal for such a petty issue. He knows how much I hate crying and being called weak. He knows I hate when people pity me. And while I know I'm a crybaby at times, I have never ever tried to manipulate or use anyone.

"If you are just here to make me upset, congrats you have done it. Now get out." I said.

"Or what? You will call mom and dad and cry?" He smirked and tried to brush my hair out of my face. I harshly slapped his hand away and he stumbled a few steps back.

"Xander. Get. Out."

I was starting to get angry and I was about to lash out at him. Today was such a peaceful and happy day but he just had to ruin it.

"Chill out Ilaria." He scoffed. "I'm not even doing anything. But to be honest, you shouldn't have snitched to Sai about me. I stopped troubling you as much as I did because I felt bad. I thought maybe Xavier and I were being too mean. But Xav was right. You are just an attention seeker."

"You are pathetic, Xander. I didn't say anything to Sai. And even if I did, it's none of your business. I can say whatever I want to whoever I want. I don't owe you any explanation." I said.

"So you admit you said something to her?" He questioned.

"Are you stupid?" I hissed but immediately regretted it when Xander grabbed my jaw and forced me to look at him.

"Do not try to act smart with me Ilaria. Or I swear I won't be nice." He said lowly.

He was applying too much force and it had really started to hurt. Tears were prickling in my eyes, threatening to fall down. There wasn't any tint of sympathy or care in Xander's eyes. It was almost as if he didn't know what he was doing either. Like he wasn't in control. And for the first time since he came back, I actually looked at him carefully. That's when I saw it. He was drunk. That's why his eyes were red-rimmed. He wasn't crying, he was drinking. That's why he wasn't able to keep his balance when I slapped his hand away. And Xander never drinks. Why did he drink so much today?

"Now shut up and listen to me."

Scared. That's how I was feeling. My brother was drunk and he wasn't realising what he was doing. Nobody else was home and I didn't know what would happen next. I might have expected this from Xavier but never from Xander. He was always just teasing me and cracking jokes and stuff. He and I have fought multiple times in the past but he has never been physical with me before. He has never scared me so much before.

My throat was locked up. I couldn't scream. I couldn't speak.

"Tomorrow, you'll call Saisha and tell her everything is fine. That it was just a stupid fight and we are good now." Xander said calmly. "Do you understand?"

I nodded immediately, not wanting to make him angry.

"You can't even speak now?" He mocked. Tears were falling freely now but he didn't seem to care.

"Y-yes. I u-understand." I managed to say.

"Good." He said and finally loosened his grip.

I didn't say anything. I didn't even move when he stood up and started for the door. He turned around just when he was leaving and shot me a wan smile.

"Don't poke your nose in my business again baby sister. Goodnight." He said and left, shutting the door behind him.

I didn't even realise I was trembling. I harshly wiped away my tears and walked to the bathroom to wash my face. My jaw was still hurting and it would surely bruise.

My thoughts were all jumbled and messed up and I couldn't think clearly. I was so hurt and confused. I had so many questions. Why would Xander think I snitched on him? What did Saisha say to him? Why did he drink so much?

What the hell just happened?

"People go but how they left always stay."
- Anonymous.

Hi Guys!
How are y'all doing?

I'm so sorry for making you all wait so long but everything's been hectic these past few weeks and I didn't have the time or energy to write. I am not able to think of ideas to write as well. It's confusing. I'm trying though. Thank you for being so patient.

Festival season is coming as well so I might not be able to respond to all the messages and comments but I would surely update on Diwali. Promise.

Wishing you and your family a very Happy Dussehra in advance.❤️🥳

Question of the chapter- What's your favourite festival?

- Vote - Comment - Follow - Support -
💖