Hopelessly hopeful - Sonic x Reader

Ayooo, another request. It's short but I hope that's fine ;v; I just don't feel like writing too much about sad stuff lately... 
Next three chapters will be fluff oneshots :> I just need the comfort 😭

Art by drawloverlala

[Unedited]

___________________________________________

Darkness.

That was all you could see in that tunnel. No end, no light, nothing at all.

Everything was pitch black.

Was life really that meaningless?

Was it too much to ask to live a normal, beautiful life without getting punched in the face all the time?

Was this what you deserved?

It feels like the whole world is conspiring against you and letting your soul wander in eternal damnation. Not a spark of hope resisted in you.

Not one.

You wanted to perish.

...Not really, but that's all you've felt so far.

Just leave this cruel, gray and pitch black world and float in your own. That's what's been going through your head for a while.

And now that Eggman and his minions wanted to destroy and take over the world, there was already a lot of chaos and unhappy feelings and emotions floating around, it was not particularly lucrative to have such thoughts on top of that.

Everyone was hopelessly lost from the start. Who could save the oh so great world out there?

There was one person - a hedgehog - who played a very important role in the world. Who played a very important role in your world.

Sonic the Hedgehog.

He was always there for you and always made sure that you were fine, physically and mentally.

And there you both were, sitting on a bench at an abandoned park.

The menacing red of the atmosphere painted the sky in an orange- ish hue, which altogether drove you into a depressing mood.

"You're so quiet. Are you okay?"

The blue hedgehog asked, clearly surprised at your sudden change in behavior. Normally, he would be sprinting and jumping around full of energy and panache, but today seemed to be different.

He too, seems to approach the day more calmly than one would expect from the blue blur is used to.

However, your (e/c) eyes - once brighter than all the stars combined - wandered to the pebbled ground before you, drawing a line in the dirt with your shoe.

"...I have to be..."

Your answer wasn't what the hedgehog was hoping for, yet he moved a little closer to put his hand on your shoulder. You lifted your head to look into his emerald eyes, only to see the most empathetic look in them.

"You don't have to be. It's okay to cry."

And as if his words worked wonders, you let a few tears fall. You could almost feel them bursting through your eyes like a dam. 

As if they were just looking for a trigger to be finally released from all the pressure.

Your tear-glazed eyes made contact with his' again.

Sonic's gaze softened as he wiped away your tears and pulled you closer. You could hear his heartbeat running marathons in his chest.

And that is exactly when you broke down.

You could not help but cry and sob in his embrance.After all you have been through; after all this abuse, this neglect, this pain, this kind gesture felt akin heaven.

The comfort was overwhelming.

And it seemed like Sonic found comfort in your arms as well.

He continued to rub circles on your back and nuzzled his muzzle between your hair / fur / feathers. His breath tickled your (a/t) ears, also seeming to work as a form of comfort for you.

The blue hedgehog would never admit it, but... he too, was afraid of the future. He too, was starting to loose hope. He too, has to carry a lot of weight on his shoulders. Sometimes he feels that way too.

He'd happily take all that weight off your shoulders if it meant it would make you feel better.

He was glad that you were crying for both of you. The tears that he could never let go of now came from your eyes. And he was very grateful to you for that.

As your sobbing calmed down, he lifted your chin with one hand so you made direct eye contact with him. He tugged away a few loose strands from your face and gave you a genuine smile.

"Can you smile for me, (Y/N)? It always gives me hope."