Ch-13-Letter-?

.   .   .

The door rang and I looked up curiously, then regretted it. I saw Kater with a lady who I think I've seen pick up Alex a few times. They must be mad. Mad that Karter had to switch schools.

I tilted my head down so they wouldn't see my face. I just stared looking down at my frozen yogurt that became less frozen as it melted.

I hope they didn't recognize me as they walked past me to get their own frozen yogurt. I watched them out of the corner of my eye. They looked happy, getting frozen yogurt together. I reached my hand in my jacket pocket and felt a paper. No, it wouldn't be good to do it now. But Alex isn't here. It's better to do it sooner than later. But Alex's mom is here.

I saw dad walking back so I took another bite of his frozen yogurt and then went back to eating mine. Dad sat down in front of me and stared at his vanilla frozen yogurt for a bit. "Did you eat some?" He asked picking up his spoon. "I think it melted." I smiled at him.

He dug his spoon into my frozen yogurt and took a bite. I stared at him in jokingly disbelief, I pretended to be offended and surprised. "It looks like yours melted a bit too." Dad smiled at me. "To-shey" I said.

I was basically done with my frozen yogurt. I might have eaten a bit faster at the end to hopefully leave sooner. Dad saw I finished my frozen yogurt. "Ready to go?" He asked. "I can help you finish your frozen yogurt." I joked at him. "If you want to leave." "Nah, I can wait till you're done."

An idea clicked in my head. I picked up my garbage, putting the plastic spoon and paler napkin into my bowl. I walked over to the garbage can and dumped my garbage in.

When walling back over to my dad I made a last-second decision. I quickly took the paper envelope with the name "Karter" written on it, out of my jacket pocket and placed it on the table Karter and the lady sat at. I quickly walked back over to the table my dad sat. I didn't dare look back. I knew they were watching me.

When I was going to sit back down at the table dad stood up. "I'm ready to go." Dad grabbed his garbage from the table and walked to the door. I followed behind him closely.

When we got back outside he threw away his mostly empty bowl in the outside garbage of another store. He unlocked the car. I was inside the car and buckled up by the time dad opened the car door. He got inside and also buckled up. "Who was that?" Dad asked. Oh great. "I was just delivering a letter for someone." I said then turned my head to face the window. It wasn't a lie.

I felt dads eyes on me, I could also see him facing me in the reflection of the window. After another few seconds, he started up the car and we finally dove away.

I did it, Lindsey, I just hope you were smart about what you wrote in the letter. Or it'll take even longer for me to forgive you.

"So, who was the letter to? And from?" Dad asked almost a minute into the drive, back home I assumed. There was no way out of this, I could lie. But he'd know. "It was too... an acquaintance?" It sounded more like a question than a statement.

I sighed and started out the window. I didn't want him to tell mom and have her investigate me about it. "A friend hurt someone." I said cleansing at my dad, trying to see if there was any sign that he knew what I was talking about. But his eyes were glued to the road. "So I just gave the apology letter." I said.

It was quiet for son time. Dad was probably trying to piece it together, or he already knew and didn't know what to say.

"Well, that was nice of you." Dad spoke up after another minute of silence. "I hope the letter was nice, and you delivering it won't affect you." I nodded my head watching trees blur past the car. "Yep." I didn't know what else to say. I didn't know what to say.

.   .   .

When we got home I went straight to my room. I was done with today. I just wanted tomorrow to come already. I dumped everything out of my backpack onto my bed. Then I started filling my bag with clothes and essentials for the weekend.

I packed almost everything, the remaining items I needed to pack could be left for tomorrow. I looked at the pile of school supplies and work on my bed. I debated whether to clean it up now but quickly decided against the idea. If I did clean and organize the papers on my bed, that means I would find my homework, and I didn't want to do any home now. Mom couldn't make me, she wasn't here.

I decided to grab one thing from the pile of school items. I grabbed the book I checked out from the school library. Then sat on Lindsey's bed to read the book.

I've only been reading parts of it during lunchtime. I didn't want to eat while reading the book, because I didn't want to damage the book at all. So instead after eating I would read parts of chapters if I had time.

I was also afraid to be caught reading the book at school. I didn't want anyone to know what type of story I was reading. They would all make crazy assumptions, especially after what happened.

So instead I read the book in hiding, under a table at lunchtime in school. Or now, on Lindsey's bed at home, when mom wasn't home.

.   .   .